Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Building a strong tow rig...what's the right way? (02 CTD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a strong tow rig...what's the right way? (02 CTD)

I'm new to this and have been doing a lot of research on the best way to gain power for towing. Intake, 4" and gauges are a given. After that there are too many choices. All the fueling box choices: Edge, Quadzilla, Bullydog. Then there are injectors, and then to add more choices there’s the mad ecm. I'm lost here and have no idea which way to go. It seems most like the Edge Comp, but I've read some posts the EZ are problematic? Haven't heard much about Bullydog and the Quadzilla boxes seem to be on the extreme side? Nobody talks much about hypertech tuners.

Would an Edge comp alone be best? Or would a mad ecm (I really like what I've read about this) and 80-100hp injectors be the most reliable way to go? To be sure I understand, injectors alone will gain without a fueling box, right? This is my DD too, so fuel, reliability, fuel economy and drivability are important.

I know there's not a single right answer but if you're happy with your combo, post it up!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much you pulling and what kind of terrain are you planning on towing in? I pull my 24ft enclosed up some pretty steep grades and just adding an EZ edge and modding the wastegate on the turbo has made my towing experience a good one.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:46 PM

I'm pulling <6000 over the Colorado passes. It pulls pretty good stock but it needs more, like I don't want to feel it back there How long have you been runing the EZ?

EDIT: any links on how to mod the wastegate?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was starting from scratch, I would get a MAD ECM and some F1 injectors. Next a 35/40 hybrid. If that was still not enough, I would add a Blue Chip box. Still not enough, time for twins.

Since you are going for towing, make sure you leave room in budget for an exhaust brake. I would go with an inline brake. Stay away from the turbo mounts just in case you ever want to upgrade that turbo.

Don't forget a clutch upgrade too.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 PM

What a 35/40? And is a Blue Chip a pcm?

Honestly, as good as it pulls now I should be happy with 80hp and maybe 100-150ft/lbs?

Twins would be sweet but the kits are $4500 and I don't know enough to build my own so that's a ways off.

Do you think with 100hp and 150ft/lbs, I'll need a clutch upgrade?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:16 PM

Something I should mention is I still have 20K on the waranty so whatever I do has to be reverseable. I just realized that with the core charge on injectors and the ecm I might be SOL on going that route until the waranty expires
Old 07-22-2005, 07:04 PM

Edge Ez will not void your warrenty as long as you take it off.

Or just buy the comp and don't tap the wire for all the extra fuel until you warrenty is over.
Get guages, intake, and exhaust if you want but with the ez I would only worry about guages.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a comp (untapped) and some 275 injectors, then when you want more power you can always tap the wire. I have that set up and usually just run the injectors while towing untill I hit the mountains then I use the comp (untapped still , man I have willpower) cant go wrong with that combo , push of a button turning the comp off or on is worth the extra money alone.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine's an HO, but see signature. It yanks our heavy 5th wheel just fine!

Rusty
Old 07-22-2005, 09:02 PM

I am very happy with my combination (see my signature), except I started to loose my clutch this week. I have been very careful with it and thought it would last, but just discovered I was wrong. I pull my 12,000 trailers (Sundowner horse and 34' HitchHicker) over mountian passes here in the Rockies and love the combination.

Steve
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 PM

I have and older VanAaken (they have more low end torque) with 275 injectors (just installed).

I was pulling a 12,000lbs flatbed with hay and I was screaming YEEEHHAAWWWW every time I was stepping on the throttle, even with tranny slipping like crazy.

My dream setup is a MAD ECM, Formula1 Mach 1.6 injectors and a new Van Aaken.

Of course, since I have auto, a Goerend upgrade is a MUST.

--------------------

I am editing right now since I have to add:

GET A NEW LP (lift pump) mine gave up almost immediately after I added injectors.......
Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 PM

I really like my VanAaken. Tons of low end. Very good throttle response.

Not much for racing though.

Doesn't seem to increase EGTs over stock at all and that is with 30 lbs of boost compared to the stock 20ish.

I would think something along the lines of a VanAaken or EZ with 275 or Mach 1-1.5 injectors would be ideal.

Personally, I at least want to add Mach 1.5-2 injectors, but not sure if am going to change to the EDGE Comp or not.

A South Bend clutch would be needed at that point(Comp and Mach 2s). Probably a different turbo too.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO go with the MAD ecm and some DonM 1.6's. You can get stock injectors on ebay for about 50 bucks. You could use those for the core and keep yours. With the 1.6's you shouldn't need a new turbo, but you will eventually need a clutch. I'm willing to bet with the catcher and 1.6's your clutch wont last long. Another area of concern is fuel delivery. You'll also need to upgrade that. 85 extra horse will kill you lift pump. You could go with a pusher pump, holey blue, fass, air dog, rasp. I wont give my opinion on those becuase its the equvalint of being caught in bed with someone's wife who like brand X.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:27 PM

I pulled the trailer in my photo's with just the comp and bhaf with a stock straight pipe. It would get a little warm getting up to speed but it would cool down to about 1000 degrees and cruise just fine.