Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

building a set of twins

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
building a set of twins

I want to build a set of twins for the heck of it I guess. I'm not sure I'll even put them on my pickup, but it's something I want to try. I've decide I'm going to use a stock hx35 and HT3B. I know, I know the 3B is out of date but it's cheap.
My questions are is MIG better or TIG.
Does anyone have links to places to places where I can get the silicone hose's and other odds and ends. I spent about 4 hrs reading last night and didn't find anything. Any other useful info you're willing to share will be much appreciated. I know it will take a while, but I'm up for the challenge.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be a shame to build them and not put them on your truck. They work better than any single for a performance daily driver. You can buy all the metal tubing at a napa auto parts store. I don't remember the name of the place I bought the hoses from. I think I found them by searching for "silicone rubber hose".
Old 09-17-2005, 10:27 AM

high temp silicone. they have an ebay store and a website. and like ron said, you can get everything else at napa. except maybe the hose for your oil returns. i had to get mine from the local welding/hydraulic repair shop. good luck and have fun.

dave

ps. as far as welding, i'd say whatever you're more comfortable with. if you mig it, you just have to do a lot more clean up on the insides of the the pipes. a lot of hot air will be going through there and finding all the little leftovers.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
DTR Advertiser

You can get the hoses you want from turbohoses.com. All the tubing and extras are at airflow online. Tim
Old 09-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has anybody ever arc welded one of these setups together before?

Just out of curiosity... Don't see why it wouldn't be possible...
Old 09-17-2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
So has anybody ever arc welded one of these setups together before?

Just out of curiosity... Don't see why it wouldn't be possible...
I would think stick welding it wouldnt make as nice of welds because of the lack of control compared to MIG or TIG. TIG welding would make the best quality welds but make sure you are good at TIG before attempting something like this.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:04 PM

I Prefer a mig because you tend to get more distortion with a tig. If stick welding is your thing, it would work fine. Just watch out for dingle berries on the inside of the pipes.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Muted User

I must respectfully disagree with the last comment. TIG will by far give you the least distortion. You have complete control over the arc heat and filler metal deposition independently.

If you have the ability and time is not a consideration, TIG is the nicest way to weld most anything. Nothings prettier, bar none.

KP
Old 09-17-2005, 11:00 PM

If you have the ability and time is not a consideration, TIG is the nicest way to weld most anything. Nothings prettier, bar none.
Amen......
Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Banned

welding

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
I must respectfully disagree with the last comment. TIG will by far give you the least distortion. You have complete control over the arc heat and filler metal deposition independently.

KP
I have been welding for a long time, welding for a power generation plant for 20 years. I use tig or a combination of tig and stick on a lot of repairs. Tig is great for quality welds, out of position welds on stainless steel for me is easer with tig. A tiger paw sanding disc for a 4.5 inch grinder is a good way to really make a slick piece of pipe or tube if you dont wont to see a weld. I dont see why you could not use stick or wire if that is what you have, good luck Jim
Old 09-17-2005, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys. It will be a little while before I start on them, but I want to get all my ducks in a row before I start. I wanted to do TIG but wanted to see what all your thoughts were. I'd have to buy a MIG. On the bright side if I bought a MIG I'd have the twins done in no time due to living in the garage.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:21 PM

One more question. How do you clean up the inside of the pipe. With the length and the bends. Seems like it would be a PITA.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:56 PM

i prefer mig welding but please dont be one of those guys who braise there pipes....its uncontrollable and very undurable
Old 09-18-2005, 06:16 PM

FWIW - I have seen various pictures of RonA's fabrication abilities and given the quality of his work I would tend to agree with is comments.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts

KP

I dunno, I've seen oxy-acet welds that will make you want to cry.

Check this:

and this:

These beautiful welds were done with this little gem:

For this reason, I think I'm gonna teach myself oxy-acet before I touch a MIG or TIG.

JMO

Quick Reply: building a set of twins