Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Building a better BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mike D
I've been following on the TDR. Nice work Hohn. Do you think if you relocated the filter to the where the battery sits it would help with the kink?
Hohn, switch to the battery location as you will have more room to work with.

there is a pic of just that in my gallery
Old 06-23-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pics at my TDR gallery
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM

There are updates to the TDR thread:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...90#post1245690

Sorry for the link. It's hard to juggle this across two forums!

Justin
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 PM

Also, I'm working with them to expand this project a bit. It's bigger than me. i don't have a 3rd gen to test it on, and I can't work through those fitment issues.

For second gens, i think it's fine out of the box now. The duct tape (while looking cheesy) is a viable solution. It's also the highest-flowing one. I was told that a 4" outlet version could be done, but it would flow less. That's right-- the OEM hose is the biggest restriction with the 6" outlet filter! Works for me

I'm trying to convince a Donaldson rep to become a member here to help answer questions about this unit. I would ask for DTR to guide them through the process, as I don't know if they would be considered a vendor/advertiser or what not. If they aren't advertising for the product, just answering questions (via PM if need be), then I can't see a problem.

I'm hoping they will open this test up to a willing 3rd genner, as that's probably going to be the biggest market for this unit if it ever sees the light of day.

Justin
Old 06-25-2005, 01:06 AM

I personally wouldn't trust the duct tape, I'd go with a silicone or something of that sort to seal it up instead. But in either case I'd be happy if they just gave it a part number and let me buy it!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Any new word from Donaldson? My turbo needs to sing louder!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 PM

I sent them an email yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back.

jlh
Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=RI1

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=HH

Hohn, I was wondering if using the above items would work connecting the filter to the factory hose.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Yes! Turbo whine must be heard!! Deaf by 20 that is my goal!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:12 AM

Unhappy

Hohn was wondering how this test is going. Tried the link to the TDR and can only view the original post since I'm not a "registered user". This seemed to be doing well and was wondering about any further product release information. thanks

Joseph
Old 10-28-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think many are anxious for updates ;>)

Hohn, I too have been stymied by TDR's new policy of blocking non-member's viewing of forums. Do you have any more details of the Donaldson filter, such as a part number we can use to order it and whether or not they've decided to make a 4" outlet version? Also, do you have any pics in your DTR gallery (I had to ask since I didn't check before replying .

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I copied this from one of the last posts of the thread on TDR. It was posted by Hohn.

Bad news, fellas.

Got the word from Donaldson that the official Ki-bosh was put on this project. For one, the filter was too expensive after the modifications. For two, it was too expensive after modifications. For three, they thought it would cost too much.

So, bust out the paper BHAFs. I'm gonna have to find a way to fit in a Farr Ecolite.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
That is flat out awesome! I'd have to come up with a new mounting system for my truck though. In the stock location on a 1st gen truck the inlet would be right up agianst the inside of the fender - not good for airflow. Of course, I could just hack a hole in the fender and mount a scoop over it. Ram air!

Thanks for sharing that with us, Justin.
Dave, you have been listening to me too much. Hood scoop? Next you will want to move the stack to the hood on an elbow right out of the .

Check out what Mike D came up with.
Hey Hohn, Look in Westmarine .com and check out their exhaust elbows and hoses. Those sport fishers run alot bigger stuff than we do and it all gets piped. It is a little pricey.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Being impatient as I am I ended up buying a AFE Proguard7 which is around the MHAF size range. It is around 7" on one side and 9" on the other with a 6" inlet. So I had the same issue as this donaldson filter... what I did was buy a 6 to 4 reducer from Home Depot, it was intended for heating applications. While it appeared air tight I used silicone on any potential leak point where the sheet metal came together, it works great.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM

I have to kick this thread here since I can't post on that other website. Hohn, I can't remember if you ever got any flow data on this filter?? I can't understand why they woukd make a filter flow so much for 50hp genset??

Quick Reply: Building a better BHAF