Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Building a better BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hohm,

I think the idea that someone from TDR had of getting an email address for someone at Donalson that everyone could send their comments to about getting this to market for Dodge CTDs would be an excellent idea. As was pointed out, they might take more notice from a lot of different people saying they want it than what one or two would say. I for one would really like to see them come out with one that was easily adaptable to our 4" intake hose so we could install one easily like you said without a lot of fabricating and such. Not that I and a lot of others here can't fabricate things but it sure is a lot faster and easier when you don't have to, plus it makes it that much more likely that more people with less capability (whether due to a lack of tools or skills or materials) would also buy this or any other product.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents worth. Let us know if you get an email address we can use to let them know how much we'd like their product in our CTDs.

Steve
Old 06-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BoostdCTD
That spot would actually be under vacuum during driving.
OK, so turn on the A/C and cool the intake charge yourself!
Old 06-11-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you were being facetious but...

Actually some drag racers do just that, have a water to air intercooler then cool the water with the A/C before the run.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:14 PM

Hey Hohn don't forget to post the pics over here...

(I just got back from checking the other site TDR and Hohn has the filter now!)

I getting really curious about this filter setup...
Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't someone just follow the link the the pics on TDR? Anyhow, I was able to jury-rig it so it's a little better.

The kink in the hose isn't so bad, now. I ended up using a DWV 4" 90 degree elbow, but sliding into the adapter and the intake hose as far as i could. The footlong elbow ended up adding about an inch of length, but it also gave me some angle to the hose, reducing the kinks.

It's still a little too long. If Donaldson makes this with a 4" outlet, but with the SAME overall length, then we are GOOD TO GO.

This filter is SICK. I can't express how much air it moves. I unblocked my wastegate and let it bleed off boost over 21psi. Guess what, at 21psi I can clean up DD2s with no power chip or boost fooler. EGTs will get up to 1200, but you're already speeding by the time it gets there. This is at 6000 feet elevation, too!

I think I'm going to recommend to Donaldson that they pretty much leave the filter as is, only change the outlet to 4".

I want to do some longer-term testing before I give them my input, though. I want to see how clean the intake stays (no dust), and also maybe get an oil analysis done, too.

We've had a LOT of rain here lately (well, for Cheyenne), and the filter is hi and dry. Filter media maintains integrity very well, even with a lot of abuse in my clumsy hands as I try to shoehorn this monster under the hood.

I LOVE THIS FILTER! I just wish it fit better. A 4" outlet is the map to world peace-- OK, maybe not, but it will give ME peace regarding my intake! The 4" version of this fixes it all, as far as I can see.

Maybe they would send me a 4" version to verify fitment?? MWAHAHAHAHA!!

So here's what to look for next:
1) Donaldson makes this filter in 4" outlet
2) HOHN gets it to test and "make sure it fits"
3) Donaldson puts it in production and gives it a part number
4) Mobs of DTR and TDR folks flock to get the MOAF (mother of all filters)

HEHEHE LET'S GIT-R-DONE!!

Hohn (the same Hohn on TDR)
Old 06-11-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
Maybe they would send me a 4" version to verify fitment?? MWAHAHAHAHA!!

So here's what to look for next:
1) Donaldson makes this filter in 4" outlet
2) HOHN gets it to test and "make sure it fits"
3) Donaldson puts it in production and gives it a part number
4) Mobs of DTR and TDR folks flock to get the MOAF (mother of all filters)

HEHEHE LET'S GIT-R-DONE!!

Hohn (the same Hohn on TDR)
Does that mean somebody else could "test" the 6" diameter size one then?

I like that, MOAF....
Old 06-11-2005, 11:33 PM

Why couldnt you completely enclose the filter and run some tubes down to the slots in the front bumper? might take some fender well cutting though.

This would provide forced air to the filter and turbo. Since the front of these things are pretty much bricks, it should provide some good pressure.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:38 AM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Hon,
Did you get a part number yet?
Mark
Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 AM

There won't be a part number for this filter until all that stuff in his above list is done.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:02 AM

Opps... I didn't see the page numbers at the bottom of the TDR post so I never knew there was more.... Sorry Hohn...

Very interresting design and filter setup....
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by mhuppertz
Hon,
Did you get a part number yet?
Mark
This filter is experimental and has no Donaldson part number. It's based on a compressor filter that they modded and sent to me. P/N is in the TDR thread. Something like xxx100028
Old 06-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by killfast1
Why couldnt you completely enclose the filter and run some tubes down to the slots in the front bumper? might take some fender well cutting though.

This would provide forced air to the filter and turbo. Since the front of these things are pretty much bricks, it should provide some good pressure.
Because the tubing would be much more restrictive and defeat the whole purpose. The inlet on this thing is 10.5" That's a LOT of cross-sectional area. How does that compare to the area of a couple 3" or 4" tubes? The tubes are WAY smaller.

In fact, you'd have to run the equivalent of two 6"- 7" tubes or so to have the sames cross sectional area.

Do YOU have room for two 7" hoses under your hood?

Me neither. The restriction caused by the tubing easily offsets the benefits of getting cooler outside air, or ever a Ram-air effect.

Now, setup a hood scoop feeding this bad boy straight into the 10.5" inlet, and you have a LOT of air.

jlh
Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know there's some benefit from the cowl hole, but how about a cowl hood?
What other ways are there to get cool air to this beast? (other than removing the ENTIRE right front fender)
or maybe getting hot air out of the engine compartment would be easier...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:54 PM

Maybe I'm not looking at the Donaldson literature right, but what's that "safety filter"? Is that the two-stage that's only for heavy-duty off-road equipment?

btw, this looks like it might fit nicely up into the cowl hood on my truck.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:06 PM

OK, it's time for an update.

First, I found a way to adapt the filter to the OEM hose ducting with NO RESTRICTION!! Hehehe-- duct tape. Laugh if you must-- I am! What struck me as funny is that I've used duct tape for everyone EXCEPT a duct! So it never occurred to me to use duct tape!

Anyway, the previous setup was a noticeable restriction. The 90° elbow closed off the effective duct area. To see for yourself, look straight into a glass. Then slowly tilt the glass and notice how the "window" into the glass slowy becomes an elliptical shape. Finally, as the glass is tilted to 90° from where it was before, the effective "window" is closed.

Duct-taping the OEM hose INSIDE the outlet of the POwerCore filter not only got rid of the restrictive extra plumbing (with the adapter, kink and all) BUT it also got rid of any and all fitment issues. It fits PERFECTLY now-- with probably even a little more space than a traditional BHAF.

Putting the OEM hose inside the filter also gives you more effective flow area. This is the LEAST possible restrictive way to use the OEM intake hose. Any other way involves some kind of insert inside the OEM hose, and this reduces the effective flow diameter of the OEM hose by twice the thickness of whatever it is you stick in there. Sch 40 PVC is thick stuff, and if you are using that, it's killing flow. DWV is much thinner, but STILL reduces the flow of the OEM hose.

Think about that aspect of installing a traditional BHAF. With a traditional BHAF, you slide the OEM intake hose OVER the outlet of the BHAF. Now, HOW THICK IS THAT OUTLET? The walls of the BHAF outlet are not thin, and that's why it's rigid enough to just clamp the OEM hose directly over it. So the effective airflow diameter of a BHAF is greatly compromised-- EVEN MORE THAN THE STOCK FILTER HOUSING! Note the thinner walls of the stock filter housing outlet relative to the BHAF, because it's made of a harder plastic instead of rubbery plastic whatever stuff

So, fitment is a solved problem provided that the duct tape holds up. Since I have a good 3 inches or more of airspace between the filter and the closest part of the turbo, the tape won't see much heat. I think that this could actually be long-term viable with duct tape!! Crazy, I know. If the duct tape works, then we are in BUSINESS to get this filter out there on the market. It also would flow a lot better, because necking it down to a 4" outlet would probably reduce flow.

Kernel, you asked about dirt. Well, it's way too early to draw conclusions since I've only put on about 3K miles with this thing on. That said, dirt is ZERO on the intake hose, turbo blades and all that. Zip, nada--it's as clean as I remember the stock setup being. It's probably cleaner in reality, as the stock filter has the leaky clamshell panel design.

One last thing in this update: TURBO WHINE. Before I fixed the ductwork and my crappy installation, turbo whine was pretty reasonable-- about what a regular BHAF would do.

Now, it's like an F-16 is following me at point-blank range! I can almost hear my warning bipper from his missile lock!! I caught myself "switching to guns" a couple times-- he was close!

Turbo whine is sufficient to be heard over the HVAC when set on Max A/C on the highest fan level. My HVAC on max A/C is loud; the whine is louder.

I have to admit, the crazy whine sounds cool around town, but is VERY annoying on the hwy. I'm not sure if this is because I cut a Scotty-style cowl hole or not. It's probably a big part of it. I'd say that anyone else who wants to run this filter with a cowl hole should consider the silencer ring and/or TAG. Whine is very strong and gets really bad-- or good, depending on whether you like your ears to work later in life.

I'm not sure what additional benefit, if any, my little cowl hole provides, so I may just plug it back up. I may also rig up a dam of some kind like others have done to reduce whine.

Thus far, I am LOVING this filter, and Donaldson is going to have to hunt me down like a rabid animal and pry it from my dead fingers to get it back.

Justin

Quick Reply: Building a better BHAF