Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Braided Stainless How-To

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braided Stainless How-To

Just wondering if anyone has done any braided stainless hose work before? I am thinking about upgrading my tranny lines to it, and just want to know how do you attatch the fittings on the ends?

Thaks,
Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
If I recall it is not that hard to put the ends on just a pita. It is important to get a clean cut of the line. Have been told a chop saw works great. Unfortunately I don't have one so I wrapped the ends in tape very good and used a grinder with a cutoff wheel while the line was clamped in a vise and cut as close to the vise as possible. Have been told that using a hacksaw with two oppossing blades at once works ok too. You want to make sure that the ss threads are not frayed after the cut. Otherwise you have to clip them with some snippers to get a good clean fit which I had to do. Be careful the threads are very sharp and you will more than likely poke your fingertips more than once. That will of course make a few choice words come out of your mouth. The fittings really just slid on with a bit of coersion and then you tighten them down. You do want to be careful to not overtighten them. I used russell fittings and each pack came with a set of instructions and it was very straightforward and I had never done them before. One other thing to remember is that SS line is very abrasive anything it comes in contact with it is going to abraid so after you get them installed you will want to check to make sure they are not or are not going to rub anything if so get some heater hose, slit it and slid it over the ss line in the affected area and then use some zip ties to hold it in place. Hope this helps. One other thing there are several different types of ends out there and the method may be diffrerent for the different styles.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm getting ready to do some fuel lines using the braided stainless stuff. I have been told that a Dremel cutoff wheel works good. I like the idea from Barry of taping.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a tip, go ahead and order you a couple of cactus ***** with the little spiny needles on and toss them around for about a day before you start. Then your hands and fingers will be ready to work with the stainless.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:34 PM

Didn't know a cactus had *****. Must be a southern thing.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:46 PM

Seriously, I have always seen the hose cut by wrapping it in tape and cutting with a chop saw (Which I have, Matt). Then terminated with AN fittings.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:49 PM

Good one Andy

How do the fittings seal to the hose? Is there something inside that it clamps around? Any pics or instruction samples?
Old 02-08-2004, 07:46 AM

The most common is the compression style.

Click Here for install instructions
Old 02-08-2004, 07:55 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Not exactly on topic but has anyone ever noticed that a ***** with a stainless wire burns like crazy? Why, when stainless is supposed to be a "clean" metal? Regular mild steel cuts and nicks don't hurt near as much as stainless. Maybe that is why BarryG mentioned the choice words coming from your mouth when you get pricked.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Click on the link, then on Hoses and Hose ends, then How to Assemble.

http://www.russellperformance.com/automotive/index.html

It gives text and pictures.

edit:
I guess if ya snooze, ya lose.
I see another, even better link was provided.

Great find amartinson.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:30 AM

The stainless aeroquip hose (or Parker etc) is nice, but that stainless is tough and if the hoses start chafing on either another hose or whathaveyou, it will wear a hole ( or gouge) right thru it.

There are some really nice hoses out there with the AQP inner liner and a substantial rubber cover that is oil resistant and easy to maintain. You can even put a fire sleeve on them i your worried about road damage.

I am currently putting a inline external spin on tranny filter with FC332 swagelesss aeroquip fittings. The pressure in the cooler lines is ruffly 100 psi or so when in TC lockup. http://www.batinc.net/files/phose.pdf I am installing a pressure gauge in the line as well as a temp gauge. (good time to do it)

I have spent 20+ years working on widebody aircraft and corporate and have rarely seen stainless braided line with the exeption where engine pylons are and they want to keep them fireproof.

Just remember, you still have those OEM dodge rubber cooler lines up front, and your only as strong as your weakest link...

Just MHO....

Cheers everyone...
Old 02-08-2004, 05:55 PM

Is there a standard AN to SAE conversion? It looks like 8 AN is 1/2", is this about right?
Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 PM

hey crimedog,

-8 is 1/2". Each dash in an AN number is 1/16" for hose size and the appropriate fittings.

AN fittings are 37degree flare or JIC type ( I think). SAE stuff is generally 45 degrees.

hope it helps

Cheers
Old 02-09-2004, 01:32 AM

Has anyone used Swagelok SS braided hose and fitting??? I use this stuff at work but havent yet checked to see if it would work for this application....

http://www.swagelok.com/PRODUCTDETAI...26CTSCKey%3D38

Stupid question....but what kind of threads are used on the fuel system??? Male NPT or Parallel thread??

http://www.swagelok.com/product.asp?...H214-SH-VS.jpg
Old 02-09-2004, 06:03 AM

Amartinson:
I don't undersand the problem. It's the male cactus he was talking about. But then again in todays world, maybe the female does too.

..Preston..

Quick Reply: Braided Stainless How-To