Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bought an Edge instead of Gauges - Now I'm not so sure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't had a problem with the Edge sender, but the Quad sender is another story altogether....
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
Haven't had a problem with the Edge sender, but the Quad sender is another story altogether....
That's something you don't have to worry about with a good mechanical gauge.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion the only way to go is a mechanical gauge. It might be expensive but it can save you alot in the long run. Well worth the money spent. And I have the Quad and its sender is total junk. I do use the tranny temp gauge on it. One less gauge to buy.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
You don't really need the needle valve, IMO. ...
The needle valve is usualy installed by the guys running mechanical gauges to keep the strong fuel pulses from making the gauge and fuel line "Buzz".
Some electronic gauge guys use it to soften the pulses to the gauge sender.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM

My Edge Juice w/Attitude has so many benefits that I couldn't get with mechanical gauges I feel it is money well spent. I can get audible and visual alerts, overboost and EGT protection, turbo timer shutdown, and a ton o' power for the cost of 3 mechanical gauges and pod. I think the mechanical gauges are foolproof but again, I've had zero problems with my Edge and love the versatility of seeing what I want when I want it on my gauges.... JM2C....
Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
The needle valve is usualy installed by the guys running mechanical gauges to keep the strong fuel pulses from making the gauge and fuel line "Buzz".
Some electronic gauge guys use it to soften the pulses to the gauge sender.
The valve is more for safety purposes in order to shut off the fuel flow if the line to the gauge ever leaks for any reason. Pulsing fuel gauges has not been a problem since the last piston pump-fitted 12V was produced.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 PM

The VP-44 pulses pretty good, from what I've seen.... Install needle valve, almost close completely, pulsing minimized for sender reliability....
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 AM

I'm getting about 20-23psi and drops to 17 under hard acceleration. One of the mechanics at the diesel shop has the same set up as me and he said he's routinely running about the same psi. They all told me that if you get and Edge programmer, you must get a FASS or Airdog.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Well, you need something that will put out enough pressure so the PSI won't drop to "0" at WOT, that's all.... 17 under hard acceleration is fine, IMHO....
Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM

I am going with a Edge it seams so much simpler that a bunch of gauges that I probably won't pay attention too.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I just wanted to thank you all for your input to this thread. I am really happy with the Edge and it is very simple to set up. I am now in the process of replacing my LP because it is not putting out the fuel pressure that it is supposed to. I started another sort of related thread to this one about fuel pressure readings - what is normal etc. I found that the install of the Edge product was pretty straight forward and it all cleans up really well under the hood. The display is endlessly adjustable and very informative. The audible warnings are loud enough to get your attention and not scare the crap outta you at the same time! MY bride says that I really need to up the excess MPH warning from 75 to 85MPH for her driving style. :>)

Cheers!

Mike
Old 07-25-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike L
I just wanted to thank you all for your input to this thread. I am really happy with the Edge and it is very simple to set up. I am now in the process of replacing my LP because it is not putting out the fuel pressure that it is supposed to. I started another sort of related thread to this one about fuel pressure readings - what is normal etc. I found that the install of the Edge product was pretty straight forward and it all cleans up really well under the hood. The display is endlessly adjustable and very informative. The audible warnings are loud enough to get your attention and not scare the crap outta you at the same time! MY bride says that I really need to up the excess MPH warning from 75 to 85MPH for her driving style. :>)

Cheers!

Mike
how much fuel psi you're at now? You have Edge turned off, right?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi Silver R/T! Yes, the Edge is off until I get the LP issue resolved. Thank you though for the reminder. I started to work on the LP tonight and, of course, got interrupted with family stuff - Good Stuff though - supper with the daughter and grandkids :>). The 10mm 12pt bolt at the top of the started motor is a real bear to remove and I'm kinda hung up there for now. I burnt the crap outta my left hand yesterday and wrenching is pretty painful right now.

I'll keep ya'll posted as the saga unfolds.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to remove starter to remove LP? I removed starter bolt using jack and piece of 2x4 under the wrench. It was so stuck on there that it started to lift truck before it broke loose.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM

likely too late now but, if you remove the fuel canister, the lp is easily replaced from the top.

Mike I still have a spare banjo bolt for you, I took a trip to california (disneyland) and we are just outside Salt Lake city, heading back, will be back in 2 days or so

...now if I could just find some parts stores to get tow mirrors/ headlight assys I'd be happy as a clam

Quick Reply: Bought an Edge instead of Gauges - Now I'm not so sure