Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

both hi and low beam on ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlue
CTD NUT, is there a way you could get a picture of removing the pin #1 thinga-ma-jiggy? I'd really like to do these mods before I head out for christmas. The place I'm going doesn't belive in streetlights.
I got the idea from genos garage......they had a section about keeping the fog lights on with the highbeams and were talking about making a jumper wire on the later model trucks to replace the interlock relay and simulate normally closed contacts.........I realized you don't even have to do that - just stop the relay from being triggered to open by the highbeams and you are good to go.

Sorry, no pics......but this is VERY simple.........go to the relay/fuse box under the hood.....when you pop the cover and are looking down at the box, it is the relay that is in the lower left corner.......the underside of the cover has it labeled as "FOG LAMP RELAY 2".......remove this relay and flip it over so that you are looking at the terminals........the terminals are actually numbered beside each one.........locate the #1 terminal and cut it off with side cutters.......there is usually a schematic on the side of these relays that tells you what terminal is what......you simply need to remove the ground or the trigger to stop the relay from activating.......this will cause the relay to be permanently closed......re-install the relay and you are done.......it is that simple
Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. I'll try that tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Banned

Ok. I went to do the fog light mod today and ran into something interesting. Frist, there was no "Fog Lamp Relay 2", just "Fog Lamp Relay". B, instead of cutting one of the pins off, I just went and put a piece of paper in between the contacts. When I pulled the top off of the relay, I decided to click on the fog lamps so I could see the relay click on and off (I'm easily amused ). Well, when I turned them on, they didn't come on. As soon as I pushed the little arm over, they would come on. This was before I put the paper in. When I put the paper in, they come on when I turn them on and stay on, which is what I want. But I want to know why they suddenly don't work without the paper in there.

Quick question on the headlight mod where you connect the two wires. Did yall have to remove the battery's and battery trays to do it? Thanks for the help yall.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Blue,

Do you only have one fog light relay?...........If you do, I guess the 98.5 is different from 01.........If you don't have the high beam interlock relay, DC is wiring the high beam fog light lockout differently..........let me know if you only have one fog light relay.........

Are you referring to Rattle Rattle's low beam mod?...........if you are, the 2 wires you connect to stop the high beam from locking out the low beam are inside the column in the harness that is connected to the multi function switch..........if you are talking about connecting your low beam wire to your high beam wire, IMO, the best spot for access would be under the battery tray but you must use relays for that mod or else your low beams will be drawing their power through the high beam circuit in addition to the high beam current when the high beam circuit is activated....
Old 01-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

I've got an 01.5 technically on mine and I've only got one fog light relay. The mod still works. It's just that if I take the piece of paper out, the fog lights won't come on at all.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and run a couple of relays for the lights and just do it under the battery trays. I've got WAY to many wires under the dash to screw with it. And I've still gotta add the wires for a comp.