Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost Gauge Importance

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost Gauge Importance

I have pyro/fuel gauges in my 01.5 and in the next couple days or so I am adding a boost elbow to my truck along with the 4inch tubro back and van aaken v5 and was wondering just how important it would be for the boost gauge? i know about it for seing if you have leaks n what not but as of now things are kind of tight and i dont really feel like tearing apart my apillar, also what kind of boost levals should i see i done some reading on the forms last night on the topic and seems around the 30 mark. thanks in advance

Jason,
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly for just mild performance mods, a boost gauge isn't really that necessary. Once you start stepping up to a lot more power and bigger turbos, then it's a good idea to have one to make sure you're not going to blow anything up with too much boost. Yes they do help detecting boost leaks, but usually when you have a boost leak you will notice it when your power goes to crap.

And with the boost elbow properly adjusted you should see around 30psi.

~Nick
Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I am by no means an authority, the boost guage isn't that critical. I like mine for my own reasons, not anything pressing. I recently noted my wastegate is stuck because I can build more boost than before, triggering my overboost code and defueling. I also use it to help my fuel economy, noting how much boost I am making relative to my needed acceleration or cruising speed. Really, it is just fun to watch! The boost and pyro do more moving than my other guages, cruising down the highway. Keeps me from getting bored!!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put one on because I was adding the other gauges (or should I say I was adding a boost so I added the other gauges) . Anyway my waste gate controller was bad so I wanted to see what was going on.....sort of like a fuel pressure gauge....nice to see what is happening.