Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost and FP Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost and FP Gauge

I am working on getting all parts for installing gauges. I have everything for pyro and trans but I have questions about boost and fuel pressure. The gauges are ISSPRO and no isolator. I have not found a port for boost so do I tap the air intake horn or did I overlook the port. I know I need a needle valve for FP gauge but what else? I have heard of grease gun hoses to dampen pulses but do not understand. And where is the best place for FP... at the filter and do I need to order new banjo bolts and gaskets????? I really ask for your understanding and thank you for all your help! First diesel but I am having fun learning about them!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First things first......the boost gauge......there is a 3/4" pipe plug between the MAP sensor and the fuel filter housing that you can tap into for boost pressure......be careful, there are 2 plugs; one is a coolant the other is manifold pressure. Here is a pic of the 1/4" hard line and fittings I used to plumb the boost gauge. There is no need to drill and tap the intake horn for a boost signal.

The next pic shows where you can get fuel pressure readings on a 99.....on top of the fuel filter canister is two 1/8" NPT pipe ports....one is pre filter the other is post filter.....I have a gauge screwed into the port for pre filter and the plumbing running to the in cab gauge for post filter.....also pictured is the needle valve in-line on the hard line coming off the filter housing. There is no need for new copper washers for the banjo bolts because you don't need to disconnect any fuel lines.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the pics and info. I just wanted to make sure I know everything before I get started. I don't believe the install will be too hard thanks to everyone's help!!! Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 PM

I have to ask about tapping in pre filter and post filter. I just got a fp gauge so I am wondering what is the difference go post or pre? Does post filter just let you know when your filter is dirty.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 AM

I got a bolt that replaced one of my intake bolts. so that was easy, I have a fp isolator and got a hose from geno's that screws onto the test port on the VP44. I might have a pic or 2 in my gallery
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by d0dg301
I have to ask about tapping in pre filter and post filter. I just got a fp gauge so I am wondering what is the difference go post or pre? Does post filter just let you know when your filter is dirty.
On your 01 you can only really measure post filter fuel pressure easily since there are no 1/8" pipe ports on the 00 and later fuel filter canisters to measure pre and post filter pressures.....in the case of the 00 and later trucks fuel pressure is tapped at the schrader valve test port on the VP44. And yes, the reason for measuring pre and post filter pressures is to be able to tell the difference between an ailing lift pump and if the filter is too dirty.