Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

boost controller w/ez more power???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost controller w/ez more power???

Ok, I have read many a topic on boost, no when you buy an ez it comes with the boost elbow....<br><br>now correct me if i am wrong, more boost PLUS more fuel equals more power?!!<br><br>Now if the ez elbow gives roughly 28 psi instead of 19, it would add the corresponding amount of fuel no?<br><br>So If a person added a boost controller and ended up with say 32-38 pounds of boost, no more power would be created?<br><br>I have read a few posts that sort of confuse me, with people adding the boost controller to an ez or comp.... <br><br>I assumed that the ez- or comp would meter the fuel to the amount of boost...<br><br>Could somebody clear this up for me....<br><br>
Old 04-09-2003, 08:57 PM

Re:boost controller w/ez more power???

Others are better equipped to answer this than me, but here goes. More fuel requires more air, which means boost, and air flow thru the filter and out thru the exhaust. It is kinda a delicate balance. If you get a fueling box such an an Edge, yes you should install the boost elbow to take advantage of the additional fuel. The more fuel the more boost you need up to a point. Boost also very important in controling EGT's. Max boost out of a HX12 turbo shouldn't exceed about 36psi which is usually good enough up to Stage II injectors and a Comp box.<br><br>Clear as mud, huh?<br><br>Roger
Old 04-09-2003, 09:06 PM

Kinda- An HX-35 turbo isn't much good past 30psi or so. More boost doesn't equal good cool air. A comp plus stage 2 injectors with a stock HX35/12 on 5x5 will hit 1500 pre turbo in a matter of seconds.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:42 PM

Ok, well then, let's put it this way. More boost in and of itself does not mean more power. Fuel + Air = More power. If you are pouring to much fuel with out the necessary boost/airflow then you will smoke at WOT which means you aren't burning all of your fuel which is wasting energy.<br><br>On another note, I run a puny HY35 turbo, 29psi and post turbo even on 5x5 with DD2's do not exceed 1000 degrees. Now granted, I don't leave me foot in it for to long at a time, but how long do you need to? I can get over a 100mph pretty darn fast. That's plenty enough for me. And when I tow, I run on 1x1 and for long pulls up hills I just keep an eye on things. I know why my EGT's are under control. I have a LarryB heat shield!<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Roger<br><br>< br>
Old 04-09-2003, 11:55 PM

adding more fuel will make more boost on its own. When you put more out of the exhaust (by the added fuel) the turbo will spin faster from the additional heat - and walla, more boost. low restriction intake (air filter &amp; box) and low restriction exhaust is the key to low temps.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:04 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

MisterKTM has got it nailed. A Cummins does not build boost first, then adjust fuel. It gets more fuel, then boost builds. The fueling box will see the boost coming up, and in concert with other sensor inputs, will adjust fuel accordingly.<br><br>An EZ, nor a Comp by themselves, do not require the elbow to build peak power, however the elbow does help lower EGTs and will stop the box from defueling early in the powerband. When you add injectors into the mix, the boost elbow is a requirement to get enough air into the cylinders to burn the fuel you re supplying the truck.<br><br>Rod
Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 AM

I'll jump in with a question. I have the puny turbo. Which would be better way to go with my EZ. Should I drill/tap for the elbow or go with the Turbo Master? Do they accomplish the same thing? Is the Turbo Master basically an adjustable boost elbow?