Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

bombing for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bombing for beginners

I promised I'd stop with the stainless nerf bars.......
Now I feel I must have MORE POWER.
I would like some input on a basic upgrade--looks like an EZ and maybe the ScottyII will do it (gauges first), do I HAVE to mess with my injectors? And what the heck are banjos?
By the way, although I do some towing--timbers and lumber occasionally, most of the time I'm running empty. Just want some more ba--I mean guts.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:13 PM

Re:bombing for beginners

It might help if you took a ride in some 03s that have been bombed and see exactly what kind of seat of the pants you get at different power levels. Just mentioning this because it may be that you want more performance than the ez is going to get you. You dont need to change injectors unless you are looking to go to some bigger numbers. Just keep in mind that injectors are going to call for more cooling (more turbo) and you will be saying adios to your stock clutch around 400 hp or less depending on your driving habits and load. Just about any box and injectors will put your clutch in to short timer status. It sounds to me reading your post that you are just starting out and I would highly recommend attending a bomb party or dyno day or both in your area. You will meet lots of like minded folks that typically are quite happy to take their trucks for a flog so you can get a feel for what you can expect at different power levels. There you can also see whats available and most owners are happy to jaw about what they have done and the results they have gotten from various parts.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:51 AM

Thanks Crabman,
I'm just looking for a bit of a boost, seems I can get at least 50hp out of the EZ. Do you think I need to upgrade my intake with such a simple mod? I'm gonna try one of those new Flowzair filters from Amsoil, that may help a little, but any suggestions?
Also, got any idea how I can find out about a dyno day around here? I don't see too many members from my area (like none), and Texas or Ontario is a bit of a hike. :
Old 08-24-2003, 08:33 AM

Hey Tarpilot you should call rod at www.wildcatdiesel.com he has done a pile of stuff with his 03 and he is always more then happy to share info. I know that the boxes coming out for the new truck are worth waiting for over whats out now but it depends on what you are after. The scotty III for you truck is known to reduce EGT and produce better throttle response and a little more hit. Hope that helped.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:56 AM

The ez is a good mod that requires no other changes. You will gain a noticable improvement in the trucks responsivness and towing is much better with little or no egt concern for those towing light loads. At stock or near stock power levels you gain very little with intake and exhaust mods in terms of power. You do get a drop on egts while towing but since you do little and light at that IMO you might be better off spending the money elsewhere. There are fueling boxs out (Bullydog and Quadzilla) and coming out (TST and Edge) that will excede the hp numbers of the ez by quite a margin but that does not make them a better choice in all cases. If you have not already been there you might want to head over to the TDR www.turbodieselregister.com and check out the local chapters. As I recall they do have one in your neck of the woods. As Jamie said Rod is a good man and you can also try some of the other vendors for information.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:19 AM

Tarpilot,

It always starts out with wanting a LITTLE extra power. You can get an EDGe Comp for a few extra dollars - if you dont pierce the pump wire you will essentially have an EZ with the option of upping the HP later if you desire. This way it will likely save you from buying an extra fuel box. Just a thought.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:33 AM

Dr Evil He has an 03 No comp yet
Old 08-24-2003, 03:07 PM

hmmm.....maybe it would help if I actually read the signatures before i respond ;D
Old 08-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Thanks Jamie, Crab, and Mr. Evil,
I'm gonna call Rod, I've read a lot of positive posts about him and his biz. I didn't realize there was new stuff on the horizon-I'll see what Rod says, although it sounds like an EZ would be easy to find used.
Crabman, I'll check out the TDRegister later tonight, thanks. (time to put the kids to bed).
I'm looking forward to a little more zip.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Mr.???? ;D
Old 08-24-2003, 08:47 PM

OK, OK, DOCTOR. You PhD's are so snippy.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Go bigger than you want. You'll appreciate it later.
Just blew a ricer off the line today with my newly ground plate and 3000 GSKs. It wasn't one of my BOMBing goals, but geez, I guess everyone could have seen the bug coming but me! I need more HP!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:45 PM

Ya hit the nail on the head with that comment....exactly my point. More HP = better....much better....