Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Body lifts and diesels

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lifts and diesels

This is kinda of weird question, but why exactly is it that you are not supposed to put a body lift on a diesel. It's always kinda made me wonder what the reasoning behind it is. I have heard that it screws up something with the intercooler and also the torque of the motor but nobody has ever been able to give me a logical answer, it was always a guess. Any of you guys know?????
Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 PM

My understanding is that the spacers allow the frame to flex more and stuff starts breaking and coming loose. Besides the problem of getting the fan/radiator shroud line up. Hard pressed to get an electric fan to move the same amount of air as the engine one.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 PM

If you want a good reason not to get a body lift, just go to the wrecking yard and see how nicely the body separates from the frame in a wreck
Old 08-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

Well I wasn't planning on putting one on, I have just always wondered what the reasoning was why the didn't offer them............I know people who have them on diesels and they seem to not have any problems, I could just never get a straight answer besides people either hating body lifts or just a flat out guess why they wouldn't work
Old 08-29-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beleive that the only reason is the fan. It is a real problem to get the fan raised three inches. Electric fans will not cool the engine. PA does have a diesel kit for some models.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Banned

The intercooler piping will no longer line up with a 3" difference between the chassis and the body. This can be gotten around with enough thought, but it IS the main problem...besides the usual body lift modifications that are present on all trucks.

The other by-product is body mounts lossening up due to the inherent vibrations in a diesel pick-up. The long bolts and phenolic blocks don't add up to a conducisive situation for staying tight.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Heres the kit you need for you truck, which I already ordered.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ml?id=X3pGsTG4

If you have a sport their are some additional brackets you will need, I have the part#'s if anyone needs them...And by the way stories of body seperating from the chassis are urban myth, that was back when people would double and triple stack blocks instead of doing things the right way. As you can see now days they only offer 2"or 3" , and the kit comes w/ everything you need to raise your fan, intercooler piping, and clutch cable or trans componants...

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Thanks for you replies guys, I was more or less curious what the big deal was with a diesel. Sounds like it can be done with enough thought, or with that kit that G-Note listed. Not to say that body lifts are the best choice in lifts, but I have installed them on a few gas motor trucks that I have had and I never had one ounce of trouble with them. I even got rear-end in one and everything held together like it should, even the back bumber brackets held up well.............so granted they aren't as good as suspension lifts, but for some guys on a limited budget I don't think they are a bad way to go. That's just my opinion!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:49 AM

So what is the big difference between the 1999 and the 2000. The kit says it will not fit the 1999.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

That's weird, you wouldn't think that anything would have changed between 99 and 2000, unless it was one of those not so funny pranks that Dodge did just to keep all of us guessing!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:38 PM

From what I know they offer a kit for that truck too...

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...uscon/673.html

If thats not it, scroll through this page... It should have an application for you!

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html

And No, body lifts are'nt my first choice but I am in the works to fabricate some suspension lifts for some 2WD applications. Because no body offers a suspension kit for these trucks...

I'll let you 2WD guys know !!!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM

G-NOTE: not urban myth, reality. Part of our business is a towing company, I personally have seen several wrecked trucks/suvs with bodies coming off frames, maybe not completely, but more than they should have. Also, the right way is to use a suspension lift, even Rancho says not to use a body lift in conjunction with a suspension lift. If people want to save money, they should leave it stock.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Well of course it's not an urban myth, but most people talk of these horrific stories about pucks coming through the floorboards and cabs flying off in wrecks and crazy stuff like that...................yeah i'm sure it has happened.................on a 70's ford truck with years of rust. And the only reason Rancho says that stuff is to safe their A** so they don't get sued if anything happens. Granted body lifts aren't the best way to go, and suspension BY FAR is a lot better, but most people don't have the $2,000 or whatever it costs to buy the kit and have it installed.

And as far as saving money leaving things stock, well YEAH, but obviously nobody can seem to ever do that................your signature case in point!!! Just screwin' with ya!!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM

I've never cut corners and If I felt this was'nt a quality product I would'nt even consider it. Look @ my last show truck!!!

Plus what other options do you have if you own a 2WD 3500 dually???

I will customize something to work to were I can get 37" tires under my truck!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM

PA does not make a body lift for a diesel on the 98 and 99 models. Has to have something to do with the fan and shroud. I have already made a fan bracket for the engine to raise the fan the 3 inches and secured belt numbers to drive it.

A body lift and a frame lift are two different things for different purposes, not necessarily based on money. I need the engine and transmission clearance so will go with one. Properly done there is no real weakness there, mostly old wives tales. You could actually make a steel donet to weld to the frame bracket that would be as strong as the original, but I doubt that would be necessary.

I have not taken the time to look at the fan shroud of a 2000 ctd to see what the difference is, but the body mounts are thesame and I believe that the steering extension is the same. Proper cooling would not be achieved with the fan three inches lower on the radiator, that is probably the concern. If you tell the dealer that you are putting it on a 1999 they will not sell it to you. Been there. They sell for the gas engine but not the diesel.

Quick Reply: Body lifts and diesels