Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bluechip VP44 pump cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluechip VP44 pump cover

I am thinking about buying one for my <br>2000 Dodge,has anyone used one,and <br>what do you think of it? Do you have any <br>suggestions on installing one. I know when <br>they first came out they were having some <br>problems with them.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Bluechip VP44 pump cover

I just installed a Blue Chip cover on a 2002 CTD, Saturday along with a Premium FMS. The cover is the only way to keep your warranty intact. Neat/clean setup. I know of multiple dealerships that have gotten warranty charge backs from nicks in the pump wire. This is hurting all our warranty relations!<br><br>I'm not aware of any problems with the covers or quality. Installation errors maybe. The early ones were for use with Blue Chip products and caused difficulty with other brands because the instructions were different between brands. Now Chip has changed the cover to a single stud design to prevent the Edge boxes from grounding in the wrong place. Personally, I like the older 2 stud model.......cleaner install. Just follow the instructions and check for a good electrical connection. HTH's Larry
Old 01-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Banned

I've got one on mine. Very nice. I have heard rumors about a letter being sent around to Dodge dealerships to look under the cover for the addition of the cover.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:02 PM

I am a little confused, what does the pump cover actually do?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:08 PM

There is in fact a letter that was sent to all dealers to look for tampering with the pump wire. Included are instructions on looking for the pump cover. You play you pay, not a big supporter of dealers but they do have a business to run and we must play by their rules. I still might hook up my wire, the bombing bug is growing and the wire is the easiest right now, financially.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Iron Horse link=board=7;threadid=10084;start=0#97083 date=1043697765]<br>I am a little confused, what does the pump cover actually do?<br>[/quote]<br><br>The Blue Chip pump cover replaces the factory cover and has a sharpened set-screw that pierces the wire inside the pump instead of piercing the exposed wire in the harness.<br><br>Ed
Old 01-28-2003, 07:42 AM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=10084;start=0#97131 date=1043706522]
[quote author=Iron Horse link=board=7;threadid=10084;start=0#97083 date=1043697765]
I am a little confused, what does the pump cover actually do?
[/quote]

The Blue Chip pump cover replaces the factory cover and has a sharpened set-screw that pierces the wire inside the pump instead of piercing the exposed wire in the harness.

Ed

[/quote]

Ah, that what i thought, I just wasnt sure on how it made the connection to to the pump itself. If the plate was replaced back to stock, could you get any warrenty work done? Does it work with an edge comp?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:25 AM

Ah, that what i thought, I just wasnt sure on how it made the connection to to the pump itself. If the plate was replaced back to stock, could you get any warrenty work done? Does it work with an edge comp?

That's the purpose of it (at least I think) so you can swap covers back and still *attempt* to get warranty work done.

Yes it works with and Edge Comp.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a buddy that has one for sale. Never been used. Getting ready to BOMB the Auto. ;D
Old 01-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The D/C folks have informed their people to check for tampering under the pump cover too, or so I've been told. <br><br>
Old 01-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Chapter President

I had one on my '01 eth/dee 3/4 4x4, and it worked great. Just a milled piece of nylon, with a allen headed stud that threads through the nylon cover and makes contact with the appropriate terminal. It doesnt actually &quot;pierce&quot; anything. A word of warning: Hand thread the allen stud down into the cover untill you feel contact, then go maybe 1/4-1/2 turn. Do not over tighten or you will break the electronic board under the cover. If you are'nt sure you are making a good connection, just put electrical conections together on the injecton pump, (the one you had to take off to get to the cover) and turn the key on, check for 12 volts on the allen stud in the cover. Sorry for the long post, but if you have any questions, just pm me and I can get back with you. CC
Old 01-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

I asked Blue Chip about how far down to turn it before you cracked the board. They said you will run out of threads before you crack the board. They did this on purpose.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=10084;start=0#97399 date=1043771308]<br>The D/C folks have informed their people to check for tampering under the pump cover too, or so I've been told. <br><br>I think it would be a stretch for D/C to remove the cover and look for a indentation. Most wouldn't know where to look, nor are they willing to disassemble something not recommended in a service manual, nor paid for by warranty. That said, I am my own warranty station ;D ;D, Larry[/quote]
Old 01-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=10084;start=0#97409 date=1043772177]<br>I asked Blue Chip about how far down to turn it before you cracked the board. They said you will run out of threads before you crack the board. They did this on purpose.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not true...seen it a few times. Have a pump sitting here that had a group panic effort install while I was sitting in my truck on the dyno...still looking for a circuit board for that pump as Bosch will not sell it seperately.<br><br>We are the inside track for DC with what we type here.<br>They are definately looking for tell tale signs of any kinds of tampering. Plus they can see that parameters are changed with a simple scan now with the updated equipment they are getting for the newer trucks. <br><br>The folks that think they got a warranty issue snuck past the dealer with a pierced wire will have one unhappy dealer when they get charged back for the warranty pump. If you can sleep at night knowing you burned that dealer for your issue...all the power to you. I can't and as stated here...<br><br>You play hard be prepared to pay hard<br><br>Like Roger rodbolt said; I am my own warranty station.<br>Make your decisions with knowledge. ;D<br><br>Everytime a dealer gets burnt for a warranty charge back, the more vigil they will be at scrutinizing a warranty issue. I think that they will also restrict a warranty on the truck that has the claim. Maybe Luke can add to this.<br><br>Just whats obvious, not trying to tick anyone off.

Quick Reply: Bluechip VP44 pump cover