Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Blue Chip stealth cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Chip stealth cover

Hello all. I just installed the stealth cover for the VP-44 from blue chip diesel, and somthing must be wrong. First, there were no instructions with the cover. I know it's a pretty straight-forward procedure, but I like to double check things like this. Anyway, I just went for a test drive, and it doesnt feel like it's any different. The fuel pressure does drop a little more, but the egt's and smoke arent any different. I'm assuming I should notice a major difference with the pump wire connected. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. <br> Cat Cracker.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:49 PM

Re:Blue Chip stealth cover

did you ground it?
Old 10-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Chapter President

The Comp box, or the pump cover? I called Bluechip, and they said I only needed to use the one wire. Is this wrong?<br><br> C.C.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:57 PM

From what I understand you need to ground it. I had to ground the TST Powermax that I installed on my truck. Not familiar with Edge Comp. Is there a ground wire to hook up?
Old 10-30-2002, 10:10 PM
Chapter President

The Comp box is grounded, but the pump cover is just a piece of milled nylon, with a threaded allen bolt through it to touch the contact inside the cover. I dont know what to ground on the cover itself, or if its needed. (I hate not having the instructions :)
Old 10-30-2002, 10:53 PM

You need to ground the Comp. I used the same bolt as the grid heaters. Do not use the other bolt on the pump cover! If its still there.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:36 PM

Cat,

You should notice one unbelievable heckuva difference. Just like StakeMan said, DO NOT USE THE PUMP COVER GROUND TO GROUND THE EDGE COMP (if the pump cover has a ground, mine did not)

Read this VP44 Pump is Dead Also, just like StakeMan, I grounded my Edge Comp to the grid heater.

Did you already use a test light to determine if you have power to the pump wire with the ignition on (truck not started, key turned to ON

As for the power increase, read this My Dyno Results with Edge Comp
Old 10-31-2002, 12:16 AM
Banned

I've got the cover. I grounded the comp on the grid heater also. The cover (at least mine) has two allen head screws on it. Both have wires leading out of them. One of the screws connects to the power on the comp and screws into the pump and touches the circuit. The other wire is a ground wire and needs to be ground. The allen screw it attaches to touches the ground in the pump.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:54 PM
Chapter President

A picture is worth a thousand words. <br>It had only one terminal, although it has 2 wires. Where would I ground the cover at? By the way, thanx for all the replies, I would have replied sooner, but my ISP was down.<br><br> Cat Cracker.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:17 PM

That is the new style cover, the older ones have two set screws. The ground in the cover should only be used with a Blue Chip box, you can screwup your pum if you use that ground with a comp. Cover looks correct from the pick, but as stated above, make sure you have 12v at that set-screw with ignition on, if not....tighten unitl you get a reading then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. Be careful not to over-tighten this set screw or you will crack the board beneath it.<br><br>George
Old 10-31-2002, 02:02 PM

And cracking the circuit board is very very :'( :'( :'( .....been there, done that, don't want to go back there again! <br><br>Jason<br>
Old 10-31-2002, 03:31 PM
Chapter President

Ok, went and borrowed a voltmeter, turned the ingnition on, and it says 7 volts. ???
Old 10-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Banned

Let me get this straight. If you have one of the pump covers that has two wires, unless you are running a Blue Chip Box, do NOT screw the ground wire set screw into the pump? Only connect the power to the Comp and that's it? Maybe that's why when I had it on, it didn't seem to pull that much harder or make that much more smoke. Maybe that's also why whenever I would install the cover, the check engine light would come on. It would go off after a few start ups though.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:09 PM

IIRC Cat Cracker you should see battery voltage at that tap......if you're only seeing 7 you're not making the proper connection......but don't go winding that screw in indiscriminately. I'd only go 1/4 turn at a time-maybe only 1/8 until I got battery voltage-tighten the locknut and confirm you still have battery voltage-and leave well enough alone......

BigBlue-screwing the ground screw down won't hurt anything-although it won't help either. Connecting the COMP to the tightened-down ground screw is a major bad-fries the circuit board in the pump in at least 1 person's experience. Trust me, there is no worse sound in the world than an ISB spinning over with no-start right after you've performed this operation-things start to get spendy!

Jason

EDIT: I need to clarify a little here-screwing the ground screw down properly is OK-overtightening it is BAD BAD BAD! So is overtightening the power screw! This cover is a wonderful thing as long as you don't get carried away torquing those screws down-mine has been flawless for almost a year now. It doesn't get pulled off and on-it hasn't been disturbed since its install as it was installed for a secure connection, not to fool DC warranty-wise.....I know the wire's pierced, my dealer knows it's pierced and don't kid yourself Mother Mopar will find the pierce if they have to warranty your pump.....

OK I'm done raving now!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:50 PM
Chapter President

Well, I ran out of daylight before I could try your idea JHansen, but that sounds like somthing to try. I definetly DON'T want to crack the board. The war dept. (wife) is beginning to notice my little spending binge going on... ;D<br>but I can see &quot;once you start down the bomb-ing path, forever will it dominate your destiny.&quot; ;D<br><br> Cat Cracker.

Quick Reply: Blue Chip stealth cover