Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh,

Someone here has a Godzilla blow off valve mounted on their intake horn. They're not cheap, but neither is replacing a turbo. I should just put my phrase in my signature, but here it is anyway... Spend the money now or spend a lot more later!

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/valves_godzilla.htm
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by smokindog
Ahh,

Someone here has a Godzilla blow off valve mounted on their intake horn. They're not cheap, but neither is replacing a turbo. I should just put my phrase in my signature, but here it is anyway... Spend the money now or spend a lot more later!

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/valves_godzilla.htm
That looks like the one on Tashas evil twin.. I havent heard how it works yet but I am lookin???????????
Old 08-04-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2 pressure valves (blow off, pop off) just prior to the aftercooler set at 50psi to hopefully stop me lifting the head. No studs and orings yet
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ratsun
I have 2 pressure valves (blow off, pop off) just prior to the aftercooler set at 50psi to hopefully stop me lifting the head. No studs and orings yet
Dont those basically work as a wastegate? Keep you from over boosting?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 AM

Don't forget about the nice sound you get from BOV's... I love it .
Old 08-04-2005, 07:13 AM

those valves, without electronics, i would say would work on the same principal as a safety valve on a boiler. When Boiler pressure gets too high, valve lifts, relieving pressure untill it is back too the safe zone.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by ramtd02
those valves, without electronics, i would say would work on the same principal as a safety valve on a boiler. When Boiler pressure gets too high, valve lifts, relieving pressure untill it is back too the safe zone.

Yep thats correct. They seem to work great and so far no turbo bark (I used to get it every now and then with out them)
Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM

A GREDDY type R BOV will hold up to 60psi, so it will work on a CTD...

Got one on my TUSCANI!

Plus you can change what sounds it makes from the chirp, to swoosh, to whistle...

But if you have a CAI of BHAF on yours you can tell that the wastegate on these trucks are sufficiant from the sound of the turbo, it spools down between shifts on its own unlike my car...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by hotmopr
Most gasser bovs are boost activated. On diesels they dont operate that way so they usually have a electric micro switch hooked to the throttle. so when the throttle is released it will open the BOV. I have seen one one on here that doesnt use electronics and I havent heard how it works. It is on tasha's evil twin 3rd gen.
Wait, I don't understand why a BOV would be any different on a diesel. Wouldn't the boost on the diesel activate the BOV? I was thinking about just getting a BOV and welding it somewhere on the intake pipe after the turbo.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by hotmopr
Dont those basically work as a wastegate? Keep you from over boosting?
Negative. Blow off valves mount after the turbo...and as such do nothing to control turbo rpm (which can exceed 100,000 rpm). Nor do they control the corresponding heat and expansion pressure (false boost) generated. They will, as Ratsun said, reduce pressure on the head gasket, but, IMHO, there are better ways to do that.

Any BOV's I have seen on diesels are operated off boost. Thier sole advantage is to control barking between shifts. If you want to control overboosting, and have no/insufficient built in wastegate, it takes an external wastegate mounted pre turbo.
Removing the silencer ring will do a lot to help reduce barking as well...at least it did on my B-1.

RJ
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Granted I'm a little late on this topic but I wanted to throw in my opinion.

BOV's are for releasing boost pressure built up inside the turbo allowing it to spool up quicker between shifts. AUTO's dont really benefit because they shift so fast, but manuals benefit greatly.

Basically in a nut shell, BOV's help to reduce turbo lag between shifts!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Has anybody used the turboguard BOV from BD Performance?? I'm looking at getting one of these, the bark between shifts is worrying me a little, and I wouldn't mind reducing the spool up time between shifts either.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

I am in R&D on one right now that uses no electronics, or vacuum signals, but works on a pressure differential between two chambers, thus alleviating tuning nightmares with varying degrees of boost. It would be easier to just use a micro'd open close valve....but what fun would that be? Tere will be two pressure sources...guess which ones they are and how they will work together? I have two ideas for adjustment....either make the spring adjustable on the diaphram, or incorporate a regulator one of of the two pressure sources to modify the signal.

I'm sure SOMEONE has figured out what I'm up to now.......any guesses? If it works, It will eliminate any electronics or switches and work on ANY combination of turbo(s) and/or boost levels. This of course would be for the manual guys, and would in no way be a pressure relief for top end boost control....just to keep the compressor spinning freely between shifts without rapid slowing due to loss of drive pressure.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Guys, Blow off valves have no purpose on a diesel. Blow off valve is to dump the pressure that is created between the turbo and the throttle PLATE when you let off the gas. The throttle plate closes and the air has no where to go, so the blow off valve dumps it into the atmosphere. Diesels have no throttle plate...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

I see you point, and a viable one it is, however ponder this....when the pump rack closes, no more fuel energy is available and the engine instantly falls off of rpm sharply to an idle if allowed. The cold air system is still full of pressure and volume, and the lesser engine rpm can't evacuate the accumulated air before it will try and escape back through the compressor wheel. Without the exhaust energy to sustain rotational rpm potential the compressor wheel rpm is decreased extremely quick by compressed air attempting to evacuate....and hence turbo bark. A true BOV properly sized and tuned will provide an escape route easier than the compressor for the air to escape, thus letting the compressor decelerate at it's own rate. This will net a higher compresssor rpm when the next gear is loaded and fuel energy is again present. The turbo will be partially spooled from the previous gear and lag will be reduced or eliminated, and harmful compressor air braking will be eliminated. A throttle switch actuated solenoid valve has already proven this theory, but I am not satisfied with a black and white, on/off valve that relies on complete throttle closure to operate it. I prefer to manufacture a valve that will operate in sync with an engine, regardless of rpm or manifold pressure, and without electrical components.

No one has ever mentioned tapping drive pressure to provide the differential needed to operate a BOV in its prorational state. Two sealed chambers containing manifold pressure and drive pressure respectively, can manipulate a diaphram common to both chambers. The theory is this....turbine pressure combined with a spring pre-load would keep the valve closed during normal operation. When throttle angle decreases, so does turbine drive pressure, however manifold pressure will still be up. Due to the pressure differential in the two chambers, the valve would be opened until pressures equalized once again, where the spring preload would once again close the valve, and close the system. When turbo spool again occured, manifold pressure would again rise and try to open the valve. But because drive pressure is also raised, the diaphram would find an equilibrium in the closed position...again with the help of a preload spring. This BOV could be specifically tuned to any turbo by decreasing or increasing the turbine side of the cavity's diaphram with the preload spring.....of which there could be several spring rates to experiment with until the right combination was found. Now that I've let the idea out....someone can make a million off of it.

Quick Reply: blow off valve