Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
Why not tap the exhaust manifold....curl up some metal tubeing to dissapate the heat, and run to the top side of the BOV (Drive pressure)....then tap boost pressure to the bottom.....i think that would work, NO?
Dan, Won't work, if I understand what you are saying? You can't run exhaust gas (drive pressure) no matter how cool to either side of the valve.

RJ
Old 04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you RJ but it sure would be nice for those WOT runs when some idiot pulls out in front of you or when your pulling up a hill and have it wound tight and traffic suddenly stops. I've had those happen to me and both times I didn't have enough time to roll out of the throttle. I have learned to control the bark though.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

i agree with all of you guys. i have never had it bark when shifting into OD but man does if BARK if i let off the gas. big time, and alot of the times i am not heavy in the throtle. the BOV just came in and i was reading the instructions and its so adjustable, its unreal. this will completly stop the barkin. like you both have said, i can control it, but all those sudden stops ect., thats what i was worried about cuase this turbo does it all the time, plus i am going to love that BOV sound
Old 04-21-2006, 04:14 PM

Is it because what makes up the exhaust? Corosive? People talk about DP only being litltle more than 1:1 with a single.......maybe make an isolator of sorts? A small air cyl maybe? I dont know.......in theroy it should work.....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Is it because what make up the exhaust? Corosive? ...
Carbon Buildup.... just like the inside of a downpipe or a tailpipe (cooler)!

RJ
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM

HUM......you could run the line through a.....filter of sorts.......that should stop the particulate.......no? AND does it make a differance that its dead headding WAY up in the line? I would think that would be the case if it was real close to the manifold.......just thinking out loud here.....

ALSO...do people have issues running a boost gauge to monitor drive pressure? I would think this would be sensitive to this as well.......
Old 04-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

do you guys no where i can find a sound or video clip witha BOV on a diesel, i just cant wait till mine is installed, i gotta no what it sounds like
Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by inline6power
should i go ahead and buy a blow off valve to help the turbo bark or would you guys go with a new intake manifold like the ats arc flow.
Before you go throwing your money away on the ATS manifold, you may want to check this out! He hasn't come up with a price yet, but it may be worth the wait.

BTW: You'll need to get in line with everyone else.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson

The new BD system, with different settings sounds alright, but expensive, and opening the BOV at partial throttle, if it works, sounds like chance for it opening when you don't want or need it open?

RJ

Ya, you got to watch that, especially with the catcher, until I got it adjusted right I had a couple runs where I was holding 40psi and hit a bump, BOv opened and I had zero boost instantly.

Randy
Old 04-22-2006, 12:40 PM

ALSO...do people have issues running a boost gauge to monitor drive pressure? I would think this would be sensitive to this as well....
Yes, Very sensitive. When I rigged a cheap pressure gauge to measure TIP (drive pressure), Don M said need use an inline filter. I could not get one to seal properly.... so ran without. Got the readings I needed but after 10-12 test runs gauge plugged.
Therefore, running exhaust gas through a "full time" system, like a BOV sounds problematic, to me. We do it in an ext. wastegate .... but not through the pressure operated valve; only through a flapper valve, sealed off from the cool air (boost) pressure activated valve.

RJ