Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow off valve

just wondering if BDs blow off valve or any othe blow off valve will stop turbo bark and other turbo related things like that. have a ats turbo with mid 40psi and not every time but alot of the times it will bark when i let off. the only way not to bark it is to, slowing take my foot off the pedal. just wanted to know if a blow off valve would solve my prob and if it does, what does a blow off valve sound like.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM

I've never had expierience with one, but I've heard they help reduce turbo bark alot.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

well i have not seen one in person or heard how they work but i have seen many pics with trucks with them. just not sure how they work and were they mount.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

The BD mounts somewhere along the intercooler tubing I think and is operated electrically with a signal that it picks up from the APPS.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
The BD mounts somewhere along the intercooler tubing I think and is operated electrically with a signal that it picks up from the APPS.
on the turbo side or the intake manifold side by chance, and do you have any clue on how it works. my turbo is non wastegated so i just want to cut down on the turbo bark as much as possible and just wanted to know if the blow off valve makes sounds like a blow off valve on a ricer does.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Yep it sounds like it does on a ricer.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

do you have any clue how it mounts. i have seen some that are welded on the exuast manifold. if it goes on the intercooler tubing, do you just drill and tap or what.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:12 PM

I'm into things with turbos... so my daily car is a VW GTI that is of course turbo charged. They use something called a diverter valve stock but once I starting building more boost I replaced it with a Blow off Valve (BOV) for increased holding power and sound.

Basically it's just a pressure, spring loaded valve that will open on a quick spike in pressure. They are mounted somewhere on the inlet/intercooler side of the turbo. The bad thing though is that you can achieve this in two ways... let off the throttle quickly (like in between shifts) or flat out build too much boost in which case the valve opens and dumps the excess to the atmosphere... which sounds rather amazing actually!!! Most of them for cars are tunable by setting the preload on the spring, or even different spring rates. Not sure about the BD though.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

You'd have to call BD on where it mounts but it's definately on the intake side. The ones that are mounted on the exhaust side are called wastegates and they control the amount of exhaust going into the turbo so you don't overspeed it. The BD Blow off valve is electronically actuated. It receives a signal from the APPS and when it senses the throttle being closed it opens up.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

thank you both very much for the info. since i have the aftermarket turbo i dont really wanna mess it up. i will prob get the new mst turbo from ats when it comes out next month. now personally, what would you rather buy right now if you had the $$$ an ats arc flow intake manifold or the blow off valve
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 PM

The Blow Off Valve will definatly stop the Barking of the Turbo. It releives the back pressure that is surging against the Compressor wheel after you let off of the go pedal or when you go into O/D. I had an 03 SO that would bark everytime the truck would go into O/D.
SOUND: There are some Forged BOV's that you can control the amount of pressure that is releived at a given rate. They all have a distinct sound, but if you look at some video's of the truck pulls. Pay attention to the trucks turbo whistle at the end of there runs and you will hear the loud WOOSH, or PICTCHEW - - - -really hard to explain, but it definatly sounds cool, and will increase the spool time of your turbo and increase the life of it!!

Post a sound pic after you get it installed!

Oh and even though the ricers are irritating, the Blow Off Valves still sound COOL
Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought blow off valves were the rapid PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW noise?

Or is that just turbo bark?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
I thought blow off valves were the rapid PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW PSHEW noise?

Or is that just turbo bark?
Sounds more like turbo bark to me.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

i blieve thats the turbo bark, thats exactly what mine does, but its more of a WOOF WOOF woof woof lol. so what do you guys think. should i go ahead and buy a blow off valve to help the turbo bark or would you guys go with a new intake manifold like the ats arc flow. i am ready to buy one just not sure which one and i only have the money for ONE
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Get the BO valve, it sounds cooler.

Quick Reply: blow off valve