Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Blew the HG.... Again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew the HG.... Again!

Ok, just got the turbo on, was going to go do some tuning on the AFC since it was warm out. Yes the truck was at operating temp before laying on the boost. Made 49 psi on a few passes and the last one ended in a pop followed by steam. Thought maybe that I blew the frost plug on the back of the block, nope. The HG was sticking out of the back above the frost plug. The head is studded and o-ringed, retorqued every other oil change. Dont understand why it popped again? I thought I could hold more boost than that. I just put in a .020 Marine HG in April. Now I gots a few questions:

Do I need to have the o-rings redone?
Anything to do to prevent this from happening again?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 PM

i would try the .090 marine gasket it seems to work good for me i have a hx 40 turbo now but i did have a 8.3 turbo for a long time but it just took to long to spool up so i got rid of it hope this helps
Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 AM

Another reason not to waste money on O rings....

I would venture to bet that either your head or BLOCK is warped.

If your block is warped it will need to be removed and decked or will need replacement.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Another reason not to waste money on O rings....
as opposed to running what????????
Old 11-24-2006, 08:21 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems..... Posiible issues could be the o-ring itself, head or block flatness. I would recommend checking both the head and block plus ensure the ring grooves are uniform. What material was used for the rings? We use a hard stainless steel wire of either .041 or .051 in diameter. Some wire being used is too soft in my opinion. Also we leave .010-.014 protrusion depending on the application. You should not have to retorque the head at every other oil change. Once the rings are seated completely it should be fine.

I feel very different on o-rings than PourinDiesel, I feel they are the best solution for a street driven truck. Done correct the o-rings will last the life of the engine and handle 80+ psi boost. I like fire-rings for trucks that are exclusively used at the track or are pushing boost above the 90 psi range.

Doug Smith
Old 11-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
I feel they are the best solution for a street driven truck. Done correct the o-rings will last the life of the engine and handle 80+ psi boost.
Thats what i thought
Old 11-24-2006, 08:49 AM

Well I got it working good now.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildmanben
... The head is studded and o-ringed, retorqued every other oil change. Dont understand why it popped again?.....
If your retorque involves loosening & retightening... might you be over working and possibly weakening the studs. Since no one I know does this amount of retorque, it stood out as a difference that might be making a difference?

As mentioned above, and from what I've seen, the quality of the groove work and the head decking can also make or break a successful o-ring job.

RJ
Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 AM

as opposed to running what????????
As opposed to running nothing at all but a stock gasket....

Been there done that with O rings a couple of years before you joined this website.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM

You popped less head gaskets without the orings? So studs and a stock head gasket or the marine version?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:18 PM

All I am trying to say is that most people dont need O rings to begin with.
A good torqued gasket with studs or bolts will hold up to some pretty good boost/drive pressures if your not running gas.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM

so what you're saying is on say a truck like my 97 i should just try using 12mm head studs and then if it blows go to a marine gasket then if it blows again go to marine gasket and o-rings
Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 PM

First I would re-torque with stock bolts. Next step move up to studs. If you blow then I would go with the new gasket and re-assemble.

Its really all what you want to do.

Some will say that go with O rings from the start and you will be fine forever and that just is not TRUE for all trucks. If you read in the last month or so there has been 3 or 4 trucks that have O rings or Fire Rings done by reputable shops and they still have gasket blowing issues.

Another thing to consider is that once you cut a head for O rings then every time you take that head off you will probably have to have it re-decked and re-cut for O rings and new O rings installed (that can only happens a couple times before the head is junk).
Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

Pourin Diesel, How much torque can stock bolts receive on a re-torque. If I remember right, it's 90 ft.lbs plus a 1/4?? turn from the factory.

What is the correct way to re-torque stock bolts. Do I re-torque them cold or warm?

Edit: I believe you are correct in what you say, I know of people running twins on re-torqued head bolts 60 psi +.

I want to had a 50 hp shot of nitrous, I don't know what the cylinder pressure spike would be, but I don't plan on hitting the button until I'm locked in O/D and above 2000 rpms.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 PM

You re-torque cold.

A 24V final torque value will be 105 newton meters + 90 degrees.
Make sure to lube the bolts with some wd40 before re-install.
Best way to do it is loosen first bolt then re-install and torque. One by one.
Start in center of engine and work your way outward.

Quick Reply: Blew the HG.... Again!