Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Biting the Bullet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biting the Bullet!

Okay, where's the best / cheapest place (with good customer service!) to pick up a FASS? I want to get this pretty soon, so.... quick advice will be appreciated!

I've seen several threads that talk about the FASS not having a fuel heater set-up, but the FASS ads on several websites say "Includes Fuel Heater"...??

Rauschbo
Old 11-21-2005, 07:09 AM

F.a.s.s.

I just boug one on Ebay for about $520 delivered, but you have to watch for them. Its a pretty easy install but will take about 3 hours the first time. Yes, it does have hot water connections.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grzpdlr
Yes, it does have hot water connections.
So does my sink. Both will do about the same for cold weather starting-- that is, NOTHING AT ALL
Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
So does my sink. Both will do about the same for cold weather starting-- that is, NOTHING AT ALL
LOL! Too funny.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Well, ya could get one of them windshield washer fluid heaters, and add a small pump to heat the fuel for start-up. I don't think it would be too difficult to do - if it will provide enough heat to keep the fluid hot during the trip from the battery back to the FASS. or i suppose you could mount it back by the FASS and just run wires from it to the battery.

kinda have your own coolant heating system just for your FASS.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 PM

Cool TALK ABOUT Biting the BULLET!!!!!!!!

Not trying to steal ur post bust just ordered Haisley oversized p-pump conversion fuel lines and street puller cam $900 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:44 AM

Rauschbo, Give Steve Rossi a call at P-T Motorsports. I just bought a FASS from him and it was the cheapest price around by far. you can get his phone number off the website. http://www.pt-motorsports.com tell him Neil sent ya!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 AM

If you're watching for a reliabel solution for the lift pump plague that's affecting us, then save your money and look for a better and probably at the end cheaper solution.

I'm about tired about my Fass. I've better to do than fix something that's supposed to work and not need endless care.

Search the forums closely, you'll find more stuff one would care to mention about FASS problems.

Marco
P.S. I wish I'd have a final solution to the lift pump blues...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rauschbo
.....I've seen several threads that talk about the FASS not having a fuel heater set-up, but the FASS ads on several websites say "Includes Fuel Heater"...??
So how far north do you have to live before the FASS heater hook up (or any fuel heater) is required??
I don't need it and don't remember reading anything about those not using it having a problem, in any climate?

With Anti Gel Fuel Treatments is a fuel heater required?

As for FASS reliability, most of the problems I have personal knowledge of, have resulted from poor DIY wiring...not a design flaw.

RJ
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Marco
If you're watching for a reliabel solution for the lift pump plague that's affecting us, then save your money and look for a better and probably at the end cheaper solution.

I'm about tired about my Fass. I've better to do than fix something that's supposed to work and not need endless care.

Search the forums closely, you'll find more stuff one would care to mention about FASS problems.

Marco
P.S. I wish I'd have a final solution to the lift pump blues...
What kind of problems are you having? I searched the first 80 threads using "FASS Problems" search, and came up with one hit with a brush problem. Maybe I need to look further?

As with any electric motor, brushes can be a problem....that's why I have an extra set in my truck.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Brushes, fuel pressure dropping, cheapo pressure regulator- a stupid spring!!!- cheapo harness... EXPENSIVE almost impossible to come by filters. Do you need more?

For the kinda money the FASS costs.....

Don't get me wrong, when it works it does what it's supposed to. Pushing the fuel through the lines. The problem is to keep it doin it's job.

That service one can have for MUCH less than what the FASS costs.
How much is a stock lift pump?

Marco
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 AM

FASS is not all bad.
Customer service could be better.
But I really cant think of another product I would like under my bed pushing fuel up there.

I agree there are some issues that could be improved, but what is perfect?

I will say one thing it is 10 million times better than the stock lift pump it replaced.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 PM

EXPENSIVE almost impossible to come by filters. Do you need more?
Marco

Expensive?
Hard to find?

Thats funny, I went to NAPA and walked out with two spares in 10min and spent less than $20.00.

They dont stock fuel filters like this at Wal Mart .

Thats a joke for the humor chalanged

Dan
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM

Dan,
He doesnt have Wal-Mart he is in Italy!!

Fuel filters are not hard to find if you have a NAPA or the internet near by.
Fass fuel filters are listed on ebay also.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 PM

... EXPENSIVE almost impossible to come by filters. .
How much is a stock lift pump?
Marco
Sorry you had so many problems! Stock lift pumps are around $160.00 US from a Cummins Service Ctr. Guys have gone through 3-4 (cost of a FASS I) in a three yr period.
Maybe I've just been lucky...0 problems so far (12 months/40,000 miles)
I paid $12.99 for a Baldwin 3 micron filter at a local big rig supply shop. 10 micron Filters are $1.00 less, I think. I don't consider that high priced for a 50,000 - 75,000 mile life.

With Bob W. sending you ECM shippments on a regular basis, I assume you can do almost as well.

Rj

Quick Reply: Biting the Bullet!