Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bilstein or Rancho

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowhand
Just as well as on a 4WD
Cool... I was unsure 'cause their advertising mentions for "lifted trucks", which mine is not. I actually like the current stance of my truck and want to keep it that way.

K.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
Cool... I was unsure 'cause their advertising mentions for "lifted trucks", which mine is not. I actually like the current stance of my truck and want to keep it that way.

K.
I believe they're the yellow/blue body. I don't think you can get the nickel plated for a 2WD, but they'll work just as well.

Part numbers you want are B46-1907 front, B46-1908 rears.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Rancho's are fine if you don't mind .... frozen adjuster ***** ..........

My RS 9000s did the same thing. The first year they were beter than stock and the rear adjustment made a diference when I loaded the camper but they did not last.

Got a full refund from Sumit Racing and bought Bilstein.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 AM

OK, Bilsteins it is. Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 02:44 PM

good call on the bilsteins. I just put them on my truck a couple months ago, don't know why I didn't do that a lot sooner. I chose them because a higher quality shock is more important than the adjustability to me. both offroad and highway to say they made a night and day difference would be an understatement. couldn't be happier with them.

I had a great experience with Bilstein's CS, sorry to hear about yours Tye. Told me either the 5100's or the HeavyDuty ones would work fine up front with my leveling kit but that the 5100's are valved a little differently so they're 'more better'(my words) with slightly larger tires and offroading. the HD's are for stock height, 5100's are for lifted.
I ended up putting 5100's in the front and HD's in the back because Summit was backordered on the rear 5100's for a couple weeks. actually, the guy at bilstein recommended I mix them like that anyway since I tow frequently.

btw, most guys with rancho shocks usually have cleaner looking shocks because they just replaced them....again.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can not find a part number for your application and are not sure what shock to order, use this table. All you need are your extended lengths and collapsed lengths.

http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php
Old 06-23-2006, 07:51 PM

I just put on the OEM replacement bilsteins the 49/50 ones... THEY ROCK!!! The front end sounded very rattley before and was bouncy now it rides awesome!! Definitly money well spent. I bought them on ebay from a seller who had the "best offer" option and got them for ~240 shipped!!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roughstock
Where do I get the best deal on shocks. At shockwarehouse, the Bilsteins will cost me $240 and free shipping. Where else should I look.
Try www.offroadwarehouse.com Free shipping.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mkubacak
If you can not find a part number for your application and are not sure what shock to order, use this table. All you need are your extended lengths and collapsed lengths.

http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php
Careful with the 5125's, they only offer 1 shock with the upper stem mount.
I can't remember the extended/collapsed length for a stock 2nd gen, so I'm not sure if it'll fit. Best measure before you order.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Go here:

http://www.sams4x4store.com/rancho.htm

You have until tomorrow to get 4 brand new Rancho RS9000x shocks for like $200!! Buy 3 get 1 free (after rebate)... I just ordered mine yesterday! Good luck...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:45 AM

that's pretty much what everyone sells the rancho rs9000x shocks for. it's either 3 for 1 or buy 4 get the in-cab adjuster free. Summitracing switches back and forth between these two offers every couple months, as does 4wheelparts.
I'm glad I spent a little extra money on my bilsteins...I've pulled entirely too many ranchos off of buddies' trucks because they're worn out or rusted up. ya get what you pay for. but I guess ranchos are still better than the factory shocks we've got...though that doesn't say a whole lot.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
I've heard/read only good things about the Bilstein 5100's. My only question is how well do they work on a 2wd truck??

K.
Flawlessly.........

Unbelieveabley fine ride quality on a dually!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 AM

Off road warehouse has these: Bilstein Shocks for Dodge Ram '94-'03 2500/3500 Fullsize PU 4wd (8400+gvw) Factory Replacement Bilstein #BE5-2549/1908

Is this the 5100? I guess I just figured the model number would have a 5100 in it.....Just want to make sure before I get some for my '99
Old 07-28-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
I've had Rancho's before on another truck. Always thought they rode rough. Now the adjustable ones, I don't know other than a local 4x4 shop agreed that they don't last that long. I do like the sounds of the adjustability of them though. You'll just have to get some others chime in as to whether the long term reliability is good or not on the Rancho's.

I decided to go with the Bilstien 5100's and they ride great. I had a local shop do them so I didn't need to talk to Bilstien's Cutomer Sevice, so I can't comment on that. I've had mine on for about 5000 miles and they still ride like a dream. I can't speak for long term reliability on them as I haven't had them on that long. When I got responses when I was looking, eveyone seemed really happy with the Bilstiens. Add me to that list so far.
I was wondering how well the front right shock boot is holding up on your Bilstein shock? Mine melted away after 8000 miles. I'm quessing in was the close location to the Turbo charger. So when I replaced the both front ones I built a heat shield out of sheet metal and bolted it to the shock tower. By the way, I have a 4x4 Big Horn. I'm wondering if this is a has happend to anyone else. The stock mopar shocks have a hard plastic cover on the top of the shock.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:44 AM

I just ordered a set of KYBs from Summit. I don't have any experience with them, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. I'll let you know what I think!

Quick Reply: Bilstein or Rancho