Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bilstein or Rancho

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein or Rancho

[B]Bilstein or Rancho[/B
I need new shocks, I've read many threads about this on here. I'm still up in the air. Bilstein or Rancho. I spend most of my time on the highway usually pulling a big trailer. I do spend some time in town and on gravel, but usually towing. Whats best?
I'm going to buy something by thursday.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Im in the same boat...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you need tight shock control when you tow or haul heavy and still want a good ride when running empty, the adjustability of the Rancho is the ticket.

On the other hand, the Bilstein is probably a better built shock.

That's my $0.02 worth....

Rusty
Old 05-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Where do I get the best deal on shocks. At shockwarehouse, the Bilsteins will cost me $240 and free shipping. Where else should I look.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put in the Rancho adjustable shocks, that I adjust in the cab. A small compressor does the work. I have had them in for about 2 years now and so far, no problems, leaks or anything. I like the option of adjustability in the cab, otherwise you have to crawl under the truck to do the work. In the rear shocks the ***** are easy, but in the front they are inside the springs, making them really hard to access. If it is not easy and accessable, you won't do it. I like them a lot.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 PM

Rancho 9000s is what I'll be installing! Bilsteins CS sucks! I called looking for some Bilesteins for my truck an was told they couldn't help me because "the guy that handles there lifted truck dept was on vacation till next week!" If I have a problem with something I don't want to have to wait a week to get a problem or question solved, especially from a company as big as Bilstein.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:19 PM

How much do the adjustable Ranchos run compressor and all?

I may get some air bags for the rear to help with heavier loads and hopefully help with unloaded ride quality too....
Old 05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

Call around, look for a sale. I got mine from a local 4x4 store, on a great sale. Whatever price I paid is not relevent now. E-bay?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
Call around, look for a sale. I got mine from a local 4x4 store, on a great sale. Whatever price I paid is not relevent now. E-bay?
Just curious what it runs with a compressor, guages, etc...
BALLPARK, $200, 300, 400....
Dont need an exact price someone paid for to go off as a standard.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 AM

Shocking

Well, after reading all the posts on shocks, it seems that Monroe, Bilstein, and Rancho all have equall likes and dislikes. So, I am still up in the air, but I am going to get something, because any new shock will probably be better than no shock at all. (Mine are trashed, look like originals and I am about to roll over 200,000.)
Probably going to buy Bilsteins.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM

I've had Rancho's before on another truck. Always thought they rode rough. Now the adjustable ones, I don't know other than a local 4x4 shop agreed that they don't last that long. I do like the sounds of the adjustability of them though. You'll just have to get some others chime in as to whether the long term reliability is good or not on the Rancho's.

I decided to go with the Bilstien 5100's and they ride great. I had a local shop do them so I didn't need to talk to Bilstien's Cutomer Sevice, so I can't comment on that. I've had mine on for about 5000 miles and they still ride like a dream. I can't speak for long term reliability on them as I haven't had them on that long. When I got responses when I was looking, eveyone seemed really happy with the Bilstiens. Add me to that list so far.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Rancho's are fine if you don't mind rusting shock bodies, frozen adjuster ***** and eye bushings that don't last long. As an added bonus, you get substandard performance that only comes with a twin tube shock. I ran them on my last two trucks and I'll never waste the money on them again.

$240 sounds like a pretty smokin' deal on the Billie's, Rancho 9000's will cost you at least $80-120 more.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Rancho's are fine if you don't mind rusting shock bodies, frozen adjuster ***** and eye bushings that don't last long. As an added bonus, you get substandard performance that only comes with a twin tube shock. I ran them on my last two trucks and I'll never waste the money on them again.

$240 sounds like a pretty smokin' deal on the Billie's, Rancho 9000's will cost you at least $80-120 more.

Rust is exactly why I will never own a set of Ranchos again!
Less than a year and they were rusting
So far the Billies are great (only a year old but) no rust and they ride way nicer than the Ranchos I had. I can say with out doubt that if I ever need to buy new shocks again, Bilstien will get my money!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 AM

I've heard/read only good things about the Bilstein 5100's. My only question is how well do they work on a 2wd truck??

K.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
I've heard/read only good things about the Bilstein 5100's. My only question is how well do they work on a 2wd truck??

K.
Just as well as on a 4WD

Quick Reply: Bilstein or Rancho