Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Billet Shafts In Autos???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have blown 2 billet INTERM shafts. the 2nd only had 3500 miles.
billet flexplate
billet triple disc converter

now i am down to a billet input/stock interm/billet output
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAIDEN12valve
one day I plan to put some injectors....maybe 50 or 75 hp....

and I want to put a low stall torque....maybe the stock will not support this??
If you want to add injectors and a tighter lower stall converter, get a billet input the tighter fluid coupling during shifts is harder on the shafts.

Brett
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM

i'll try a stock shaft for now....it cost 35$ and the billet 795$....i'm a machiniste....so when I will have time to make one Ill buy 300m material and machine one for me
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

You should be just fine on stock shafts with just those few little mods even with a new converter. Lots of guys running full blown transmissions with stock shafts with lots of power and not having issues. I'd say your deal was just a fluke.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by camododge
You talking bout factory or billet shafts?

Billet aftermarket shafts.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Billet aftermarket shafts.
I know exactly what your talking about, similar properties in my old line of work, fasteners. It's frustrating thinking that I want to put billet shafts in my auto for safety, but it might not doing me any good anyways.

-Dustin-
Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
It's frustrating thinking that I want to put billet shafts in my auto for safety, but it might not doing me any good anyways.

-Dustin-
the reason i put a billet shaft in my truck was one part do to piece of mind but also i didnt put the shaft in till after the stock on broke. i work on the thoery if you break it build it a little better so u can prolong failiar a second time as long as possible. so what i'm saying is i will replace it with another billet shaft but i the amount of trailer towing, and daily driving will not change, as well as other mod's. i currently like the way my truck is set up so do not plan to change anything just rebuild the trans and be happy it's not broke, just sucks that it did
Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 PM

and for more pics of my truck or input shaft www.myspace.com/bumblebee9924
Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
If you want to add injectors and a tighter lower stall converter, get a billet input the tighter fluid coupling during shifts is harder on the shafts.

Brett
A tighter converter is a little easier on the shafts when NOT shifting because it won't multiply torque as much. But Brett is dead nuts right.

The stress on the shafts is way higher when shifting than when just accelerating in normal fluid coupling-- especially with a performance VB making the shifts harder.

A person would be wise to follow Brett's advice, imo.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 AM

I tried to skimp on the billet output shaft and broke the stocker on an easy 10 pound launch back when I only dynoed in the 470s. I'm currently running a stock intermediate but have billet input and output shafts and a stock flexplate with a ton of 1/4 mile passes on this set-up and I 60 foot in the 1.6 to low 1.7 range with my current set-up.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto here. Billet Input & Output and lots of 1/4 runs with no problems thus far.
But when I hear guys bragging about 30+ lb launches..... I think it doesn't matter how much billet they have. Something is going to give.

RJ
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Hmmm makes me wonder about my stock input shaft im at 500+rwhp and close to 1200rwtq on my truck, i have 33's and 3.07 gears and i've run the truck pretty hard, 4x4 boost launches all day long and haven't had a problem yet sounds like yall been haven bad luck , the input shaft i had in my 727 tranny was from Idaho transmission warehouse, it wasn't billet though, its actually stronger, some guy there makes them out of like NASA quality steel, they be a bit more expensive but they haven't had one break yet that i know of

jason
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 65fury
Hmmm makes me wonder about my stock input shaft im at 500+rwhp and close to 1200rwtq on my truck, i have 33's and 3.07 gears and i've run the truck pretty hard, 4x4 boost launches all day long and haven't had a problem yet sounds like yall been haven bad luck , the input shaft i had in my 727 tranny was from Idaho transmission warehouse, it wasn't billet though, its actually stronger, some guy there makes them out of like NASA quality steel, they be a bit more expensive but they haven't had one break yet that i know of

jason
You just must have a horse shoe up your Edit And are very lucky if your pushin 500hp on a stock input shaft. What type of converter do you have.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM

What are your 60 foot times. Could be your truck is set-up soft on the bottom end. I'm pulling 1.70s with an easy 15 pound launch and I pull 1.6's with a 20 pound launch. Anything over about 23 pounds and I spin all 4 tires out past the tree. And I'm also on 33s. Even a really soft 10 pound launch like I broke my output shaft on will give me mid 1.7 60 foots which will run with the majority of the 12 second cars that are on slicks.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
You just must have a horse shoe up your Edit. And are very lucky if your pushin 500hp on a stock input shaft. What type of converter do you have.

hahahah ya im kinda pushin my luck, the converter is a billet triple disk made by Recon, not exactly supername brand, but my brothers friend in idaho builds performance converters for cummins trucks quite a bit ,so im gonna have him rebuild mine. plus the converter i have was rated up to 500hp, so im probably pushin it

jason

Quick Reply: Billet Shafts In Autos???