Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Billet intermediate shaft or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billet intermediate shaft or not?

What kind of power will the stock intermediate in a 47rh hold up to. Mainly daily driving, and hauling tractors/hay through the summer, but I will also be doing a fair share of sled pulling, and drag racing. Im guessing the most my truck will have for a long time is gonna be 500hp, since a 2.5 charger is probably as big as I will be going, but I want to be able to drive it how I want, and not worry about it. I will be talking to Dave Goerend about what he thinks I will need, but I think here really soon, my tranny will be getting built After 50k miles of well over 600ft lbs of torque, and locked shifts, I believe the clutches have FINALLY had enough. I dont know the mileage the tranny has on it, but its been a great one in my opinion. I havent been easy on it in the least. Heck it still daily drives great, and I wouldnt be afraid to hook it to a load, but at WOT it doesent shift good now, and the converter wont lock under hard throttle either. I drive it in Valet mode every day, and running it hard in valet it shifts fine, so im guessing the extra power in full fuel is finally getting to it. Anyways. Do I need the billet intermediate or not? Cant wait to have a black tranny between the framerails

Eric
Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally that shaft is not replaced useless some serious sled pulling is going on.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 AM

I wouldn't recomend it, the % of broken main shafts is extreamly small
Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
I would't recomend it, the % of broken main shafts is extreamly small
That's what DTT says also. I've got a ton of 1.6 and low 1.7 60 foot times on my stock intermediate shaft.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM

I know Mike D is over 500hp on #2 and upper 500's with the gas and runs mid 12's on a stock intermediate shaft on his 47re.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM

Ran 11.40's @ 790hp, Stock Intermediate, and C-Hawk ran 11.76 #2 only with stock Flex plate and Stock Intermediate Shaft Their strong only person that I know of thats broke one is JoeFarmer trying to lite his charger with Nitrous on the line.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks guys, If I can get by without spending that $650 for the billet intermediate, then it will be quite a bit easier for me to afford the tranny But, If I thought i needed it I would go ahead and do it.

I WILL be doing locked shifts. Anyone think this will cause a problem? Are any of you running locked shifts, and running 11's? Thanks!

Eric
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Thanks guys, If I can get by without spending that $650 for the billet intermediate, then it will be quite a bit easier for me to afford the tranny But, If I thought i needed it I would go ahead and do it.

I WILL be doing locked shifts. Anyone think this will cause a problem? Are any of you running locked shifts, and running 11's? Thanks!

Eric
Only locked 3-4, locked 1-2's and 2-3's are extremly hard on shafts, I know the big boys like Garmon, TS Performance, run loose converters and lock up real soon and which they have lots of power as it dosent bog the truck down but i bet their tranny gets gone through alot and their parts prob dont cost them much.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always locked up converter after 1-2 shift with no problems on 2-3 shift. No bogging or apparent serious load doing so on my DTT (That's what they told me and that's how it feels).
Also have stock intermediate shaft.

RJ
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM

When I bought my tranny it was explained to me by the installer (a diesel performance shop) that they mostly see broken input shafts, very seldom see a broken intermediate or output shaft. I ended up installing a billet input and flex plate along with Goerends complete tranny. This tranny is awesome...
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I have always locked up converter after 1-2 shift with no problems on 2-3 shift. No bogging or apparent serious load doing so on my DTT (That's what they told me and that's how it feels).
Also have stock intermediate shaft.

RJ
With twins you might not get the bog locking up early like with a single, but i know Chris tried locking his in 2nd and could't get any better times that way always right after the 2-3 and alot of it has to do with the style of converter your running.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

I don't think the bog is as noticeable on the already tight DTT converters. I lock mine right after it shifts to 2nd and the shifts don't feel any harder than normal. Theres not as much rpm change as the triple disc style converters. Probably not near as much to be gained on ET by locking the DTT converter as the triples either.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ropnjessi
When I bought my tranny it was explained to me by the installer (a diesel performance shop) that they mostly see broken input shafts, very seldom see a broken intermediate or output shaft. I ended up installing a billet input and flex plate along with Goerends complete tranny. This tranny is awesome...

I broke my output shaft on an easy 10 pound launch. My truck pulls 1.78 to 1.83 60 foots on a 10 pound launch in 4X4 and that was all it took to snap it.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 PM

I know of quite a few broken output shafts. As I've had it explained to me before, at least you lose it, you don't tear the rest of the tranny up, and I don't believe you have to drop the tranny to change it.

At least you don't have to change the whole tranny like you do on the NV5600 either.......sniff, sniff.....
Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ropnjessi
Originally Posted by mcoleman
I broke my output shaft on an easy 10 pound launch. My truck pulls 1.78 to 1.83 60 foots on a 10 pound launch in 4X4 and that was all it took to snap it.
well I guess the operative words in my comment are "very seldom"

Quick Reply: Billet intermediate shaft or not?