Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Billet Input Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:27 AM
4x4
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billet Input Shaft

I have been researching a new auto-trans and have talked with all the BIG guys and at least one Installer/shop that represents each in my area. I believe I have made my decision as to which to get but one thing is bothering me. I did not get a real consistent answer about the billet input shafts that are available. Many times the local shop would recommend one when the supplier would not. The consistent thing is, that no one seemed to agree when it was needed.

So I turn to the GURUs in the DTR. How about it guys what is your opinion?

Truck is a daily driver and I do tow a large TT at times. Little off-roading when hunting and occasionally messin' with the ricers. Future HP will run in the 400-450 range.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:56 AM

Re:Billet Input Shaft

That's quite a bit of anticipated HP. I was told by the pro's (DTT) that I needed a billet input cause I run an exhaust brake and the reverse torque with a lot of weight on a steep grade could take out the input pretty quickly. I took their advice. Besides an output shaft is whole heck of a lot easier to change out than an input shaft.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:59 AM

I was told by DTT when I bought mine with the HP that you are talking about I needed it to ensure I would not snap it doing boosted starts. IE. 10 PSI boost starts in my truck. If you see the parts first hand as well there is no question the billetstuff is amazing compared.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 AM

Get the billet.

My truck is about 450 hp and my stock input shaft is on borrowed time. Everytime I launch with 20psi in 4x4 at the track it makes me .
Old 09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
DTR Advertiser

What is a ballpark price on the billet input shaft? Im running over 500hp and am sure Im on borrowed time. Shafts are doing fine but I dont abuse them off the line. Looking to run at the track soon so figure I will get the billet input first. Is 15psi boost safe to launch on stock shafts? Tim
Old 09-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Around $595 with the billet input shaft and hub I believe.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:20 AM

DTT pricing page:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/pricing.htm
Old 09-24-2003, 10:52 AM

400 hp + towing + big tires = billet input shaft. It will last for a while, but it'll break eventually. My stocker snapped after about a year of abuse. I broke it while street racing on the 1-2 upshift :.

Contact ATS at 800-949-6002. Their shafts are made out of 300M VAR steel, so they're made for the worst punishment you can put out.

John
Old 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM

4X4

The reason you get different answers regarding the billet
input shaft is that there are some that have seen the intermediate shaft break after installing the billet input
shaft.

When a billet input shaft is installed the next weak link is not always the output shaft.

If an input shaft breaks you have to pull the trans to replace the shaft. The rest of the trans is ok in most cases. A good shop will get you back up in a day.

If the intermediate shaft breaks it will be a major rebuild.

If your warranty covers such cases you may be OK but unless
the vendor will swap out the trans you are going to be down for awhile.

Ask your potential vendors their method of handling broken input shaft vs broken intermediate shaft.

Whatever you decide you will like the new trans.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

4X4:

All of the members that have posted are giving you
very good advice!! IMO, there are only two kinds
of Dodge Input Shafts and they are:

1.) The ones that have broken!
2.) The ones that are going to break! ;D

Seriously, if you plan on H.P. in the 400-450 range
my advice would be to install a heavier input shaft
when you rebuild the tranny!!

Good luck!

-------
John_P
Old 04-05-2004, 11:58 AM

Re: Re:Billet Input Shaft

If the input brakes isn't there a good chance of taking out the torque converter too?

In a properly set up transmission breaking the stock intermediate shaft is quite a feat in itself. I wasn't able to break one till after joining the 700 club.

Excellent point on asking your potential vendors their method of handling broken input shaft vs broken intermediate shaft.

When it comes to aftermarket billet shafts, they are not made from the same materials nor do they all go through the same processes and testing. Translation... Some billet shafts are going to break. This should be a great year for diesel drag racing (There is some serious power out there.) and I feel that the track will seperate the Poser's shafts from the real McCoy's sort of speak.

All my shafts are billet,

Opie

Originally posted by jyates
4X4

The reason you get different answers regarding the billet
input shaft is that there are some that have seen the intermediate shaft break after installing the billet input
shaft.

When a billet input shaft is installed the next weak link is not always the output shaft.

If an input shaft breaks you have to pull the trans to replace the shaft. The rest of the trans is ok in most cases. A good shop will get you back up in a day.

If the intermediate shaft breaks it will be a major rebuild.

If your warranty covers such cases you may be OK but unless
the vendor will swap out the trans you are going to be down for awhile.

Ask your potential vendors their method of handling broken input shaft vs broken intermediate shaft.

Whatever you decide you will like the new trans.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:02 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, this year will seperate the learners from the teachers.

I need a billet shaft too Opie. It just aint what it used to be back in the younger days

And then we have guys like you. With more than one billet shaft. I have billet shaft envy now.

Don~
Old 04-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Don your reply sounds "Enzyte"full to me. Perhaps your think'n about going auto soon.

It's good to hear from you and I am still very happy with the Mach 2.5's for my daily driving you called the hp out right on the money.

Opie

Quick Reply: Billet Input Shaft