Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Big timing on a stock HG

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big timing on a stock HG

Ok guy's anyone running 18* plus timing on your stock HG?? Somone recamended to me to bump my timing a couple of degrees to help with my egt and surge issues. They are not real bad but I was told that this would help??
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm at 16.5 with one truck and blew the HG in only a week...But I'm at 17* with the other truck and have'nt had a problem in 2 years...I wouldn't go any beyond that without at least studding the head.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It depends on how you're using the truck. If you are grocery getting, you can run a lot more timing. If you are towing heavy, big timing is ill-advised.

Timing can be optimized for a narrow range of RPM and load. The more widely your usage varies, the less optimal your combo will be.

A lot depends on the pump you have as well, or so I hear.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM

We timed ccmckee's truck last weekend, we checked before changing it and it was at 24 degrees. He's still on stock bolts. I know he put on a new head, but I think he was running a stock gasket. He was pulling is trailer like that for sometime. He has a good gasket, thats for sure.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:54 PM

I have 21* of timing and mines been holding that for close to a year. I use it to haul cattle and hay. It's just the luck of the draw. When ever mine does blow, I'll put a marine headgasket in it.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Well after a long conversation with a fella over at Htt that was what he advised I do for the issues that I have been experiencing with the new turbo. I have tried everything else with this and so far the egts are still warmer than I would like and from what I have been told I may be experiencing a surge issue occasionally. I will bump the timing 2* and hope she holds until I can afford studs and a Cometic HG. I have thought about this and the explanation that I received makes sense so I have to try it and see what happens....
Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Tate How does your trucks egts look when your playing? I know you really can't compare the 12 valve and the 24 valve but with the timing you are running I'm wondering what kind of temps you see??
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by schoust
Well after a long conversation with a fella over at Htt that was what he advised I do for the issues that I have been experiencing with the new turbo. I have tried everything else with this and so far the egts are still warmer than I would like and from what I have been told I may be experiencing a surge issue occasionally. I will bump the timing 2* and hope she holds until I can afford studs and a Cometic HG. I have thought about this and the explanation that I received makes sense so I have to try it and see what happens....

Can I ask what the explanation was? Timing is NOT a cure for turbo issues! You need to find out if your high EGTs are from turbo problems or not. Timing can help EGTs, but make sure your fixing the problem, not band-aiding it.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by schoust
Tate How does your trucks egts look when your playing? I know you really can't compare the 12 valve and the 24 valve but with the timing you are running I'm wondering what kind of temps you see??
When playing, I can peg the pyro. Tis a lot of fuel. I hit the wastegate at half throttle. Running empty on the highway, I'm around 800. Getting up to 60 km/h, I'm at 800. So any fun is just heat beyond that. On the highway I'm only running about 3 or 4 lbs. boost, I'd like to run more than that really. With the stock turbo, it was close to 10 psi at highway speed.

My Cometic headgasket showed up this week, studs are gonna be here on Saturday, and my new DDP injectors should be here next week sometime. So when I finally come back from work, I'll pop the injectors in and hopefully knock some heat out of it. I'll do the gasket and studs in the spring time unless we get some nice weather mid winter.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM

Yea thats the same route that I am headed with the studs and Cometic HG. Well from the sounds of it your truck is runs pretty hot down low also? What do you intend to time it at once you are studed??
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Probably go to 17 and see what the difference is. I hear 19 is ok as well, but time will tell.