Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Big line kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echos
I just called Horsepower Upgrades this week and ordered the FassII, it comes with the big-line kit, and they are here on the board. Super nice guy to deal with, 888 882 0003
So the FASSII is just the pump and it includes the same thing as a vulcan big line kit?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01smoker
So the FASSII is just the pump and it includes the same thing as a vulcan big line kit?
FASS II, or the HPFP, is same pump as FASS... and is a kit; includes 3/8" lines and all fittings requires.... except for bigger line from fuel filter to VP-44. Call Rip at Source. He has a line kit to complete the system along with selling the HPFP at a good price.
http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/

RJ
Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 AM

K...this is what I got when I contacted vulcan.........

I don't have a specific kit for your in tank situation I can configure
one for you although I have not had any feedback for those who have
done
this so I cannot attest to its effectiveness. Were you looking to just
connect to the factory hard line as it comes up to the fire wall to the
filter? Of course this kit will need fewer components and will be less
expensive. There are a couple of guys who are adding a second pump but
that requires an oil pressure triggered relay harness (which I don't
make
but have the parts for) for the second pump. Let me know exactly what
you
want and I'll make something up for you. You can call me at the number
below.
Thanks,

? Has anybody been able to put a second pump in line with the in-tank pump?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Whistling Turbo, That is exactly what my plan is. I just ordered that kit from Eric at Vulcan. He was great to deal with. Set me up with all the electricall parts to complete the kit. Said he looked into offering it all but it started getting too complicated and time consuming so he nixed the idea. But has all the stuff to do the wiring and switch on his shelves. I hope I am not saying anything out of line as far as he is concerned. Not sure how much he wants to deal with as far as the extra wiring stuff goes. But he set me up for a very fair price and was very helpfull. I would just cal him at Vulcan and talk to him about what you have and waht you want to do.

I will post how it works out for me but it will probably be the end of next week before I get it all done.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM

Just curious, but how do you know the intank pump wont starve the secondary pump? The in tank pump may flow a lot, put it doesn't put out enough psi to feed a secondary pump. Or what if the in tank pump dies? You're going to need one hell of a pump to pull fuel through a dead in tank pump.

IMO there are only two reliable ways around the in tank pump. Either remove and replace it or built a parallel fuel system that uses a seperate tank pick up.

My plan is to remove the in tank and replace it with an inline walbro. All the stuff is on the way, I'll do a write up on Saturday if the weather holds.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Yarddog those are both perfectly legitimit questions, and ones I have no good answer for. I know others have done this set up and had good luck with it. But it has not been around long enough to know whether the new pump can suck through a dead in tank pump. Or whether the in tnak pump is enough of a restriction to send the new lift pump to an early grave. My hope is that they will compliment eachother enough to keep them both going for a long time. However if it doesn't work out like that I have minimal invested right now in this setup. As the in tank pump was warr. and I was able to take advantage of the $65 lift pump from Cummins. If I change to another set up the bigger lines and high flow fittings can only be a help to any other pump I end up trying.

But there does not seem to be a concensus on any one fuel delivery system for these trucks. except Maybe the Fass system whcih is alot more than I have invested in this system so far.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:02 AM

Ok, macjazzy, let me know how it works out. By the way your sig reads with all the bombing you have done to make more power I suspect we will know real quick weather the secondary pump can suck the intank pump shut...via one way check valve while trying to supply enough fuel. You mentioned others have done this. Can we get any feedback from any of them? My local dealer who installed the in tank pump said he thought we could blow out the check valve by blowing around 100 psi of compressed air back through the fuel line. What kind of secondary pump did they give you? Hope this makes sense..I just got of midnight shift three hours ago and only had around 3 hours of sleep yesterday...so I don't know how good my thought process is at this time.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Whistleing Turbo. I don't think I have really done much to bomb my truck compared to alot of guys here. My Van Aaken box is an older model that was only a 45hp bump. But it was designed for non H.O. engines so Van Aaken said I may only be getting a 20-25hp bump. I decided early on to do the things that will kepp my engine safe before spending too much to make it faster. It seemed like the common consensus is, gauges, exhaust, and air cleaner. All to help keep egt's down. I have had truck for three years now. Its tough to make payemts then add extra money to hop it up. So its been a bit by bit build up. I noticed my fuel pressure going down recently and I had ordered a Edge Comp but not installed it and have decided not to until I have a more reliable and steady flow of fuel. The DSS and third gen track bar were more out of necesity than anything else. Steering started getting real crappy lately and boat towing season is upon me so I needed to invest in that stuff.

I have no idea about the long term outlook of this set up. I know alot of guys on other sites have tried it. Since they got the new in tnak pumps before we started hearing about how crappy they can be too. I also know BD power has had a kit to install a second lift pump in line with the engine mounted lift pump for awhile and has experianced good luck with it.

This is a matter of timing for me I guess. I found a thread about the cheap, supposedly updated, lift pump on another forum. I had just sent my truck back to the dealer to have the in tank pump put in, and started to worry that I may have problems with even this new pump. So hearing that others were trying this set up i decided for the minimal cash output I would try it.

If you read from the beginning of this thread I asked for thoughts on this setup from anyone else who maybe had tried it. I admit it is an experiment. If anyone wished to wait and let me fail first that is fine. After I get it all in I will post my results. If you have serious doubts as to why it won't or can't work I am all ears. I am flying by the seat of my pants. If it does work it may turn out to be a real alternative to more expensive solutions. Thats all I am trying to do.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 PM

All I can say is I hope that the in tank pump works out. I know it's not quite as bad as having welded lug nuts on a flat tire, but, way out in the boonies!?.

Cummins could not answere the question if the in tank pump can be pumped thru with a secondary pump. All they said was at this time they don't know. They were asking, though, what happens if the pump failed in a closed position?!

Cummins did say that the new stock, out of tank pump, has a new bypass valve so when it fails, a secondary pump will be able to work.

BTW, The Vulcan kit replaces the lines all the way from the tank to the filter, and to the vp44, also moves the stock pump closer to the tank. That's on my 02 anyway
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 AM

It seems alot of worry people have is the in tank pump dying and becoming a block to fuel flow. I admit I did not think of that initially but have given it a bit of thought since. I have not had my pump totaly fail yet. I saw my pressures had gone below whats seems to be most peoples comfort level so I had it replaced (it was still under warr.) If it was out or warr. I feel I would have had plenty of time to get one and replace it myself. Do other people find that their pumps are failing without warning? The other thing I have considered after realizing the possible issue from everyone here who has chimed in is. I will try running each pump solo with the other one electrically disconnected to see what kind of pressures I get or even if it will run on one through the other. I realize that woudln't definatively proof its worth but it may give me an idea of what to look for on my gauge when or if one pump starts to die.

Unfortunatley other family business has me tied up this weekend so I will not be able to install this stuff till next week. But I will post my findings as soon as its done.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:18 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of how they hooked up their fuel pressure gauge to the Vulcan kit? I just purchased the kit and still don't understand real well how to do it. Is everything you need to hook up the FP gauge included with the kit? Sorry, I can be kinda slow! Thanks

Eric
Old 03-23-2006, 10:30 PM

Eric at Vulcan installed mine. He just installed a 'T' in the fuel line between the filter and the injection pump. On the 'T' he places another fitting with a pressed in, and very small orific in order to stop the guage from pulsating due to the fuel pump pulsations. This way the guage needle stays steady and won't wear out the electric sensor. You may have a mechanical guage which would also require the same reduced orific for the direct fuel line going to the guage' or the isolator. I'd ask Eric if he put this in his kit for you.

I am very very happy with the results of the Vulcan kit. It will be a very notable difference.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 AM

What is the number over there at Vulcan? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Thanks

Eric
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM

I will get his number for you later today. Right now I'm supposed to be working. Most likely around 7 tonight. I know it's area code 360 in Vancouver Washinton.

IT'S (360) 713-1549
Old 03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EGaskamp
Does anyone have any pictures of how they hooked up their fuel pressure gauge to the Vulcan kit? I just purchased the kit and still don't understand real well how to do it. Is everything you need to hook up the FP gauge included with the kit? Sorry, I can be kinda slow! Thanks

Eric
$3.00 valve from Napa. Most guys use a needle valve, I have this.

There should be one fitting with a 1/8" NPT brass plug, pop that out and install a close nipple, to your snubber (needle valve or what ever) then to your gauge plumbing.

Quick Reply: Big line kit?