Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Big line kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big line kit?

Hi to all, newbie here with a question involving the dredded intank lift pumps. Do you think that a big line kit for the fuel system would let the intank lift pump supply enough fuel to the injector pump on a truck with a programmer, K & N filter, and 4" exhaust? I have a low pressure fuel light that comes on supposedly at 5 pounds or less and it is on an awful lot. Specially in winter when fuel is thick, or/and when you use the throttle. In neutral or park @ idle it flickers for a while after start up in the winter cold days, but warm days it is ok, and if in park or neutral you can tach it up to 2000rpm and the light won't come on when warm out, but when you put a load on it....different story. Comes on going up hills, or up "on ramps" with no trailer on even with the programmer not being used and stock settings are being used.
And if you think the big line kit would work....where do you get one, and how much am I looking at? Also my low fuel pressure light from BD screws into the banjo fitting at the injector pump, so if I eliminate this banjo is there a way to still connect my low fuel pressure switch? I don't want to loose this added safety warning device!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:18 PM

The stock lift pump with stock lines will support ~350rwhp if the pump is doing it's job properly. 12-14psi at idle is what you want, and no less than 6psi at WOT.

Typically, from 350-425hp, the stock pump will do fine with the addition of larger fuel lines and AN style fittings (remove all the banjo fittings and bolts).

From 425hp and up, a pusher is also needed.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
He has the in tank coversion which seems to flow at just about half of what the original engine mounted Carter does. The in tank unit will most likely not be good for 350 hp.

whistling turbo,

The reason you are seeing your low FP light on frequently is because the system is most likely frequently below 5 psi of operating pressure - not good!

IMO, the in tank conversion pump stinks and performs poorly. If there is any fueling over stock, it should probably be replaced with a pump that has a more appropriate flow rating.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 PM

Yes I know the intank pump is not sufficiant. Even on stock settings I cannot use all of my pedal. I cannot go up hill or even over 70 miles an hour on the flat without the 5 pound pressure fuel light coming on....meening pressure dropped below 5 pounds. And that is without a trailer or anything in the bed of the truck. So when I tow I barely use the eccelerator....nail biting.....praying that I am not going to starve my injector pump. Scared is an understatement. I just want to know where, and how much a big line kit would cost? And if that would fix my problem.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM

I just called Horsepower Upgrades this week and ordered the FassII, it comes with the big-line kit, and they are here on the board. Super nice guy to deal with, 888 882 0003
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whistling turbo
Yes I know the intank pump is not sufficiant. Even on stock settings I cannot use all of my pedal. I cannot go up hill or even over 70 miles an hour on the flat without the 5 pound pressure fuel light coming on....meening pressure dropped below 5 pounds. And that is without a trailer or anything in the bed of the truck. So when I tow I barely use the eccelerator....nail biting.....praying that I am not going to starve my injector pump. Scared is an understatement. I just want to know where, and how much a big line kit would cost? And if that would fix my problem.
While a big line fit that removes the banjo bolts will remove some of the system restrictions and give a pressure increase (probably a small increase), it will not solve the original problem that the in tank pump produces inadequate flow.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:33 PM

Fuel pressure

To whistling turbo:
My lift pump and vp44 were replaced at 88k mi and I immediatly noticed that the fuel pressure wasn't there. I had 9 psi at idle and if you stepped on the go peddle it would drop to 3 psi. I installed the vulcan big line kit, and now at wot I have 7 1/2 psi. ( at 70mph up hill with my 32 ft 5th wheel with 21pounds of boost.) 7 1/2psi at the inlet to the vp44.
I'm not happy with the in tank pump, but the vulcan kit is great.
"Ironbutt" I just rolled into 100k mi. The kit from vulcan is about $65.
On my install I used the 3/8 hose barb on the inlet to the fuel filter,a 1/2 barb fitting on the bottom (outlet) of the filter and the tapped 1/2 inch barb at the vp44. I hooked the fuel pressure gauge up at the tap on the fitting at the vp44. ( I had 2 fittings left over) as the kit comes with 5 fittings and more than enough hose. and clamps too.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks "IRONBUTT". That is the answer I was looking for. I will look into this.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:28 PM

I just got my Vulcan big line kit installed today. Now the fuel pressure stays almost the same as idle at wide open throttle, 14.5 psi. This is with the stock pump.

I couldn't believe the difference while heading home. What a great kit.

BTW, I would not go down the highway (long distances) with an intank pump.
The stock pump for my 02 is readily available just about anywhere, as long as it is mounted on the frame, can be changed out while you send your wife in for hamburgers.

Vulcan big line kit with frame mount pump, means big smiles...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 AM

Yeah, well it would be nice to be able to change out the pump on the fly. But under warranty by a nerby dealer that I gotta take my hat off to for doing the work under warranty when the other dodge dealer I bought the truck from would not. And they paid for the towing, while I lost my @## towing it to the other dealer from where the lp and vp died, and then to my house because they wanted $2300 to fix it. This dealer payed the tow to his shop. Anyway I wanted them to put the original style pump on, but they could not find one and under warranty the intank pump was my only option. They replaced it first and the truck would still not run so they replaced the vp.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:31 AM

Man it's too bad you don't live around this area. My dealer told me that he won't void my warrantee for the Vulcan kit nor for moving the pump off the block. I hope he's right. He did say he'd give me a letter written to that effect. Guess I'd better take him up on it and get back over there.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:45 AM

I installed my Bullydog LP kit. Its a Holley fuel pump and comes with the bigger lines from the tank to the booster pump. I dont think its the full big fuel kit, but It has worked great for me. I dont ever get below 12 at WOT.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:09 AM

so where can I get the vulcan big line kit?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 AM

Call eric @
Customer Service
Vulcan Performance
(360) 713-1549
vulcan@vulcanperformance.com

I ordered mine but the weather has no been friendly yet to install it with my new lift pump.

my truck has 97k on it, dunno if the LP was ever changed. i see 14psi idle and about 10-9 at WOT just fine in my book but might as well add the big lines just for piece of mind and have a spare LP for the road.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whistling turbo
I have a low pressure fuel light that comes on supposedly at 5 pounds or less and it is on an awful lot.
Scaned responses and did not see this addressed directly. If your seeing 5 psi or less, with your set up... sounds like a failing Lift Pump.

As to the fuel flow kits... I had great luck with Scotty's system (on healthy lift pump)... up to about 425 hp, as mentioned above.
http://www.scottysystems.ca/smartfuelsystems.html

RJ

Quick Reply: Big line kit?