Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Big Line Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Line Kit

Hey, I have very limited mechanical skill and was wondering if the the big line kits that you can buy here on DTR would be very hard to install by yourself? If anyone has any past experiences doing it themselves and has helpful tips or warnings they would be appreciated. Thank You
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM

i would say that even someone with very limited mechanical skill can do it. i do not have the kit that DTR sells but one very similiar and if you can change a tire, you can install something like that.

*hint: when pushing the hose on the PushLok fittings, warm the hose in hot water to make sliding it over the fitting easier
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by pgilles
i would say that even someone with very limited mechanical skill can do it.
He's right because I was able to install mine

With the vulcan kit I needed a tube cutter for the hard line coming off the tank. It helps if the tank is low, but still be prepared for some fuel when you cut this line. You have to remove the fuel filter to get to the lift pump but one you've got that out its just a matter of removing the banjo fittings, replacing them with the high flow fittings, and running the line.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 PM

The puch lock fittings kicked my butt until I heated them with a heat gun (the hot water didn't work too well for me). I disconnected the quick connect at the back of the filter and blew some regulated air into the line to clear the fuel lines before I cut.

As stated you will need a small tubing cutter, the rest is all standard hand tools.

I am very detail oriented, took lots of breaks, double/triple checked everything and it still only took me 2 hours to install it myself. As stated, if you can change a tire, you should be able to do it in less time than I did.

If you're still worried, look for a local chapter of DTR and see if you can hook up with someone that can help you. Due to my local chapter I've helped or installed all kinds of parts I would have been aprehensive about.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be sure the tank is low on fuel and BE SURE TO BLOW AIR BACK TO THE TANK as stated earlier. I did mine with a full tank without blowing any air and the fuel just kept coming when I cut my hardline. It was like siphoning gas!!!!!! Made a huge mess and I literally took a diesel bath.