Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BHAF mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHAF mount

Howdy!

I've got an idea for mounting my BHAF but I wonder if I'm reinventing the wheel....

I'm thinking of a can that mounts into the existing airbox location. I haven't measured to determine how much larger than the filter this can be and still clear, but as much as possible is what I'm looking for. Off of the side of this can will be a tube that fits into the air port in the fender. The bottom of the can will be removable and will feature a tube that extends INTO the BHAF, where it is heavily drilled for airflow. The tube extends through the bottom of the can (side, really, since the can will be on its side) and outside where the intake elbow will clamp on.

The goal is that the filter will be sucking cool air, protected from extreme dirt and moisture, and generally look cool.

Any thoughts?

Tad
Old 01-19-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is lot like what I have envisioned. I was thinking of a flat bottom and rounded top that follows the curveture of the filter with flat ends. One port for air that goes to the stock location and an optional second port that goes to the firewall like another great product for reducing EGT's. All constructed either out of mild steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. I was also thinking of using the same material for tubing to the turbo inlet. Other options would be polishing or powdercoating of materials. The key is designing the product to seal extremely well while allowing simple changing of the filter. Now I just need someone who has the design and fabrication skills to bring this sucker to market. Hopefully for less than $250.00.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

I have been thinking about this for years. The only problem is the BHAF that I use already touches the hood, no room for a air box. I know I could use a smaller BHAF but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a BHAF.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by bluebull
I have been thinking about this for years. The only problem is the BHAF that I use already touches the hood, no room for a air box. I know I could use a smaller BHAF but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a BHAF.
You could make your can with an open top that would use the hood as the top. My K&N(shush, don't tell anyone) FIPK on my Suburban does that.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

True, but my fabrication skills are like a green horn gutten a deer for the first time, not pretty.