Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bhaf

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well to be completely honest I added the filter minder as a quick cover up on a screw up. I had drilled the hole in the bottom of the filter to instal the iat probe, when I got the filter to its location the probe's wire was too short. Solution was pluggin the hole with the minder and to see how long the napa 2790 lasts before the minder even budges. like said above I installed the iat in the neck of the filter instead where the wire would reach.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by mikmaze
iat sensor I think ianyway I installed in the neck of the filter to give the computer an accurate idea on intake air temperature.
mikmaze,
how did your iat sensor look when you pulled it out? dirty? did you clean it first before putting it in the bhaf? There's been some threads talking about this before, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet. Have you noticed your grid heater running more than usual?
I've thought about doing this mod, but when it's cold out, I don't want the grid heater cycling on/off the whole 45 minute drive to work, or worse on a longer trip somewhere.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Do the 97's have these iat sensors? What do they do? If they do come on a 97 what do you do with it if you install a bhaf ( which i am planning on doing)
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

nope, 12'vs are mechanical
Old 01-19-2005, 01:54 PM

The 12v's DO have an IAT sensor, but all it does is tell the PCM when to cycle the grid heaters.

Nothin' fancy, it's in the manifold back above the fuel filter.

At least that's what I'm told it is

HTH, Chris
Old 01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

The only thing I may be noticing could be related to my edge box or the bhaf, what I see is a tend for the truck to want to high idle even when the engine temp is warm, not at full temp but definately warm, not sure which one is doing this as the two items were added soo close together and I havent decided which is cauysing it, I am thinking it is the edge..... as for the iat, I only popped it in to give the computer as much info as it could get to help in whatever way it can.

the iat looked clean, only have 10k miles on the truck and the original filter still had a lot of life in it. sooner or later Ill take up some server space and toss in some pics....
Old 01-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Grid heaters are set into motion by coolent temp. They are controled by a combination of IAT, ECM, coolant temp sensor, PCM.

No matter how cold the engine is the grid heaters will shut down after a predetermined amount of time from startup. The grid heaters will also shut down if you drive over 18 MPH and will not come back on until the next engine startup.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Good info there bluebull...it's amazing what one can learn here !

mikmaze, what did you use to take the place of the iat once you relocated it to the bhaf?
Thanks !
Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

^^^ got me scratchin my head on that question..... the iat comes out of the stock factory airbox, thats now in my garage. The iat moved to the neck of the BHAF, ..... there is no airbox on the bhaf so no iat in the box, just in the neck of the filter where air flows accross it to let comp know what it needs to..... got it?..... tooooo cold to go take pics....
Old 01-19-2005, 06:59 PM

See there's the difference...the iat on the 2nd gen 24v is near the firewall on the driverside of the engine....behind the map sensor. I thought it was the same on your truck
When I installed my bhaf, the stock airbox went into my parts bin in the basement....no other connections are hooked to it.
I'd need a pipe plug or something to go in place of my iat if I relocated it.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mkubacak
I don't think that filter minder will do any good on the BHAF. I would think it is set for the factory air box only. Maybe someone wiser than myself will know better.
Not necessarily wiser (especially since I misspelled neccesarily ),
but IMHO, the only reason the filter minder is there is because Dodge engineers know the factory air box does not seal well.
They don't want people breaking the seal everytime they think they need to check the filter,
then not closing the box right and letting the engine ingest dirt and crud perhaps resulting in warranty engine replacement.

When I tossed the stock box, my original filter was disgustingly dirty, greasy and clogged with dead leaves and small children, yet the filter minder hadn't moved a fraction of a millimeter.
Either the minder didn't work or the box was so leaky that a vacuum wasn't being created.

I can tell if the BHAF is getting dirty, don't need a fancy vacuum guage to tell me.

I wish us 2nd genners could put the IAT inside the BHAF.
It would be a lot easier to keep clean, and easy to check if it's getting dirty,
if it even would get dirty in there.

phox
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

Drill a hole, tap it, screw in IAT, extend wire just as you would if you put it in your stock box. The only down side is you would have to do this every time you change your air filter.......how long does that filter go before replacement!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Vacum or restriction is just that, it doesn't matter if the filter is stock, BHAF, or as big as the truck. The only difference is dirt holding capacity. 3 brainfarts of vacum (cannot remember the correct measurment name) is 3 brainfarts of vacum, the only thing that changes is volume of area.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bluebull
how long does that filter go before replacement!!!
50K shoudn't be a problem, especially with the prefilter.

phox
Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
I wish us 2nd genners could put the IAT inside the BHAF.
It would be a lot easier to keep clean, and easy to check if it's getting dirty,
if it even would get dirty in there.
phox
Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to do this ?. Of all the searching I've done, I still haven't found anything negative.
Electrical gurus: could extending the wires for the plug cause any problems ? Similar to how you're not supposed to mess with pyro probe wires.

Quick Reply: Bhaf