Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BFG Mud Terrains

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Mud Terrains

A question for you guys running BFG Mud Terrains - how are they on ice and snow? Im still running the stock Michelins and its time for some new treads. I do a fair bit of highway winter driving and am looking for some opinions on the BFG's. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:57 PM

I liked them but they're definately not an all terrain tire. Before I had the open country AT's which had a great deal of siping and held he road well even on ice and packed snow. Let off the throttle, turn the wheel and the truck would turn wherever you wanted without much sliding around. The M/Ts will just slide straight even with the wheels turned so you need 4wd and a little use of the throttle to make tight quick turns. After a while I got used to it and they drove just as good as the A/T's on the slick stuff. THey seemed to stop just as fast too.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:22 PM

I have used the BFG MT's on a diesel truck and they weren't worth a crap on snow and ice. Unless you are talking deep snow in a field or something, I wouldn't go with them banking on good traction on snow and ice. One thing that is obvious is that the surface area of any MT tire is much less than an AT tire.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:35 AM

Thanks guys thats basically what I thought. I will probably be going with the A/T KO....I do like the look of the M/T though.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:30 AM

Crap on hard snow/ice. Noisy as heck once half worn. IMHO of course.

KO's get high marks, but I've never had them. Bridgestone duelers (especially Revos) do well. If they have your size...don't forget to take a look at BFG Commercial T/A traction (love mine so far). More sipes than Carter has pills.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:32 AM

DR. Evil, the AT's are great winter tires you won't be disapointed with them ..... they work good in the deep snow too, I was pushing snow up to the bumpers out on the lake with em last winter ........

as for the Mt's they are the same as most Mud tires, they suck on packed snow and ice .......
Old 10-18-2004, 05:18 AM

The BFG M/T's are my favorite for several reasons. Of all the M/T's I have ridden in they are the quietest. I have tried two different sets of BFG AT's and they always seemed to require a lot of weight on the initial balance and after every burnout also they hydroplane in heavy rain where the M/T's dont.
When it comes to pulling a sled trailer over the pass in slush and snow there is no comparison, with the M/T's I am able to use the least plowed lane and go by others. With the A/T's I am stuck staying with the others. As for which is better on ice I would call it a crap shoot, though there is less surface contacting the road with the M/T's. The M/T is a better looking tire and (edit) unlike the A/T they don't throw rocks back at you after being on a gravel road/driveway. Which is on of a few reasons I would never sipe a tire too.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I throw in a big vote for the BFG AT's.. On Monday nite it rained/snowed here and I drove my buddies Dmax with new AT's from Lacombe to Provost.. All I can say is that I never spun a wheel and they were very responsive. I think you must know what the roads were like that nite Doc.. There were rigs in the ditch everywhere, but we kept on truckin.. I don't think you will be disappointed with the AT's..

J-eh
Old 10-21-2004, 10:38 PM

J,

You have the Revos dont you? How are they on highway ice? Aint winter fun??
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I got Yokohama Super-Digger V2 on. I've had them on all my trucks with good luck so far. I just about went with the Geolander, but got stuck in my ways..

My SDO5's are a comprimise with some good traction on/off road. Clean out really well in the mud/snow and aren't bad on the highway. They wear a little fast as the rubbers a little more supple. But you drive in hard snow it leaves a little windrow in the middle of the track where the treads clean out.

I would try the Revos but those darn things are about $275 each Far cry from the $180 for the BFG or the SD05. I don't know what happened to the Revo pricing but they shot up $100 in the last 4 months. Kal-Tire has a Nokian with the same tread design (import tire) for comparable pricing to the others ~$200.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr. Evil
I put 285 BFG ATs on the truck the day it was new and at 80K put a new set on just now they call them AT KOs. And when these wear out theres no Question on the tire I will put on. BFG ATs for me However Im not a seirious bush banger just a bit of this and bit of that

ratsun
Old 10-22-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If yo drive a lot on the HWY in winter, I'd avoid n M/T entirely. Most of the time, your dealing with ice and hard packed snow on the road, which, as someone noted, is a nightmare with M/T shoes on.

For winter hwy performance, it's hard to beat the Cooper A/Ts. They have a LOT of siping, which is what you should be looking for in a winter HWY tire. Cooper also makes a winter tires that's AWESOME in snow and ice (their m/s), but it's only made a certain (small like stock) sizes.

The REVOs also get high marks in the wet and snow-- they are pricey though.

Think of it this way: if the extra $$ you spend on a nicer tire happens to be the difference between an accident and an avoidance, then that's the best bargain you'll ever get.

Justin
Old 10-22-2004, 01:14 PM

I like my KO's but haven't had a chance to try them on Ice/snow yet. I'm not looking forward to it actually.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:56 PM

I had my KO Siped on a really bad snow day. It made a very big improvement. They only siped the inner lugs.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Could you post a pic of the sipes? I'm looking into doing it myself since there's no shop over here that will offer siping.

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: BFG Mud Terrains