Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Better Headstuds

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Headstuds

Who would be interested (I mean really willing to purchase within the next 60 days) a much better headstud? I am talking about one that is 12mm so that it will fit our blocks with no issues and is made of better material.... Something that we can consistantly torque to 160+ lbs!

Now the question is what would you be willing to pay.... I may have a line on this product but it looks like the studs will go for $700-$800, if I can get enough orders I may be able to get them for around $600 a set. This would be for the 12v, 24v, and CR guys.

Let me know what you think.

Doug Smith
Old 03-23-2006, 06:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry Doug-- my heart is there, but the money isn't. Unless military pay goes up to CEO levels, I can't spend that much money on the truck

What's the KSI rating of this material? 240+? It would have to be pretty high, as the ARPs are 220, iirc...
Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug, By no issues, do you mean NO issues at all. No grinding, no valve cover clearance issues. If this is the case, then tell me more.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by HOHN
Sorry Doug-- my heart is there, but the money isn't. Unless military pay goes up to CEO levels, I can't spend that much money on the truck

What's the KSI rating of this material? 240+? It would have to be pretty high, as the ARPs are 220, iirc...
FWIW, you can special order much higher KSI ratings than that from ARP......gone are are the days of 8740 Chromo being regarded as a high strength steel for fasteners.....For many applications, this is the lowest grade ARP uses. If enough studs are ordered from ARP, it could be a cost effective way to get studs in the 300+ KSI range if that is truely required.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

man do i ever need them badly but my wallet is empty as far as mods go. im waitng to sell some injectors and a turbo before i can buy my smarty tuner
Old 03-23-2006, 08:49 AM

At what point do we pull the threads out of the block??

ARP's should be plenty for me, if not, I'm sure something else will come along later!

Chris
Old 03-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

arps and a smarty are next for me, but im worried about fitment issues. i hear i will have to grind my valve cover to make them fit??

whats the deal with studs on a 24v
Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
At what point do we pull the threads out of the block??

Chris
That's the million-dollar question^^^

How much clamping can we get out of studs before we distort the block enough to warrant re-machining??

It's not fun to need a new bore/hone and new pistons just because you installed studs..

ARPs in the 22ksi material have proven to be pretty safe in terms of block distortion and give a nice increase in clamping. They are somewhat reasonable in price.

hmmmm.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Somebody start testing...I think I know someone who'll donate a block for trial purposes

Chris
Old 03-23-2006, 11:50 AM

I wonder what studs made from Carpenter's AerMet 310 could do? 310KSI tensile is pretty respectable....

jh
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM

Guys we are talking about a materal that would be in the 280K range! As for the no grinding valve covers..... Well we will see, the problem actually lies in our blocks not the studs. Some engines have the holes deeper than others, there may be some latitude in stud length that can be addressed.

What the block will take is a good question. But remember that when we start torqueing bolts to this level there is a lot of friction between the stud and the fastener, so the block threads are not going to see an exact mirror of torque application as the wrench. The upside to this will be stud integrity and a much better clamping load on the head.

Doug
Old 03-23-2006, 12:05 PM

Even with ARP lube? That's stuff's slippery as heck-- a lot more so than grease or motor oil.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Even with ARP lube? That's stuff's slippery as heck-- a lot more so than grease or motor oil.
Yea, even with the ARP stuff..... Hopefully we can get these things going and get the price down.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Higher torque is not always needed to keep a head gasket from blowing. If the stud material stretches (lengthwise not twisting) too easily then the head clamping force will be reduced under pressure. A "stronger" stud at the same torque will help resist "floating the head". To brittle of a stud can snap during torqueing. The key is to select the "right" material, and then match the size to the job. The question is what is the right material. Just my $.02 worth.

Paul
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by paulb
Higher torque is not always needed to keep a head gasket from blowing. If the stud material stretches (lengthwise not twisting) too easily then the head clamping force will be reduced under pressure. A "stronger" stud at the same torque will help resist "floating the head". To brittle of a stud can snap during torqueing. The key is to select the "right" material, and then match the size to the job. The question is what is the right material. Just my $.02 worth.

Paul
I am not sure what alloy Jetpilot is referring to but if it is anything like the AerMet 310 alloy Hohn mentioned or ARP's Custom Age 625+, AERMET 100, INCONEL 718 or ARP3.5 (AMS5844) they are not brittle at all and in fact represent cutting edge ultra high strength fastener alloys that have very high toughness ratings so I think it is probably reasonable to say that there will be no factor of the alloy being brittle and in fact the yield strengths of studs made of these or similar alloys will possibly collectively exceed that of the block and/or head. We are talking about exotic stuff that exceeds the tensile strengths of 8740 Chromo by up to 100 KSI.

Quick Reply: Better Headstuds