Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Better Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lc20 sounds like good stuff to help get rid of hi-mileage sludge that may be lurking in the oil pan??
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE
lc20 sounds like good stuff to help get rid of hi-mileage sludge that may be lurking in the oil pan??

im thinking the same thing and i like the price of it especially if i buy it by the gallon.

thanks hohn and nate_88 for the info
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM

sounds like the LC20 will clean out sludge from anywhere! if you're wanting to get rid of all of the crap in the oil pan, you may want to drop the oil pan and clean the entire thing out, but if you don't want to do that, the LC20 sounds like it will do perfectly fine too, but that's just my $.02
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
im thinking the same thing and i like the price of it especially if i buy it by the gallon.

thanks hohn and nate_88 for the info
hey you're welcome dieselfan. i know that i'm always looking for a way to lengthen the lifetime of my truck and keep it up and running in good condition, so i know how helpful it can be to post findings if anyone else has any suggestions or findings let us know!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Is there any particular reason you are switching to syn after 170K miles?
If I can gain 1-2MPG as stated on the first page, I'd be willing to switch.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
i can't guarantee it, but that's what happened with my truck. it wouldn't hurt to try though! if you do, let us know how it works out
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
Also, i'm not running synthetic. i'm running Rotella T 15w40 with the engine cleaner and oil additives as i previously stated. You could do it the way i did it, the way HOHN suggests, or do it your own way. Either way, keep us updated
Old 02-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Hohn,

Are you using any other additives like Lube Guard? Or, just straight LC20 and oil? BTW, what oil do you use? Also, how often do you change your oil? I'm just trying to decide which route to take to make my engine last longer and get better mileage.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, just the LC20.

My current oil is CI-4+ M1 Truck and SUV in 5W-40 from my old stash when I cleared out Wal (of China) Mart. After this, I'm out and switch to PB Extreme.

Let me clear something up: The LC20 is to help keep the engine clean, imo. It's not an ant-wear improver per se. Some people have seen better UOA numbers with it, some have seen worse. So the jury's out on the wear performance. I suspect that the higher UOA numbers were from wear particles that had accumulate on engine surfaces being dissolved in the oil, thus the oil is carrying more wear particles than before, and the UOA results are spurious.

LC20 isn't some kind of magic additive. While I had very good results with it, it's not necessarily a magic cure all, and it may not improve the wear rate on your engine at all. I happen to think that a cleaner engine is better off, but that's necessarily valid.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Hohn and others...my truck has low miles (35K now, bought it with 26K last summer & think it's been running non-syn oil) and I switched over just recently (last oil chage) to Royal Purple 15W40 syn engine oil...still waiting to see if it shows any mpg improvements or other positive changes.

My goal is to take care of the engine from a low mile state so that when I have higher miles I'll be ok. Do you think I should use LC20 with the RP oil? I was thinking about throuwing in a Lube Guard treatment like Nate did...wonder if that will help...I think nate used 2 treatments (4 oz each) right?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
Hohn and others...my truck has low miles (35K now, bought it with 26K last summer & think it's been running non-syn oil) and I switched over just recently (last oil chage) to Royal Purple 15W40 syn engine oil...still waiting to see if it shows any mpg improvements or other positive changes.

My goal is to take care of the engine from a low mile state so that when I have higher miles I'll be ok. Do you think I should use LC20 with the RP oil? I was thinking about throuwing in a Lube Guard treatment like Nate did...wonder if that will help...I think nate used 2 treatments (4 oz each) right?
I used one full bottle of NAPA sludge remover before hand, then when i added the new oil, i used two 15 oz. bottles of Lube Guard, because 3 oz. treats 1 quart of oil. That comes out to 5 quarts of oil treatment per bottle, so i used 2 bottles. Hope that helps!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by nate_88
I used one full bottle of NAPA sludge remover before hand, then when i added the new oil, i used two 15 oz. bottles of Lube Guard, because 3 oz. treats 1 quart of oil. That comes out to 5 quarts of oil treatment per bottle, so i used 2 bottles. Hope that helps!
ok sounds good...so seeing as how I have my oil changed already for a few hundred miles with Royal Purple 15W40 Synthestic oil, I should be able to dump 2 bottles of lube guard in there and be ok, right? think it'll make a difference in my case with only 35k miles on my engine and a very recent switch over to synthetic oil? Nate, Hohn...others?

thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM

ok sounds good...so seeing as how I have my oil changed already for a few hundred miles with Royal Purple 15W40 Synthestic oil, I should be able to dump 2 bottles of lube guard in there and be ok, right? think it'll make a difference in my case with only 35k miles on my engine and a very recent switch over to synthetic oil? Nate, Hohn...others?

thanks

i was gonna drain a little bit out, since i think im past 11qt. i dont want too much oil in there. its your call though.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM

thanks
how many quarts of oil did you use, 10? i think you'll be fine, a little overfill shouldn't hurt it. you may notice a little difference... i don't think you need the sludge remover though. if you start using LC20 or the Lube Guard now, you'll have a pretty clean motor in the future. what do you think HOHN? i'm still a little new to this... i know if i ever rebuild my engine i'm going to start clean and keep it clean!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
i was gonna drain a little bit out, since i think im past 11qt. i dont want too much oil in there. its your call though.
that would be almost 12 quarts in there, so i'm not sure, i'm not an expert, but HOHN might be able to give you some advice on that. if it was me, i'd drain some out first, but that's just my opinion!

Quick Reply: Better Fuel Mileage