Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Better Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Better Fuel Mileage

I did an oil change on my truck last friday, and had to go to napa for an oil filter. I was looking down the aisles and found some oil additives, so I grabbed a bottle of NAPA sludge remover, and two bottles of Lube Guard oil additive... I'll tell you what, I have never had this good of mileage. I had an increase of 2 mpg! I'm pretty sure it was the additives that did it. My motor may have been pretty dirty before hand, I don't know, but I thought I'd share my findings with all you guys and gals out there! This made me extremely happy!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM

Are you running synthetic oil?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM

welcome to the darker side...

I have been preaching the benefits of the modern technologies for some time now and this is a perfect example of the them at work.
I run additives in everything!

Power Punch or Lucas oil stabilizer in the oil, Rotella 15-40 (not synthetic)
Lucas rear end gear additive in the rear end
Diesel Power Service in the fuel and even the wheel bearing grease is synthetic moly based low friction type.

Amesoil based trans fluid for the Chrysler trannys and I try to drive like I'm on the last gallon in the tank just about everywhere I go.

Remember when you knew you should've stopped way back when and filled up but figured you could make it, and now the "low fuel" warning light's been on for the past 40 miles and you don't see a fillin station in sight?

Drive like you did then and watch your mileage improve dramatically.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
Are you running synthetic oil?
i only run Rotella T 15-40, not synthetic. I also run Diesel Kleen cetain booster in the fuel, but i run that through every tank, so this improvement was on top of that!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM

NICE! Keep up the nice work.. but watch that 2 mpg dissapear when that "wish list" gets fullfilled. LoL
Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cdennyb
NICE! Keep up the nice work.. but watch that 2 mpg dissapear when that "wish list" gets fullfilled. LoL
i know, but i gotta have more power! i see that you're getting 26 mpg? I didn't want to say what i was getting, because i didn't think anyone would believe me. i'm getting 24.4 now on the highway
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Diesel Kleen cetain booster, Running that stuff alone I get 500+ miles per tank. And thats with my swiss cheese **** exhaust system. Speaking of which.. anyone know the name of the other good cheap place for tubing? I know iowa80 , but there was a place someone recommended, was like Airtube.com or something, it was a tubing supplier and had good prices and really good sizes in all tube you could want, not to mention a different selections of metals.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM

Did you pour all 3 bottles in at once or just 1 sludge and 1 lube guard? Also are they diesel specific? I run Rotella 15-40 non synthetic.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM

you make sure your oil is topped off before you change it, pour the sludge remover in, but make sure your engine is up to running temp first... let it idle for 5 mins, then drain your oil... i didn't see if the sludge was diesel specific, but i know the Lube Guard can be used in diesel motors... after you're done with your oil change, add in the bottles of Lube Guard to the oil and you're done
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 PM

OK, I gotcha. I'll have to give it a try when I change my oil again. I'm always going way over on my oil changes, so I guess will see how this works for me.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 PM

let me know how it works out for you. i'm curious!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Synthetic Oil

Synthetic oils do increase MPG simply because they lubricate the engine better, smoothing things out. And they pay for themselves by increasing the oil change interval. Also, driving style has a HUGE effect.

______________________driving to show off____driving for economy

Stock______________________15-16_______________18-20

after Smarty (SW5)___________17-19_______________20-22

after Synthetic Oil Change______18-20_______________23-24
(Royal Purple 15W40)

***Everyone knows that the overhead computer is not accurate, however everytime I have hand calculated MPG, it is consistently 1-2 MPG below what it shows. So it is a decent indicator. All the readings are the computer readings, so subtract 1-2.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM

I've always used Delo. I now have 169K on the truck. Is it advisable to switch to synthetic?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_88
you make sure your oil is topped off before you change it, pour the sludge remover in, but make sure your engine is up to running temp first... let it idle for 5 mins, then drain your oil... i didn't see if the sludge was diesel specific, but i know the Lube Guard can be used in diesel motors... after you're done with your oil change, add in the bottles of Lube Guard to the oil and you're done

Lube Gard is some really great stuff. I've tried almost every product they make (except the Mercon ATF additive) with excellent results.

I have no use for any sludge remover because I have LC20 from Lube Control
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Lube Gard is some really great stuff. I've tried almost every product they make (except the Mercon ATF additive) with excellent results.

I have no use for any sludge remover because I have LC20 from Lube Control
That stuff seems to be pretty interesting. How long have you been running it HOHN? Any benefits that you know of? Also have you tried the diesel FP60?

Quick Reply: Better Fuel Mileage