Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best way to tap into factory wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to tap into factory wire

I just ordered a Diesel Turbo Life Saver for my truck. Unlike the '02 and older models this DTLS is not a plug in module, you have to tap into the factory wiring. According to the manufacturer this is because the '03 wiring harness has been changed and they couldn't get the information needed on the factory connectors. Supposedly, it will be quite some time before they offer an '03 DTLS that simply plugs into the factory connectors.<br><br>My questions is &quot;what is the best way to tap into a factory wire&quot;? The DTLS manufacturer is recommending scotch lock connectors. Do you know of a better way? I would like to have something that would allow the DTLS to be removed if needed in the future but that may not be possible.<br><br>I'm told that their are three or four connections that need to be made. I should get the DTLS today so I will find out for sure.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:30 AM

Re:Best way to tap into factory wire

Here is how I have tapped into wires:<br><br>Take the factory wire you want to tap into and carefully cut about a 1/2 inch slit in the wire. Use a sharp razor knife to make the cuts, then cut all the way around the wire. Be careful not to cut so deep you hit the wires. It is better to not cut all the way through, and bend the wire to &quot;break&quot; the insulation. Once the wire is exposed use a punch to seperate the wires into two strands with a &quot;hole&quot; between the two strands. Take the wire you want to tap into the factory wire with, and clear about 1/2 of an inch of the insulation from the end of the wire. pull the wires on this wire into two strands also. <br><br>Now take the new wire, put one of the strands through the whole you made between the factory wire strands. I then twist the ends of the new wire around the factory wire, try to weave the wires together. Then solder the wires together. After I solder the wires I always clean the wires with contact cleaner, to remove any of the flux found in the solder. I then wrap the entire connection with electrical tape.<br><br>If I want to remove the wire later I put a quick disconnect on a short pigtail and do the same thing. I have never had any luck using the scotch lock connectors.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:02 AM

that sounds like an excellent way to tap in..i tried those scotchlok connectors also and wasnt happy at all w/ them, i wound up cutting the wire and using a male and female spade connection w/ heat shrink tubing ( w/ no room to work)but your idea sounds even better, basically you can't lose connection
Old 05-22-2003, 07:49 PM

Currently on page six of this forum is a subject &quot;gauges and trans temp&quot;.

In that subject Sierra Phil refers to http://i.b5z.net/i/u/265866/i/2003_Dodge.pdf

which gives some instructions for '03 gauge installs. Go to the last page of these instructions and you see a picture where they tap into the factory ignition. It looks like some type of purchased connector is being used and it looks like it would be an ideal setup for what I want. Does anybody know what these connectors are called, where to get them or if they are any good.

This could be a possible alternative to BPD239 suggestions because it give a quick disconnect at the tap in point. In any case I'd appreciate any comments.

The link to the instructions takes a bit to load so be patient.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:07 PM

Never mind. I went out searching today and found the connector at an autoparts store. It's a type of scotch lock connector.<br><br>Looks like I will be following BPD239's advice.<br><br>Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 07:30 PM

I do not like the manufacturer is recommending scotch lock connectors, I have had one loosen up on me . It took three months to find the problem. Was not fun. there are better ways to do this. WWW.greatvalleyind.com, also waytek is another. Overfueled