Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

The best way to get smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best way to get smoke

I have a 2000 5 speed and I was wondering what the best way to get smoke was. I know that chips and injectors and things like that work but because everything is so exspensive I am unable to get everything. I was wanting to know what the best thing to do to get more smoke.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a cigar.

Smoke is basically unburned fuel. Do us a favor, save your money, do some research and buy quality parts. Your truck will run better, last longer and be faster.

If you can't afford parts now, can you afford to blow $3. a gallon fuel out your exhaust pipe?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

I agree, build for power, not smoke.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
msquare is right smoke being blown all over gives diesels a bad name. get quality parts and then the smoke will come.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
msquare is right smoke being blown all over gives diesels a bad name.

Kinda wierd reading that from a guy whos log on is 99globalwarmer!

You want smoke... get bigger injectors, but don't go too big or your gonna kill your tranny(if its an auto) and your EGTs will skyrocket.

I don't care what anybody says... there is no cooler sight then seeing a ploom of black smoke pouring out of a pair of stacks... or any exhuast set-up honestly. And just to clarify, if you build for power, the smoke will come with it. The two go hand in hand.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
I don't care what anybody says... there is no cooler sight then seeing a ploom of black smoke pouring out of a pair of stacks... or any exhuast set-up honestly. And just to clarify, if you build for power, the smoke will come with it. The two go hand in hand.
I agree completely. No better sight. But it has it's place. And in my opinion, it's place is not at every stoplight. Just like anything else, too much of something, and there will be a law against it. There's a kid in town with a 3rd gen and he must have just gotten his big fueling box because everytime I see him he's blacking out two lanes of traffic. Everytime. How long until people get tired of that and want something done about it? I don't know, but it's getting closer everytime he does it. Does my truck smoke? Yes, when I want it to, and then it's not some ungodly ammount like that guy. First time my wife saw him do it she asked me if that was illegal. I told her not yet. Point is I don't want there to come a time when every truck that smokes a little gets harassed because a few people who like to lay tons of coal everytime they take off.

Basically, smoke costs money. You really can't get it for free, thank God. Please don't build your truck on the basis of how much smoke you can make.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4

I didn't say it wasn't cool to see. I can black out a highway. But there is a time and place for it. Smoke is responsible for most of the bad public image of diesels.

And a well built and tuned truck will not smoke constantly. IMO a constantly smoking truck in an indicator of poor tuning or lack of driver skill.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
I didn't say it wasn't cool to see. I can black out a highway. But there is a time and place for it. Smoke is responsible for most of the bad public image of diesels.

And a well built and tuned truck will not smoke constantly. IMO a constantly smoking truck in an indicator of poor tuning or lack of driver skill.
BINGO! My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:13 AM

I don't think anybody wants smoke constantly pouring out... and thats not what I meant to imply.

But often times when a newer person posts this particular question, generally they get more negative reponses about more smoke. I'd bet 9 times out of 10 its a guy with a stock truck that never sees smoke, like myself. I'd love to have some smoke when I want it... but not all the time. Just because a guy says he wants more smoke doesn't mean he wants to speed up global warming by tenfold.

And my comment about it being cool to see wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement to anyone and everyone... wether it be a fellow diesel enthusiast or some hippy tree hugger. I don't see black smoke very oftwen, but when I do... I love it.

Oh, and I do agree don't build your truck just to get black smoke.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM

If want to build your truck for just smoke, you should have gotten a 12v. I agree with all of the other guys on here, people want to smoke all of the time give us a bad name. Because of all of the diesel smoking in my hometown in Tennessee they made a city law against "exsessive smoking" because of kids sliding plates full forward just to see smoke. Both of my truck are modded out, however I try not to smoke them. The Delaware troopers and the great (ha ha) city of Dover really frown upon it. To save youself a ticket, I would suggest leaving the smoke on the track or in the dirt.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by erics76
There's a kid in town with a 3rd gen and he must have just gotten his big fueling box because everytime I see him he's blacking out two lanes of traffic. Everytime.
And that's exactly the type of person that would do that all the time thinking he's cool. A KID.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd agree, it is an awesome sight, but I'm sure your neighbor drivers don't like it, and even with my mods with the a/c on I have to accelerate slowly otherwise I can't see the car behind me....I won't care as much once I get a stack since it will go over everyone, but I live in a small town and take the same route every day, don't want to make a bad name for myself.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 AM

you want smoke i'll sell you my van aaken chip for cheap... she smokes like a pig!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 AM

Smoke was so cool for the first month until I had to use clay bar everytime I washed my truck to get the soot off!!! It get's old fast. Better to have clean, strong power than puking, laggy, high egt, wasted power....
Old 08-29-2007, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Smoke was so cool for the first month until I had to use clay bar everytime I washed my truck to get the soot off!!! It get's old fast. Better to have clean, strong power than puking, laggy, high egt, wasted power....
still handy for when some punks don't get outa your way or someone really pisses you off let off the throttle for a second then plant it in then let off right away as the tourque convertor builds and you'll completly make them disapear!

Quick Reply: The best way to get smoke