Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best Pulling clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Pulling clutch?

I was thinking about maybe doing a few truck pulls this year, and was wondering what is the best kind of clutch to purchase for my truck?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 PM

I dont know if there is a "BEST" clutch out there.

I chose South Bend Clutch and have not been dissapointed.

www.southbendclutch.com
Old 03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Muted User

'Doing a few pulls a year' clutch and 'the best pullin' clutch are two totally diferent animals. The best pulling clutches in the world are Mitchells twin disk and Haisleys twin disk. That being said, you dont want to pick up your hottie on a sat night and take her to the movies with those clutches in yur rig either..... Maybe some guys who do both will chime in here....

Kevin
Old 03-31-2005, 10:44 PM

Kevin,
Which clutch do you run?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Muted User

Niether, mine is a daily driver and I like to bang gears fast, so a dual disk was out of the question for me. I run a LUK Cerrametallic 13". Its very fast shifting, has a lighter pedal than stock and holds mine just fine (prob about 400HP/800Tq cant say for sure) I havent hooked with it yet, but the weather's getting warmer and county fairs are right around the corner

Kevin
Old 04-01-2005, 01:05 AM

YOUR WRONG 600 MEGAWATTS. haisleys dual disc is not the best , there triple and quad disc are. i talked to all of those guys (haisley,mitchell and sb) and i was sold on the haisley clutches after talking to them very knowledgeable and will tell you why there clutches are better than the others. i was 99% sure i was going to get the sb dd clutch til i talked to the haisley's. i always wanted a mitchell clutch until i heard some bad remarks on there customer service. you cant go wrong with any of those three they are all great . i get my street puller clutch put in monday i can't wait
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 AM

Haler,
What dont you like about the south bend?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:09 AM

i was told that they make the best single you can buy, but there dual disc haven't yet been tested in sled pullin and i was told that their flywheels aren't billet steel
Old 04-01-2005, 03:51 AM

People have been pulling with SBC's for a while now. At one time that statement was true but now it is not.
The South Bend clutch and flywheel was submitted to SFI and passed their certification process with no changes to the clutch or flywheel. So I would venture to say that their flywheel holds up with the best of them. South Bends flywheel is steel by the way.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/images/ddkit.gif

http://www.southbendclutch.com/images/dd_insert.gif
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Muted User

Triple and Quad disk Yikes, guess I have been under a rock for a bit !!!

Well, you cant go wrong with either of those guys stuff. When you build a 1,000HP 5.9 CTD dogde ram pulling truck, design and build your own clutch for it and then proceed to make hundreds of hooks with it, that gives you braggin rights over some of the other companies out there, thats for sure. And I will just leave my statement at that to avoid any arguments....

Kevin
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM

i'll agree with what 600 megawatts says and leave it at that.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Yup you guys better leave it at that.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM

i have a southbend 3850 dual disk in my truck, it has 1k or so miles on it. i put in a nv5600 when i did the clutch install. the tranny is a real pita to shift, but i knew it would be worse than my 5 speed. the clutch is heavy for street driving, i would not recommend it to all but the most hard core for street use. but this thing holds like there is no tomorrow. i tried it out the other day, 3rd gear launch. pulled the revs up to 3000, eased the clutch out till it started building boost then mashed the fuel to the floor and let the clutch out the rest of the way. my neighbor said she was going to call the epa, the steet was total smoke for 200 plus feet. mostly tire smoke, it put all 4 285's up like it was nothing.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Also, it has to be remembered Haisley has some non street clutches that no one else offers at the moment unless you are running something custom.
The SBC 3850's are a PITA as stated above to drive on the street.
J.R. Adkins runs a 4200lb SBC on the street! Talk about monster clamp load!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run a 4100 lb clutch for 3 years. It is not for everyone. My wife was a gymnastics champ and always had ankle troubles. After ten years of no ankle troubles they came back after driving my truck for a few weeks. Peter gets part of the clamp load from leverage changes. Mine gets it from spring rate changes and it is plain brutal to disengage. A leveraged clutch would be easier to operate. It was one of the first clutchs out there and improvements have been made since then in all the clutchs out there.

The last time I talked to Red Mcleod he said the Haisley stuff was rebadged McLeod.
Its good stuff. Some of the best! McLeod knows their stuff.

SouthBend gets my next clutch money. I have some plans cooking and will need a maximum effort clutch and Peter has been good to me and many many others in the past.

Crower is good too. Maybe EE uses some Crower now??

Its all good now. Steel flywheels are great for safety! They are not as good as iron at grip and holding ability.

Don~

Quick Reply: Best Pulling clutch?