Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

best/least expensive/most effecient way to the land of 400??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best/least expensive/most effecient way to the land of 400??

well i am at the cross roads of a major decision....to keep the truck the way it is or to go for a little more....

as i said before..."I'm not going to bomb it"

as you all said before..."yea right"

so i have come to the point where i do want some more hp/tq , but i dont want to go "in a positive way" over kill...like those of you out there with 800/1500

what do you think i will need based on the sig. (whats been done, which isnt much)

any and all recommendation are welcome but keep in mind that i WANT a daily driver....maybe 400-450 hp and 750-900 tq something i can make those F*$D/D-M@X guys think about before they want to rev up and give me that "my truck cost 50,000" look....and so i can smile back and say "yea it LOOKS like it did, and aint got edited by admin of a truck that cost me less than 15,000"

thanks in advance

NCA

ps...the reason i say "cost me less than 15k" is because you all would KILL me if you knew what i paid for it. 15k is what i figure it will cost me in total (including the purchase of the truck) to get her there....

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-13-2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: off color remark
Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're wanting 450/??? you'll need to give the transmission some attention. A converter and valve body at the very least. You'll also have to give some thought to your fuel system, a pusher pump or some other system to support that hp goal. A new turbo will be in order, a good turbo would be a HTT or II 62/12. Now the fun part, FUEL. There are a bunch of ways to get there. I would recommend at least a 150 HP injector and fueling box of some sort. Since you have a Quad Commander maybe look at something from Quadzilla.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 AM

Yup! Smarty, Mach 4's and a medium turbo would be 400 hp and a sweet daily ride! That combo would probably do ok with just a big line kit... to keep fuel pressure up, but a FASS would be first class. However, at least a valve body is essential...and adding a TC also would make it like driving a whole new truck!

Adding a fueling box, now or later, and you'd have 500 hp to play with and could still turn it down to 425 hp +/- for daily driving. That's where I seem to have settled into for commuting and work. Also a perfect level for towing!

RJ
Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM

valve body- 600?
pusher pump- 120
jammer 5's- 400
hx35 into 35/40- 350
power puck- 200

I have run none of these parts and don't speak from experience on this, but these are common bombs and my money says that is a 400+ combo. There are better options out there for all of these bombs but you said cheapest.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Yup! Smarty, Mach 4's and a medium turbo would be 400 hp and a sweet daily ride! That combo would probably do ok with just a big line kit... to keep fuel pressure up, but a FASS would be first class. However, at least a valve body is essential...and adding a TC also would make it like driving a whole new truck!

Adding a fueling box, now or later, and you'd have 500 hp to play with and could still turn it down to 425 hp +/- for daily driving. That's where I seem to have settled into for commuting and work. Also a perfect level for towing!

RJ
If you are on a budget our new XZT that is being beta tested will deliver the same performance as the Smarty for about 1/2 the price and it is adjustable while you drive?

Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Qzilla, I just picked up a Xzillaraider Standard for $319 (I bought the Commander, too) from Vulcan Performance. Bang for the buck, that's pretty hard to beat!

And I gotta tell you that your posts here on DTR and Quadzilla's reputation for service made my decision easy. I would have bought it even if I had to pay full retail. I can't wait for it to get here!!!!!! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM

thanks for the ideas guys...

i do plan on going with a new fuel system SOON...not becasue i need it as in something is wrong as is...but i will use the good stocker i got as the replacement should i blow up the new system...

as for the bombs....ph4tty....i appericate the thoughts on CHEAPEST...by what you suggested did you have "cost" cheap or "parts" cheap in mind...

cuz i dont want cheap componants...if i need to spend a few extra bucks to get what i want well then it is just a waiting game...i just ment i dont plan on putting 10k into preformance parts...

RJ i like your idea...you hit it just right for me....i do tow maybe 20-30 times a year but really light weight 7k MAX...

so after i take care of that fuel system...i have been leaning toward a FASS 95 for about a month now. what would be next...maybe the QUAD-Z xzillerator....or would you go injectors or whould you do mild turbo or what???and when would you do the TRANNY...1st/middle/last????

NCA
Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by qzilla
If you are on a budget our new XZT that is being beta tested will deliver the same performance as the Smarty for about 1/2 the price and it is adjustable while you drive?

Just a thought.
Hey Quad, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but is the XZT you sent me to beta test the same onE as you mentioned above? If it is I really can't wait to get it on this weekend!!!!!!!!!! Heck maybe thats what I'll do tonight. I'm sure SHE'LL understand!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Just a thought.
VERY intrested...i have been following the thread!!!!!!!!!! hows it comming...did BLUE give any info after that 400mi trip?????

as well will it work with the commander???

thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Angler, The new Quadzilla Box looks promising! Saw Big Blue this weekend and the comments on this new box sound good .... But it's still new!

A Smarty now will always be resellable to the "don't want to tap my VP44 wire" group down the road.
Just a thought!

RJ
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Angler, keep in mind that Quadzilla has 2 boxes for our gen engine in testing. IIRC the one that Blue now has is the Race box not the New XZT that is now in BETA testing.

From the thread on the new Race box it will have a different Commander. But, I believe that the New XZT is compatable with the current Commander (at least I hope it is since that will most likely be my next purchase).

For a fuel system also consider one of the Walbro kits. You should be able to use the GFS-392 kit on the DTR shop page for less the $500.

As others have said, you'll at least need a compressor upgrade. That should run somewhere between $400 and $450. You've already addressed the rest of the hot side.

A set of 100hp injectors (or at least nozzles) will round out your quest for 400hp.

From there your TC and tranny will most likely need attention.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Hey Quad, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but is the XZT you sent me to beta test the same onE as you mentioned above? If it is I really can't wait to get it on this weekend!!!!!!!!!! Heck maybe thats what I'll do tonight. I'm sure SHE'LL understand!!!!!!!!
Yes, it is the new one. No tapping a wire, simple install and they are very strong for what they are.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
VERY intrested...i have been following the thread!!!!!!!!!! hows it comming...did BLUE give any info after that 400mi trip?????

as well will it work with the commander???

thanks
Sure did. Remember the box we has is totally different than the new XZT I was mentioning in this thread.

We definately have some tuning to do on the bigger box when it is running with big injectors.

Other than that, I am pretty sure he enjoys it. I know it is strong. He thinks (knows) he has some IP issues and has a new one on the way. I think his has been giving him a little trouble for a while. We will see what happens when he gets that on.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=SR_Crewchief;1537369]
Angler, keep in mind that Quadzilla has 2 boxes for our gen engine in testing. IIRC the one that Blue now has is the Race box not the New XZT that is now in BETA testing.
Correct!

From the thread on the new Race box it will have a different Commander. But, I believe that the New XZT is compatable with the current Commander (at least I hope it is since that will most likely be my next purchase).
Correct again. The "Race" box has egt, boost, transmission, and FP monitoring in the base box without the Commander. Because of this the Commander will just have a simple single connection to the box and that is it. It will also be cheaper because we do not supply a bunch of hardware with it. With the Commander you will add a bunch of parameters you can monitor like RPM, MPH, IAT, ECT, Oil Pressure, Load, Backdown% etc.

The newer XZT will work with the current Commander.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM

thanks guys...

i think it will be best for me to wait untill some of the testing is done and make a decision from there....between what is out now what will be out in the future and weather i want to "tap it".....i do think i can safely say i will be running some sort of Quad product based upon the fact that when you "mix" and "match" other things in life something always goes wrong...and with quad offering so many things i say why not stick with one product manufacturer.

i may look into doing some other items that dont require computer mods...ie...turbo,inject,tranny.....etc. then add the box last once things get settled out with them....

then next thing on the chopping block is the fuel system....my current stock system is running GREAT...(knock on wood) so this upgrade would only be in preperation of power to come....keeping the stock LP in the truck for a quick change if needed to get me home from somewhere....

i know what system i am gonna run....so i will start reasearching inject...next i think...unless one of you has a better route...maybe reasearch turbos then inject's...

ohhhhh yeaaa..at about what hp/tq level would you all suggest the tranny work...300/350/400/450/500??????? what is this stocker good for....for some reason this dang thing feels like it has a shift kit already in it....but the origional owner didnt mention anything about putting one in it....

NCA

Quick Reply: best/least expensive/most effecient way to the land of 400??