Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best intake?

what is the best intake for the price? i do daily driving and some heavy towing and have a power puck already
Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM

anyone tried the s&b intake?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My boss has one on his 98 12v. He seems happy with it so far. All hes had done to his were 50 or 60hp nozzles, a different fuel plate (not sure what #), turned the afc adjustment up a bit and blocked of his wastegate, so I don't think hes really testing the flow limits of the intake yet. He pulls a travel trailer in the summer and grosses about 17,000miles total.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM

oh, if you really wanna do it on the cheap, you could go with a BHAF. Vulcanperformance.com is about the cheapest at $38 and some change.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM

i am talkin bout the intake tube on the drivers side not the air filter tube, thought the thing on the drivers side was the intake? guess it is the plenum
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

CFM+ seems to be the cheapest, not sure how the power gains are, you might want to look into getting more boost along with a good set of injectors. For injectors I recommend Farm Boys Diesel, good product for a fair price.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM

i made my own works better than those expensive jobbies

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read/ heard that the improvements, if any, do not justify the cost. You will gain more with a bigger exhaust system, a 20 dollar boost elbow, or a better air filter. On the 3rd generation cummins, noticeable/documented gains have been found. Remember though, the 3rd gen heads flow a lot better than ours so the stock elbow/heater grids act as a major restriction. On a second gen 94-02, the head's flow is the major restriction.

Do what you want, but I will never own an aftermarket intake air horn.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM

2001 ctd how did you make your own?
what is a boost elbow?
and i need to know where to get a 4" down pipe for the turbo/exhaust, we will fab the rest of the exhaust thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by TOM R
2001 ctd how did you make your own?
It's just pipe... all you need to do is a get a flange that will meetup with the heating grid, and start welding pipe to it however you see fit so long as it meets back up with the intercooler piping...

S&B makes an intake air horn? I have their CAI kit and love it, by far the best bang for your buck as far as that goes, didn't know they made other intake goodies for our trucks though...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you search on ebay for boost elbow you will find one. They are an 1/8npt brass elbow with a small orifice that slows down the boost pressure signal=pressurized air that goes to the wastegate system. This slowdown or limiter lets the wastegate stay closed so higher than stock, higher than 20 psi boost can be achieved. Higher boost is perfectly acceptable for a stock HX 35 or HY35 if you have an 01' automatic. Higher boost will cool off egt's, provide more air for more power, and put a smile on your face.

If you have an automatic transmission in your 01' it came with an HY35 turbo stock. It does not have a silicone hose and brass elbow barb system that can be modified with a boost elbow. Instead, it has a solid steel line than feeds boost pressure to the wastegate system. The easiest way to raise boost on that turbo is to set up a turnbuckle of sorts that mechanically prohibits the wastegate armature from moving open. A more expensive version of a turnbuckle that uses a spring tension system is called a J-hook. But for nearly 100 dollars, why not buy a turnbuckle at a local hardware store for 5 bucks.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
Remember though, the 3rd gen heads flow a lot better than ours . On a second gen 94-02, the head's flow is the major restriction.
Do you have any info backing this up. Some numbers from a flow bench would nice
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM

isn't this doing the same thing as the power puck? i am just trying to increase my airflow through the engine so it can breath,my truck has plenty of power with just the puck, where's the best price on stuff?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TOM R
isn't this doing the same thing as the power puck? i am just trying to increase my airflow through the engine so it can breath,my truck has plenty of power with just the puck, where's the best price on stuff?
Tuners can only do so much within their hardware limitations. Meaning you can only add so much fuel with stock injectors, you can only flow so much air with a stock turbo, and you can only be as efficient as your stock piping... the power puck in addition to an exhaust, intake, etc, would net higher results than the power puck by itself.

A little searching goes a long way... I got some of my stuff from genos garage, also from http://corruptmotors.com who had very fair pricing. A lot of the products out there have pretty good writeups right here on the forums, if you're interested in any one of them just type it in and I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the results ...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM

ended up ordering a s&b airbox,cfm composite plenum, 4" down pipe(we will fab the rest of the exhaust and stacks) and a auto meter pillar 3 guage pod with gauges and speaker hole, wheew expensive morning

Quick Reply: best intake?