Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best CTD build up????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best CTD build up????

Hi i have an 02 dodge ctd and want to build a very fast/ powerful truck and i want help/ guidance on what to buy and where to buy to get the most power bang for the buck. I know i have to do a tranny and am saving up i think im just gonna do a rebuild i also want to do a smarty, but other than that i just have ideas for a turbo, injectors, so on. Every little bit will help me and i know that you guys all have your own knowledge to push me along so thanks in advance!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 AM

a full set of gauges(fuel press, boost, egt, and tranny temp) a lift pump, head studs, edge drag comp stacked with your smarty, f1 Mach injectors( I will be going with Mach 4 but you can go bigger), port polish fire ring heads, a set of twins, traction bars, water meth, 5" exhaust, I am no expert by any means but this is a set up that I am trying to achieve
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM

You are wasting your time if you try and make big power on a stock transmission. The motor might be making it, but even a rebuilt stock transmission wont put anywhere close to all of it down. Get a GOOD transmission built. I reccomend www.goerend.com . Then once you get that, you can go crazy with the motor.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM

What's in my sig is good for 12s in the 1/4 and 20+ mpg on the highway and is very daily driveable. However there are better options out there now for turbos. A 64/71/14 would probably make a better charger. I would like a 62/71/14 in place of my sledpuller 66 so I can use it in twins later.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Flatbed' covered it pretty well.
I would add a FASS type fuel pump and I believe the Adrenaline from Quadzilla will do as well as the Smarty/Drag Comp boxes... once they get all the kinks worked out of it. And, the Adrenaline will replace the need for the four gauges...if you don't mind digital instead of analog.
5" exhaust is optional but sounds great.... 4" performs as well up to 700 hp.

As stated, tranny should be first. Twins are the only way to go, IMO, with a heavily fueled auto. If you are like most of us, you will add fuel (hard to resist) before you invest in a bigger turbo setup ...... so be sure to keep your little factory turbo under 32 psi boost as you climb the HP mountain.

Also, do yourself a favor. Add only one thing at a time. It makes any trouble shooting that might be needed much easier.

RJ
Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 AM

I would also go with the adrenaline. I think it is a good set up with a few bugs but they have been working them out and they stand behind their stuff.

I also like the digital gauges.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 AM

THANKS ALOT FOR THE COMMENTS!!!!! When i say a tranny rebuild i mean a whole performance billit tranny no way am i gonna try and put any power to a stock and i like the idea of the adrenaline too but i also did hear that a smarty stacks with a tst??? or somthing along those lines was the best but i cant remeber what the chip was called but i love the help
Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 AM

I had a Smarty stacked on a TST Comp for three yrs! It's a great combo.... and prices should be lower on the used TST's...now the Adrenaline is out.

BUT, the Adrenaline is the only box I've tried that made a full (rated) 180 hp on my auto. And for a Smarty/TST you will pay a lot more and get no gauges. Adrenaline is coming out with custom tuning that may make the other boxes obsolete... if Quad can eliminate the surging issues we beta testers are dealing with now.

'Kid77' - Welcome to DTR. Fill in "signature" ...under "User CP" in the header. It than posts your truck info so we can give you better informed answers!

RJ
Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

thanks again the adrenaline sounds siick but should i wait to buy because of the bugs??? i already had a chip, dual 4" exhaust, and injecors planned before snow and as i said im waiting to sell a few things for the tranny build up but all this is a great help thanks again keep posting
Old 10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Camarokid77
Hi i have an 02 dodge ctd and want to build a very fast/ powerful truck and i want help/ guidance on what to buy and where to buy to get the most power bang for the buck. I know i have to do a tranny and am saving up i think im just gonna do a rebuild i also want to do a smarty, but other than that i just have ideas for a turbo, injectors, so on. Every little bit will help me and i know that you guys all have your own knowledge to push me along so thanks in advance!!!!

What are you going to use the truck for? Is it going to tow? Race? Sledpull? This all helps determine which parts are going to work best for you.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:33 PM

if ya wanna go on the cheaps for the injectors...i am pleased with the jammer nozzles i have now. if u want bigger power get the jammer 5, but you will need a bigger turbo. just look in my sig. its a perdy good but its incomplete...i need a turbo and a tranny. i had my smarty for 20,000 and now the trans slips going in to od and 3, the tq shutters bad at some times. i cant tow with it right now but in about another month i will get a suncoast trans.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 AM

Hey thanks for all the posts i want to use it for ocassional pulling such as a car or landscape stuff but mostly race even thought a sled puller would be sick not as practical
Old 10-04-2008, 12:51 AM

When ur looking into trans. Look at Hts. Dusty will put u in the right direction.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
The Guru

For an all out rig, go with 6.7L, twin CP pump and twin turboed. Of course there are a few details left out but, it would be one sweet ride of a truck. Nice daily ride too. I bet you could pull 700 rwhp, day in, day out. You just need a decent transmission to handle that 1200+ lbs of torque, daily.