Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best box for fuel mileage? EZ? Van Aaken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Len

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best box for fuel mileage? EZ? Van Aaken?

What experience has anyone had on real world fuel mileage improvement, if any, from installation of a timing box on the 24 valve?? I know there are a lot of tainted results from the trip computer (all aftermarket upgrades fool the ECM, so the trip computer becomes optimistic), so I'm not interested in those readings.
Is the EZ the favorite for a modest power boost, and hopefully a fuel mileage improvement?
My truck is used for towing, so I don't want to foul up reliability. It already has good power for my purposes.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM

when i had just my comp box it was awesome on fuel but you have to remember that the extra power you get out of the boxes the more ya get into them playing with the power. well that was my problem haha.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM

I have a Smarty on my '02. I own a house upstate so Im always looking for a MPG edge. I have experimented with the different settings the Smarty offers, including #1, which is supposed to be for fuel economy. Believe it or not, I get much better highway mileage on #7 than #1.(around town is another story) I have a Scangauge mounted on the dash, which plugs into the ECU and can be programmed to show 4 different functions at once. I set mine to show TPS and also engine load, which is the % of available power being used. So on Smarty #7 the TPS and load are much lower than any of the other Smarty settings- the throttle is not open as much, and the engine isnt using as much of its potential power. The best MPG so far? Around 24 -25. Im sure with bigger sticks and maybe an Edge to control timing I can do better, but thats my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the DTR

My first choice would be a Smarty. More setting choices for you to find best mileage.
But, for your stated needs/wants, it's hard to pass up lower prices on used EZ's in the classifieds. With your 275 injectors, and either box, you will get the combo that has produce the best mileage for many members.

One consideration is your tranny (type not listed). If an auto you may be over working it with extra hp from a box?

RJ
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by SkyKing56
I have a Smarty on my '02. I own a house upstate so Im always looking for a MPG edge. I have experimented with the different settings the Smarty offers, including #1, which is supposed to be for fuel economy. Believe it or not, I get much better highway mileage on #7 than #1.(around town is another story) I have a Scangauge
what is a scangauge and where can you get one?sounds pretty cool
Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM

I like my VA and get around 18 in town and as high as 21 on the highway. Towing 14k I get about 11. I want some 275s next and I expect things will improve a bit.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 PM

duallydave
The board admin. dont like people posting links, just go to scangauge dot com. The scangauge is the best bang for the buck,it can be used in any newer vehicle with obdII diagnostics. Besides monitoring over a dozen functions (4 at a time on the screen) it also can scan for codes and then it can clear them if you want. I use mine in both my 2500 and my VW Golf diesel. The best thing is when you show up at a used car dealer with it and plug it into any vehicle you are interested in buying. Really makes the salesmen nervous