Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best all around Towing Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be honest with a Comp and RV275's, towing from Phnx to Abq thru Flagstaff, my truck was horrible. I was down to 25-30 mph on some of the hills. I can attribute some of it to my tranny which was on its way out, but the truck didn't have what it needed to pull the load up some of those grades reguardless of tranny condition. My EGTs never got crazy and it just felt like the load was more than my truck could pull. I really just wanna be problem free and stress free. If twins is what it takes to run that way then I'll go that route. What I really wanted to hear and I got a bit of it, was can a single cut the mustard. I'd really like to hear from someone who has a larger single that tows with it. I really have only 3 questions for them.

1. What are the specs on your current turbo

2. what size injector are you running.

3. How are your EGTs.

Fell free to give me any and all info you want on your setups, as I love to see how others are getting the job done. You twin guys can chime in too. ( I'd still like to hear from someone running a Rip Rook setup)
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have a turnbuckle on your wastegate?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HTB2 with 12 exhaust housing, or equivalent, is a very nice towing single, but something more than rv275s will be needed to get the most out of it. rv275's only add 40 to 45 hp to an ETH engine (HO), which responds well to larger injectors ... lees than that on the ETC (SO) engine.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RJF
Why do you want 150HP sticks, a TST, twins, and the rest of that racing crap for towing? You do NOT need all that.
Our 2002 H.O. truck has nothing more than Mach 1 65HP injectors, and I could pull basically any hill I wanted at 80mph with my 27' 7K sled trailer behind me.

Leave the stock turbo on(maybe get a nice Phat shaft 62/14 if EGT's are high), leave the Smarty downloaded, leave the 275's in, get your tranny done, and enjoy cruising over average passes at 70-80mph.

I'd agree as well. A smarty/TST M1.6 combo will get you really close to 400hp with lots of flexibility and great economy, and is well within the cooling range of a towable single (PS62) and you radiator.

When you talk about twins and Mach 4s, you're NOT talking about a towing rig!

Justin
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'd agree as well. A smarty/TST M1.6 combo will get you really close to 400hp with lots of flexibility and great economy, and is well within the cooling range of a towable single (PS62) and you radiator.
Charlie8301 dyno'd 470 with mach 1.5 + sps62 + smarty + tst
Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
When you talk about twins and Mach 4s, you're NOT talking about a towing rig!

Justin
I don't know why not? That's a very similar set up to mine except I have BD's 155hp inj vs. Don M's 150 hp Mach 4's, and my truck is a towing SOB! It's definitely not a drag truck. If anything, my truck is a tow rig. I tow 15k and don't ever get over 1200 on the pyro. After all BD markets their twins as "towing twins".
Old 06-06-2006, 04:55 PM

Well now I'm going to have to try towing something to see how well my "tow setup" works. I don't hardly tow anything but wanted a higher hp truck with good manners. Only other way I would build a 475ish hp would be like ph4tty. (smarty/mach4's/hrvp/PS64) 477hp w/o tapping the wire makes me jealous

Randy
Old 06-06-2006, 06:15 PM

Yes my HY-35 is turnbuckled.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A good single is all you need unless you got the urge for twins
Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie8301
Well now I'm going to have to try towing something to see how well my "tow setup" works. I don't hardly tow anything but wanted a higher hp truck with good manners. Only other way I would build a 475ish hp would be like ph4tty. (smarty/mach4's/hrvp/PS64) 477hp w/o tapping the wire makes me jealous

Randy
The only other way I'd set my truck up is like Randy What can I say, I think thats a great setup you've got there buddy and your truck probably has better manners and is ready to tow,... or just haul butt

BTW don't let SAE correction steal those 15 hp from me =P
Old 06-07-2006, 12:25 AM
RJF

[QUOTE=caleb c.]
Originally Posted by RJF
Why not?
1. Uses more fuel than neccessary with huge injectors and monstor boxes.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but the above quote I dont understand. You only use as much fuel as you want too, you can make a set of M4's put out only as much as RV275's. It is not a full on full off thing. As for the Box, I dont even tow with it on anything higher than 1x1. Its just like a stock truck, you may have to nail it up a hill to get to the top, whereas a truck running some fuel will not have to be hammered up the hill, which in my case at least = better economy.

THats all the power you need(QUOTE)

Well, your exactly right. But WANT is the key word! I want a bad tow rig, as that is what I do 90 percent of the time. But when not loaded, I want it to SCREAM
Fuel is fuel like you said. It doesn't matter how far you have your foot buried, it takes the same amount of fuel and air to make a certain HP rating regardless if you are buried with the pedal making the stock injectors dump a certain amount of fuel, or keeping your foot out of it and making it up with a larger injector that dumps more fuel at less throttle input.

Guys that think they are gaining so much by not having to excercise their ankles up a hill need to understand that it isn't majic. The load, truck, and hill are going to require "X" amount of power. You aren't gaining anything by having huge injectors that dump the same amount of fuel at part throttle as a set of smaller injectors at 90% throttle.

If the motor can pull the hill with nothing more than Mach 1's at the speed limit with 90% throttle, that the same motor with Mach 4's TST/Smarty, twins, head studs, colored valve cover, high flow slobber valve.....at 50% throttle can, You aren't gaining anything but adding more things to go wrong.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 AM
RJF

Originally Posted by Cspotrun
I'll be honest with a Comp and RV275's, towing from Phnx to Abq thru Flagstaff, my truck was horrible. I was down to 25-30 mph on some of the hills. I can attribute some of it to my tranny which was on its way out, but the truck didn't have what it needed to pull the load up some of those grades reguardless of tranny condition. My EGTs never got crazy and it just felt like the load was more than my truck could pull. I really just wanna be problem free and stress free. If twins is what it takes to run that way then I'll go that route. What I really wanted to hear and I got a bit of it, was can a single cut the mustard. I'd really like to hear from someone who has a larger single that tows with it. I really have only 3 questions for them.

1. What are the specs on your current turbo

2. what size injector are you running.

3. How are your EGTs.

Fell free to give me any and all info you want on your setups, as I love to see how others are getting the job done. You twin guys can chime in too. ( I'd still like to hear from someone running a Rip Rook setup)
How heavy was the load? If you can't tow faster than that up a hill with your box and injectors, then something is wrong.

We had the same problem. Dad bought an '02 H.O., was completely disapointed the first trip as it was pulled down to 45mph on a moderate hill and a 7k trailer..... turned out to be a VP44 on it's way out. With a fresh '44 and Mach 1's, he can pull the same hill with the same trailer (trailer weight is always the same since it is a snowmobile trailer) at 75mph....

As far as your modification questions.... How much money do you want to spend for a stiff ankle? Giving your ankle a little excercise is free. It doesn't matter how many power adders you have. You can only pull the hill at the speed limit and it only takes so much power to do it, which is usually less than 400HP.... Having your foot further down and saving some money yeilds identical results as the expensive route, as long as you can control EGT's.

Or..... set the cruise and forget throttle input.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM

you the same RJF over on towrig.com?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 AM
RJF

Originally Posted by doznfire
you the same RJF over on towrig.com?
Yes. Congrats on the June truck of the month.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:12 AM

Thanks.Just making sure I know who is who

Quick Reply: Best all around Towing Setup