Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bell tech lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bell tech lowering springs

Anyone here using the Bell tech 3" front 4" rear lowering kit? Want to lower my 99 dually, and now is a good time as I need to replace my Balll joints. Bell tech has the #'s on their website, just wondering how they affect the ride quality. The rear kit moves the front spring hanger and adds longer shackles, so that should not affect tyhe ride, just the front springs. Peace Murf
Old 07-08-2004, 01:29 PM

Sorry man, I can't answer your question. But I do have a couple gee whiz for you....do you tow heavy with your truck, is it a 4x4, and why do you want to lower a dually truck designed to haul/tow heavy things?
I could'nt imagine lowering mine...if anything a couple inches higher and bigger tires like 19.5's
Good luck with your project
Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 PM

There is a member on here that lowered his dually, looked really good. He seems to know quite a bit about that kind of stuff. I think his name is Jaime and he goes by the name hellotbone. You might want to Pm him.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:01 PM

I believe Jamie uses air bags to lower his ride. I have a Bell Tech kit on my 89 Chevy truck. The stuff is quality and does not affect the ride. You're not changing the suspension geometry, just lowering the body. After I installed the spindles, I did have to do some surgery on the lower arms to allow the stock wheels to reach the turn stops. ( I ran steel wheels in the winter) I used a MONDO angle grinder to trim a little edge off the arm. I don't know how Dodge attaches the hangers to the frame, but you'll need a cutting tool if they are riveted as mine were. I drilled the rivet out, then used a chisel to whack the head off. I did have a little interference between a bed brace and the rear shackle, but the grinding tool eliminated it quickly. BTW, you will need to remove the bed to install the spring hangers. I'll tell you what, I like a slightly lifted 4x4, but I love a slammed street rod. Hope the info helps. It's easy to do with basic tools.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Moose10
Sorry man, I can't answer your question. But I do have a couple gee whiz for you....do you tow heavy with your truck, is it a 4x4, and why do you want to lower a dually truck designed to haul/tow heavy things?
I could'nt imagine lowering mine...if anything a couple inches higher and bigger tires like 19.5's
Good luck with your project
Mine is a 2WD, The rear kit does not effect the rear suspension geometry, or weight hauling capability to a great extent. I use my truck as a tow rig for my Jeep Wrangler on an open trailer, at about 6-7000 lbs (and hopefully soon a 35-38 ft off shore boat) The main reason (s) for my desire to lower it are purely asthetic. I want the truck to sit level, I do not care for the tail high stance, and I like the "long and low" look. Furthermore with my front airdam, I imagine it will help fuel economy when runnung bob-tail on the highway, not that it makes a great difference. Peace Murfman