Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

begining the mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
begining the mods

ok so so far i have straight pipe, gauges, and bhaf installed.
i have my #10 plate on the way now. so i am thinking before i install that i should do the 3kgk springs at the same time. then last i am looking to help my boost. is a new wastegate acuator a good decision? i dont want to go to myuch more because i still run a freshly rebuilt stock tranny. but i would like to make my plate, springs, exhaust, and intake all work to their max potential. can i get a little guidence. i tow with this truck. and am shopping for a 25ft gooseneck to two two trail rigs .so the added umph is needed. thanks for all suggestions and i am sorry for n00b all over my self.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

Go with a GSK, it makes all the differance! You are going to have to do something about EGTs with a #10 plate. You will need to do something about your turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(a hybred or a bigger one)

CRIS
Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Your plate kit will have a boost elbow which will increase boost. If your trans. is just a stock rebuild, you will want to install the plate rearward from the stock position
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that load..

UR egts will skyrocket if you leave the plate stock, as wildbill says, back it off, the truck is more than capable of pulling it, you just need to keep it cooler with a larger turbo. The increased fueling that the 10 provides is cause enough also, and if your tranny is stock it will eat your TQ converter. good luck..

Tx
Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 PM

thanks guys, is this fuel plate a bad idea? should i just do the springs and no plate then? thanks alot. this seems like a lot to learn in a short time since i am new to diesels
Old 03-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No no no no...

A plate will do you just fine, youll just need to watch ur EGTS... i watch mine all the time and dont let them get above 900 on my pyro, due to the probe bein mounted on the downpipe..... hey i bought it like that... The fuel plate will do wonders for the truck, you just need to beef up the tranny a lil bit.. You should be pushin with a 10 plate a 160 pump, and a gsk approx 225+ and maybe close to 600Tq... im guessin.. or is that a 6 plate im thinkin about...... But like anything else, if ur gonna play, ur gonna pay...

Someone will chime in here, there is a little chart some dudes that have that sell plates on ebay, or on genos garage that tells you what plate can be safely used, and the estimated or actual hp/tq numbers.. i cannot find it.... but if i do ill post it for you

The GSK will give you the wider powerband similar to that of a 24 valve, it will more efficiently use the power you already are gettin out of the engine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33555

go to the pictures, there is the lil chart im talkin about..

Tx
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 PM

You will be fine EGT and tranny wise. Just watch your pyro and foot. Mine will get pretty hot if i bury the pedal into the carpet, but if you drive sensibly youll be fine. My tranny slips, but has 100k or so on it, and im sure yours is in better shape. I made 246hp/635tq with just a #5 plate. I should be pushing a hair more. DEFINATLEY do the GSK. You will LOVE it. Makes the truck a LOT more driveable, and for the big hills, it lets you drop to 3rd gear, and lockout overdrive, and be able to turn 2600 rpm's or more and still have power to hold it there instead of only pulling to about 2400rpm's stock. Makes a world of difference. I also reccomend a transgo shift kit. I gave $50 on ebay for mine(i see them for $59 now), and it really helped mine a lot. It was money well spent. The TC holds MUCH better, and it shifts quicker, and firmer.

Eric
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Banned

get the 4k kit!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:40 PM

ok so i like what i hear and i think it will work out fine for me. would the bighead wastegate be to much to add on top? i am for sure gonna do the transgo. the more i read about it the more i am ready to do it!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

the big head wastegate does nothing... just put a boost elbow on there.

Forrest
Old 03-27-2005, 02:23 PM

is the boost elbow going to help lower the egts as well? i am looking for them and dont see them. i looked on heathdiesel and piers? any more directions? i am sorry for the noob questions but i want to do this right the first time.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

boost elbow just allows you to turn up the boost which will reduce EGT's. just call up one of the big name diesel shops and ask for an adjustable boost elbow. shouldn't cost more than ~$15

Forrest
Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 PM

ok thanks, the plate i orderd comes with it. thanks for all the input. all i have left to order are the springs and the trans kit.