Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD's R.A.D.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by banshee
I ran mine and dad runs his with the stock output shafts with no problems. Keep the boost building below 15 psi and you should be okay.

John
15 pounds is the spoken standard but there really is no magic saftey launch boost number when it comes to what the output shaft can handle. I have broken a OEM one after only 12 pounds of boost. My original OEM was launched at 18 several times before it let go. I have probably gone through more shafts than anyone on this site.

I would recommend a billet input & output shaft to everyone that runs in the 13's. And for those in the 12's and quicker a billet intermediate shaft as well. Why? Cause when a input or intermediate lets go things get expensive.

Opie
Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM

What is involved with replacing the output shaft?
Old 02-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
bri7070:

The output shaft is located in the "tailshaft housing" on
the very back of the auto transmission. IMO, it is easier
to replace than the input shaft. But, you still have to
remove the rear driveshaft and transfer case among
other things!

----------
John_P
Old 02-02-2004, 10:59 AM

so after you remoce the rear housing remove a snap ring or so farily easy procedure and replace it with the new shaft? I am a farily compentent shadetree mechinick so I couold do this my self?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 PM

I always advise everyone to review a manual before and during things they haven't done before. You will need a press and couple special tools ( that look like a pipe with notches and a cut intermediate shaft.) Not to mention a new gasket that goes between the tranny and the overdrive unit. If it isn't going to be a reoccuring thing you may consider just dropping the overdrive unit off at a transmission shop for them to do the swap. (They can probably do in 15 minutes what would take a first timer half the day to do.) Be carefull not to damage the park rod when removing and reinstalling the overdrive unit.

Yes it is easier to do than an input shaft but still easy to reassemble wrong none the less.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
OPIE:

Thanks for your assistance!

---------
John_P