Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BDS 4.5" lift, recipie for disaster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
every truck or jeep i have had i lifted. i had a jeep with a death wobble and replaced everything possible on the front end. after putting new tires on no more problems. most death wobbles ive seen are caused by bias tires i had thornbirds on my jeep and my friend had the same problem on his f-350 he had sx's and just a leveling kit. swampers are great off road but if its a daily driver buy radial tires. i have 36in tsl radials on my dodge and have 45000 miles on them with no shimmy or shake.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM

Another place, besides EGR that has stainless braided brake lines is Russel (the braided hose company). i just got their catalog yesterday and holy cow, I could spend a lot of money really quick!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:14 PM

My dad almost crashed his truck twice on the way home again tonight. This stupid front end problem is really becomming a life threting issue and he refuses to stop driving his truck. he said the vibration or bounceing or whatever was so bad that it threw crap from behind the seats up front and he had to hold onto the wheel just to stop from flying all over the cab. he hit his head on the windshield and he said it just got worse and worse untill the truck stoped. we replaced the tires, the stablizier is good all front end stuff is new drag link trac bar tie rods it has a DSS. We dont know what to do. we bought it from a small 4x4 shop all they do is 4x4 suspension and gear work. we installed it our selfs (no we didnt screw it up) the shop and bds are no help. I'm going to call bds tomorrow if I can and start threting them. I hate to do it but maybe I can use my chapter title and throw that around and promice to bad mouth them to know end if they dont offer some kind of help. things will get real bad for the people at bds and this 4x4 shop if my dad gets hurt, he wont be the only one. Any other advice would be apprciated other then "dont do something stupid" I'm known for doing stupid things
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Like Cowhand said, you need more caster. Take it to an alignment shop tha specializes in trucks, they'll get it straightened out.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 PM

thats the palce we took it too all they do is suspen work and gear work. they allgined it and I think from looking at it the caster is maxed out.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
How much pressure are you running in the tires? Less may help if you're running them at max inflation. That'll lower the spring rate in the tires and maybe get the bounce into a frequency range the shocks and steering damper can handle.

You might want to try another shop and get a 2nd opinion.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:21 PM

we run 50lbs front and 40lbs back. have done that since the truck was new. the stock tires got almost 70k miles out of them. last 2 sets were closer to 100k
Old 10-05-2004, 09:09 PM

If it was me, I would either call them up and demand your money back, or I would at least get ahold of a Dick Cepek dealer and get just the long links from them. Do a search on the net for Dick Cepek 6" lift. At this stage in the game, it has to be caster, and if you say the caster is maxed out, longer arms that mount farther back is the key.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:40 PM

on a little side note do you know much about the cepek kit? I had looked at it befor. I considerd getting it for my truck. the only thing I didnt like was I think I saw in the instructions a part where your suposed to cut through the frame with a hole saw. I was stil considering it but after all this stuff with my dads truck I was thinking I should just stick wtih a skyjacker since it seems 90% of the people here have one and it works fine.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Captain
I was thinking I should just stick wtih a skyjacker since it seems 90% of the people here have one and it works fine.
Well, 90% of those that have lifts.

phox
Old 10-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Banned

"If the axle is rotated too far forward, any bit of deathwobble you get is going to be multiplied by a lot."

I have had the SJ 5" lift for over a year and even with the transfer case index ring and a Tom Woods front driveshaft, I had to rotate the front axel forward to the stops to get rid of front driveshaft vibration. That being said, I have had zero problems with stability and/or death wobble. Most vehicles are not very sensitive to caster settings and based on my experience, 2002 CTDs don't really care much what the caster is. If you are experiencing the issues you describe, there must be something else wrong to cause it.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by duke1n
"If the axle is rotated too far forward, any bit of deathwobble you get is going to be multiplied by a lot."

I have had the SJ 5" lift for over a year and even with the transfer case index ring and a Tom Woods front driveshaft, I had to rotate the front axel forward to the stops to get rid of front driveshaft vibration.
That's interesting.
I was thinking of trying a Tom Woods to cure my driveshaft woes.

Guess I'll look to spend my money elsewhere.

I've had my SJ for a year and a half and have yet to experience any wobble, death or otherwise.

Guess I'm a lucky one.

Knocking on some fine US grown wood as I say this.

phox
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 AM

we have no idea what it could be. Were just guessing now, we've replaced everything we can think of allredy. bds I think once said "oh you need bigger tires" but I fail to see how smaller lighter tires would cause such a sever vibration and hop from the front end.

Is your drive shaft issue caused by the angle? and how does this tom whatever brand fix it? Its one of the things imworried about if I get a lift. I love to play in the snow and i use 4x4 alot and hard when its snowing out. what with all the parking lots in need of good doughnuts
Old 10-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Banned

I've had my lift on for about 3 weeks now and I only get a slight vibration accelerating from a stop. No other time. And it's coming from the rear. My roommates truck does it to. I highly recommend the SJ lift.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 AM

When I had my F350 with a 12" lift and 40" tires I used to get vibration when taking off. then i put a set up ladder bars on aand that solved it.

Quick Reply: BDS 4.5" lift, recipie for disaster?