Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD twins, who runs them and how do you like 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD twins, who runs them and how do you like 'em?

Looking to see some opinions on these for towing and street, along with what fueling level your at. Also do you think there worth the price?

I wouldnt mind hearing other twin owners speak up either
Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 AM

I ran them a while at ~400hp in the old '95...towing was awesome in Valet with ~330hp! Temps were 1300 tops, unless you flat footed the throttle...which you NEVER had to do with the loads I towed under 30K gross.

They also ran 1350 tops empty with 400hp!

Ran really well all around, if I had not had more fuel planned, I would have kept them! I went bigger

Chris
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are exceptional...better than I expected.
Spoolup is VERY fast and EGT's are controllable up to 600 hp/65 psi boost. It takes WOT to get much over 1250 degrees.

I liked being able to keep my 4" exhaust and Tranny cooler, also.

Directions are very clear...with pictures... and all parts are included.
These twins make towing or hauling heavy a dream!!

They are conservatively rated by BD at 500 hp max. This eliminates need for reworking head and makes EGT problems non existant, on a 24v.

Price is reasonable....better than other packaged sets out there. The BD's were computer designed, by an engineer from the ground up...and are matched perfectly, eliminating the hassel of trying to do it yourself!

RJ
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM

Yeah, your twins looks really well put together rjohnson. Nice and clean.

How would those compare to the Piers street strip twins? or
The Arctic Air twins?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 PM

I have been greatly satisfied with my BD twins. No egt issues at all. Max I've seen is 1250-1300 and I'm probably up over 500 hp with the newly installed Mach 6's. Still no issue with the new sticks. Maybe even that much more impressive keeping the truck cool in hot weather with that much fuel.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4
How would those compare to the Piers street strip twins? or
The Arctic Air twins?
Can't answer that...only other twins I've ever seen were home grown... with varying dergees of balancing problems.
I believe Piers racing twins are bigger, which means (just like single turbos) spool a little slower and pull a little harder on the top end.

The BD's are considered "smallish" as twins go...but I can tell you they work very well around 600 hp, and for heavy towing, will solve any EGT concerns at 500 hp and below!

RJ
Old 07-06-2006, 12:24 AM

Excellent. Thanks guys this is just what I wanted to hear. Anyone ever buy them from Homeontheroad.org? they have them for $2895!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 AM

That price is exceptional. Almost too good! Make sure it's a later model set with the Super B, and twin volutes, for a top turbo.... and that both turbos are S300's. I've heard, but never been able to confirm, that earlier sets had different turbos and were not as well set up??
There was a big price increase about a yr ago (and another last month, since I bgt)...so if it's a set purchased before then...that may be the reason for the low price!
I would be sure it's the same combo shown here (or we're talking apples & oranges)...

http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product....0Turbos&tt=ram

RJ
Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM

A few questions

What are the boost levels off these setups? Is anyone checking boost pressure/temperature after each turbo? If so how much does each turbo make? (I've read high intake temps, combined with the additional heat of compression in the 2ndary turbo can get the temperatures high enough that the aluminum compressor wheel can soften/weeken causing bad things. 150 Degrees C or 300 Degrees F I've heard is the limit on these wheels. Read a while ago Holset and others where working on a cast titanium wheel to get around this heat issue) Has anyone seen a setup with two intercoolers? Warning, answers will probably be met with more questions! Thanks for you input gents.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dshiftff
Excellent. Thanks guys this is just what I wanted to hear. Anyone ever buy them from Homeontheroad.org? they have them for $2895!!!
That is a steal if that is accurate. If it is a legit deal and you are in the market for twins, I'd but 'em. I did see over on TDR someone post a deal for the BD twins for about $100 more. I think jegs or summit or someone had it for that. I searched for the thread but looks like it got deleted.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 AM

I talked to Jegs, just 5 minutes ago, and they are willing to match the price, so goes to show you the mark up these co's are getting.

Summit wants over 4 grand for the same thing!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:32 AM

I went to 5 BD dealers in surrounding states (to avoid sales tax) and asked for bids... shipped to me and including frt charges. They never even had to handle the boxes. My final cost did not get w/i $500.00 of that price!!

Well done!

RJ
Old 07-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by qmcdt
What are the boost levels off these setups? Is anyone checking boost pressure/temperature after each turbo? If so how much does each turbo make........
I was planning on doing that... but these twins run so well, I don't feel the need. I did ck TIP (Drive Pressure) and got 65 psi at 65 psi Boost... 1:1

As stated above... I get 65 psi boost. Max egt of 1450* at the Drag Strip, 1/4 mile, WOT. On the street, I have never seen over 1200* at gross wt... but have not towed anything heavy yet.

RJ
Old 07-06-2006, 12:49 PM

I have driven Rjohnsons Truck with the Twins and with the HX-55. The 55 was great once you spooled it up......BUT these twins......MAN......i would honestly have to compair them to my stock HX-35 as far as spool up....if not just a bit quicker!! (That could have been the Smarty though.....) BUT Spool up is VERY FAST! I also noted that with the HX-55, it didnt take nothing to get EGT's to peg 1400+. These run almost as cool as my HX-35 with Mach II's.......@ 600 HP!!! I want to build a set.....but honestly.....if my truck ran as good at Rowlands for the $$$ spent.......without the headache........
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM

More good news on the BD's! I havent found anything negative about them yet. Paitently waiting for this guy to call me back so I can get them enroute!

Sitting here on overtime so I can pay for these things

Quick Reply: BD twins, who runs them and how do you like 'em?