Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD Torque Loc???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Torque Loc???

Anyone using one of these? Whats your opinion? Should I or Shouldnt I? ???<br><br>Thanks!!!<br>Luis
Old 03-24-2003, 07:17 AM

Re:BD Torque Loc???

Got one and thus far no problems. There are several different brands, but at the time I got mine, it was the least expensive one. <br>Big dawg
Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Paradise: I do not know exactly how much the torque lock costs, but I would suggest that you look for a valvebody instead of the torque lock too. <br>As far as I understand it the torque lock just helps when driving in lockup. A valvebody will increase the pressures and the torque capacity in all situations. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-24-2003, 11:47 AM

Luis,<br><br>Personally I wouldn't install anything that locked the TC without first replacing the TC, VB and fixing the internal leaks. The stock pressures are too low for the stock TC to hold in the lower gears.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the torque lok is one of the single most damaging items you can add to a stock auto.<br><br>do your homework well before you toast your tranny
Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 PM

I agree with Mr. Wagner. TC and VB first at a very minimum. As a matter of fact, I have a PacBrake on an automatic, and have a Pressure Lock (to keep the TC locked up in OD and 3rd when decelerating) but DO NOT have a torque loc and no problems thus far. Disclaimer: I do however, have an aftermarket TC and VB.<br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br>Roger
Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 PM

I probably should have retracted my last post, howsoever, I trust that I haven't confused you further. So.......having said that let me try again.<br><br>BD makes two devices to effect pressure on TC lockup. The first is an &quot;AutoLoc&quot; which in essence commands your TC to stay locked up when an exhaust brake is engaged.<br><br>The other device is a &quot;PressureLoc&quot; which prevents coverter clutch slippage and shuddering in high HP applications. But, by BD's own literature you should also be equipped with an after market VB.<br><br>You mention a &quot;Torque Loc&quot; and I didn't pick up on your misnomer and automatically assumed you meant &quot;Pressure Loc&quot;. We all know what it means to &quot;assume.&quot;<br><br>Hopes this clears up the confusion.<br><br>HTH<br><br>Roger
Old 03-25-2003, 02:28 AM

It's not a misnomer- BD also makes the TorqLoc, it is an AutoLoc with another setting to keep the TC clutch locked when just cruising around without the e-brake on. They warn to be careful and not put your foot into it while the TC is engaged at lower speeds. <br>See: http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product....ols&amp;tt=ram
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 AM

Ok guys. Thanks for the input. It seems that I should not do this unless I modify my tranny .<br><br>My reason for asking was that it is anoying for this thing to not shift into OD unless its doing 42mph or faster. And it does it whether I am towing or not &gt;. I have checked the TPS and it seems ok. However no one answered a question I posted earlier (should WOT votage be around 3.5v or higher?) ???. <br><br>Any ideas or tricks that I can do to get this thing to shift into OD a little earlier?<br><br>Thanks for all the input!!!<br><br>Luis<br><br>
Old 03-25-2003, 11:41 AM

When the local diesel &quot;pro&quot; installed my TC &amp; VB, he set the resistor to give me an approx. 3.25-3.5V reading. I had a lot of problems after that. Soooo, I installed a variable resistor that I got from a local electronics supply store and raised the voltage to 4.5-4.75 It's like a different truck - wierd shifting solved.