Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD Super B Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Super B Turbo?

I am looking into turbos and might have an oppertunity to pick one up from a buddy who can get one at a good price. I did a search on the turbo and got a few hits but none that were really about a 24v. Does anyone have any positive or negative results with this turbo? Also, are they a direct bolt in, or do you need a different downpipe? My mods are in my sig, the only thing that will be different is upgrade to a drag comp. Will this be enough to cool my setup? Thanks for the info!

ADAM
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM

What are you running for max egt's now? I ask because with my mods I can only hit 1100* and change.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 PM

With what I run I can see 1600+, but looking at your sig you should be ok or on the high end of 1400, I have large injectors that take me over the top.

It is a good turbo, spools slightly slower than a hx35 but boosts effecintly to 40-45 psi depending on elevation, I see about 42 psi where I am.

I bought mine being I may go to twins and I think there setup is well thought out,and yes you will need a down tube but you can buy there kit and it comes with one.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned

My old roommate is running a super b. He's got mach 1.5's, a drag comp, 4" straight pipe, and a scotty 2 with a hole. His truck is an 01 HO. At 80 or 90mph he could hit 1350-1400* pre turbo at 40-42 psi of boost. The turbo was a little laggy up to about 10-12psi but after that it took off like a rocket and instantly hit 40-42.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I had also heard that is was a little laggy, but I hope my Mad ECM takes care of that. I got my truck used with gauges already installed and the pyro is post turbo(that will be changed when the new turbo goes on). My Temps can go to around 1100-1150 post on a hard run to 90-100 and yes I know that that is way too much but it has only happen when next to a ford or chevy!

ADAM
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM

I really dont see too much lag with mine. I can hit 55+ psi with mine but dont very often because I dont wont to hurt it. As far as install it was a straight drop in for me.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
I really dont see too much lag with mine. I can hit 55+ psi with mine but dont very often because I dont wont to hurt it. As far as install it was a straight drop in for me.
I know you have explained it to me already with the psi your seeing but every time I read it it amazes me, That truck must fuel HEAVY , I thought I could fuel a super b hard , I can see peg a 1625 gauge with ease your must break the needle .

Jason
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 PM

I dont pull much, but when at the track I can run around 1300*. I am going to change my timing to 16* and hope that this will lower egts as well. So I can run a 0 plate to get more power and hopefully 12s
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seem that this could be the turbo for me. The only confusion I have is weather or not I would need a new downpipe? I have a DPP 4" off of my Hx 35 and it would be nice if it bolted up. But I would mind the extra $ if it was worth it in HP gains. Also, are there any issues with surging or is that only with larger singles?

ADAM
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM

I dont pull much, but when at the track I can run around 1300*. I am going to change my timing to 16* and hope that this will lower egts as well. So I can run a 0 plate to get more power and hopefully 12s
WHAT!!!!!

Why so low, are you ported?

Have you got the orginal Super B or the one they are supposed or may have realeased in the past month or so. I am bummed that you can run more fuel than me and be cooler, I do run 4" to your 5" but I can't see a huge difference in that, maybe 100 degreees.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by greenworks
WHAT!!!!!

Why so low, are you ported?

Have you got the orginal Super B or the one they are supposed or may have realeased in the past month or so. I am bummed that you can run more fuel than me and be cooler, I do run 4" to your 5" but I can't see a huge difference in that, maybe 100 degreees.
I got my super b this summer. I too run a 4" downpipe into 5" exhaust and not ported. I may run a little hotter because 1300* is what I see after I cross the line and let off the fuel. I have glanced at it during the run and was still only seeing ~1300*.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by White00
Thanks for the replies, it seem that this could be the turbo for me. The only confusion I have is weather or not I would need a new downpipe? I have a DPP 4" off of my Hx 35 and it would be nice if it bolted up. But I would mind the extra $ if it was worth it in HP gains. Also, are there any issues with surging or is that only with larger singles?

ADAM
The downpipe bolts to the turbo via a v-band clamp. Does your downpipe from your hx 35 clamp on or it clamped to a flange?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by White00

ADAM
The super b requires a full 4" down pipe. Not the necked down version that your HX-35 uses. Get ahold of JDGnut. He can get ahold of a 4" down pipe for ya.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 PM

I got my super b this summer. I too run a 4" downpipe into 5" exhaust and not ported. I may run a little hotter because 1300* is what I see after I cross the line and let off the fuel. I have glanced at it during the run and was still only seeing ~1300*.
Wow that is great egt's numbers for your fueling, I can see 1600+ after 2-3 seconds of 5th gear after rowing through the gears hard I have never ran the 1/4 but I would assume I would be in the 1700 range

I did some number crunching and your are 714m (2350') closer to sea level than me which may attribute to some of the differnce but not all

Just for my interset what do you dyno roughly, judging by a 13 sec 1/4 I am thinking in the 500-525 rwhp range? I ran once but had a weak vp that I didn't know about until a few weeks later but I should be good for 450ish rwhp.

It is very intersting to me that two trucks with somewhat simlar fueling you having more even and the difference in EGT's.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by greenworks
Just for my interset what do you dyno roughly, judging by a 13 sec 1/4 I am thinking in the 500-525 rwhp range? I ran once but had a weak vp that I didn't know about until a few weeks later but I should be good for 450ish rwhp.

It is very intersting to me that two trucks with somewhat simlar fueling you having more even and the difference in EGT's.
I have not ran it on a dyno but will this spring after timing adjustments. It seems wierd that you are running so hot. It might be fueling in 5th with a manual that makes a difference.

On another note, I know I have buddy with similar mods as me but is way slower. Maybe my truck is a freak

Quick Reply: BD Super B Turbo?