Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD Race Anti-Defueler BD RAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Race Anti-Defueler BD RAD

Anybody try this?? I cant stand the rate of RPM increase limited that is programmed into our Dodge Ram 24 valves ECM... This is why the trucks are such slugs in second gear and we resort to clutch slipping launces in third..

I am well aware that Marco's wonderfull MAD ECM totally resolves this problem, but from the sounds of BD RAD literature this might too....

Anybody got it???

Kevin
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know but I am curious too........the low rpm fueling stinx - bigtime........nobody seems to talk much of the BD anti-defueler.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:17 PM

do a search and you'll find some info. many people have them but I believe most bought it for drag racing.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM

I've had one on my truck for some time. In race mode it definitely gets rid of the de-fueling issues i was having when leaving the line at the track in 4wd with the boost up. It also keeps my tach and other gauges from working when in race mode. (speedo still works) I only use mine at the track for that reason. I don't like not having oil pressure readings, etc, but it shaves some time off the 60' so i chance it. All the other time i just keep it in the position for normal operation and the gauges and everything else work just like normal. I like it. Oh yeah, one other thing. After putting it in race mode (tach stops working) and then going back to normal mode... i always get a check engine light. It goes away after three or four times driving the truck without using the RAD in race mode.
Chris
Old 02-01-2005, 06:31 PM

I was under the impression that the BD anti-defueler was only for automatics??? The manual tranny ECM has no way of knowing what gear you're in....
andy
Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Muted User

I have the BD RAD and yes the anti-defueler part of it only works with automatics. So it will not help with your clutch slipping 3rd gear launches. If you want to take the speed governor off thats what you could use it for.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Muted User

Well, yes I know that it would not know which gear I am in, but the problem that I am talking about is when the RATE of rpm rise is too quick, the engine does not fuel agressively enough to keep up with it. If we launch in second gear, the RPMS are rising very quickly and the stupid torque management program in the ECM, ( which was built for yuppies so they wouldnt spill their cafe latte or distract them from their cell phone conversation) , comes into play and severely limits the fueling. As a result, the truck is an absolute joke in second gear.... If you launch in third, the RATE OF increase of RPM's is slower and the engine fuels hard, so this is what we do...

It is absolutely absurd, and its why guys who previously had 12 valve trucks and bought new 24 Valve trucks cant stand them.... Its not the valves thats the problem its the stupid computer program.....

So for all you 12 valve guys... youre not properly valved... your just properly PUMPED....

I was hoping the RAD would take care of this, but I guess I'll just have to get Marco's MAD ECM to have a real truck which adds fuel when I push the pedal down and doesnt question me or my intentions about pushing the pedal down with some ridiculous limiting program designed for yuppies... When I mash the pedal I want full fuel, G$@ Da#$%! and I want it now

(Did I mention I hate the Dodge ECM program and yuppies????)

Kevin
Old 02-02-2005, 12:04 AM

I dunno about the other guys who drag race 5 speeds, but I launch in 3rd since I run out of RPM BEFORE the 60' mark. I ran ~1 sec slower 1/4mi launching in 2nd than launching in 3rd. It also looks rediculous in the video. The truck launches and I'm immediately clutching to grab the next gear.

For daily driving, the Edge boxes (comp or EZ) bring back the lower RPM range. They're more responsive & the truck feels more peppy. However, for icey conditions this is exactly the opposite of what I needed. Edge thought of us and put in a 1x1 defuel level. Problem solved.

brandon.
(The cool video is the one with 3 tires screaming for mercy and begging for traction )
Old 02-02-2005, 04:17 PM

how the heck do you get of the line with my setup the truck just bucks, man I should have more than enough power at roughly 450rwhp, do you let the clutch slip for quite a while? I can do it going easy but if I try to getthe rpm's up It just won't work.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:51 PM

Start with your right foot between the brake and the throttle. The left foot is on the clutch. Increase the throttle while still holding the brake to your desired RPM. Let up on the clutch enough to spool the turbo to your desired launch boost. The moment of truth... in one motion, release clutch, release brake and make the throttle hit the floor.

Be very, very careful about the amount of time with the clutch slipping. This will reduce clutch lifespan. You could end up at the other end of the drag strip with no clutch and in need of new Hanes.

brandon.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
Increase the throttle while still holding the brake to your desired RPM. Let up on the clutch enough to spool the turbo to your desired launch boost.

I know it's off subject, but what would the desired RPM be? Maybe 2200/2300 and say 10 psi?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Muted User

yup, thats just about right. I was doing mine at about 2,200 Rpms I wasnt really looking at boost though, just listening to the whine.... like joe said, get it just right and the R's stay up, the boost stays up, and you launch really nice and smooth. this is of course very very hard on your clutch though, as I hope you understand.

Greenworks, if youre bucking, your letting it out too fast... let it slip a little more...

Kevin
Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Moose10
I know it's off subject, but what would the desired RPM be? Maybe 2200/2300 and say 10 psi?
Well, I'm really not sure. I'm thinking it depends on the truck. Mine has a sweet spot that it starts to spool at in neutral. I've dumped all the way up at 3000, but it was a bit high. Again, this takes lots of life off the clutch. "pay to play"

brnadon.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Re: BD Race Anti-Defueler BD RAD

Originally posted by 600 Megawatts
Anybody try this?? I cant stand the rate of RPM increase limited that is programmed into our Dodge Ram 24 valves ECM... This is why the trucks are such slugs in second gear and we resort to clutch slipping launces in third..

I am well aware that Marco's wonderfull MAD ECM totally resolves this problem, but from the sounds of BD RAD literature this might too....

Anybody got it???

Kevin
I have both the RAD and the Marco ECM and miniscule amount of knowledge from modifying my 24 valve, going on five years. C-HAWK summed up the RAD quite nicely, even though with my truck I only loose the tach while in defuel mode. As for your statement about ex 12 valvers not liking 24 because of their defueling mode that was made for the yuppies, you must of forgotten that for the first three years of production the 24 valves didn’t defuel. Which tells me you must have a 2001 or newer 24 valve.

FWIW The first updated ECM I tried didn’t defeat defueling but my current one does. I have read a couple of your earlier posts and though I don’t always agree with your assumptions, your sickness is interesting none the less. If you get the chance I highly recommend you go for a ride in a 12 sec auto. lol

IMO Dodge didn’t add defueling in the ECM for the yuppies rather for transmission longevity and to try to avoid warrantee abusers.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Muted User

Yep, youre right, mine is a 2001. There is no doubt that an auto would be far better for the 1/4m. But this is my diesel truck. And diesel trucks have a clutch and lots of gears!!!

Dont get me wrong, I have an NHRA superstock car, a GT/FA, its a low ten second all steel car. I run an auto and wouldnt have it any other way for the 1/4m. But my diesel rig will allways have a clutch!!!

Thanks for being interested in my sickness, most others have lost interest allready

Here is a question, would an earlier year ECM, say a 2000 work in my 2001 or would it be engine code city??? I really need to get rid of this defueling.....

Kevin

Quick Reply: BD Race Anti-Defueler BD RAD